Boy/Girl, same room, need separate spaces. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm not exactly sure which category this best belongs to, but I know all of the posters here are good at problem solving, so here it goes.

I currently have a 2 bedroom townhouse. My problem is that I have 2 children. One almost 6 year old girl, and an almost 4 year old boy. So for the past 3 years they've shared a room. It has been fine, up until last year when my daughter began kindergarten. Since then she has expressed the desire for her own space, and I think with the way she operates she is in desperate need of alone time. I've tried to come up with solutions on how to make my home a 3 bedroom. It's doable, but would result in tiny bedrooms (all would have a closet, door and window though). This is also the more costly option. Now, I don't want to live here forever, but houses are selling for $10,000 under what I owe on mine, so moving is not in the near future. I'm wondering what good options to separate their room would be. The room is quite narrow, with a closet taking up one entire side wall. Any Ideas on how to organize their room into two separate spaces?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do you have an IKEA near you? They are quite clever with using bookcases, hanging curtains or other furniture to separate a space.

Are you single? Maybe give your daughter your bedroom and have yourself a Murphy bed thing for yourself in the main living room.
#3 of 25 Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Any pictures? I'm finding it hard to visualize the room.

I too have a bedroom with the closet taking up one wall entirely. It makes it more difficult to split the room into 2 sections. Are they in bunk beds? How big is the room?

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#4 of 25 Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I found this online.

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Boys-Rooms/Custom-Closet-Bunk-Beds/detail.esi?oid=454383

Maybe if you condense the beds like this, giving your daughter the top bunk... the rest of the room could be split somehow between them with her having a small spot of her own.
#5 of 25 Old 09-15-2012, 03:34 PM

What about a bed tent or canopy of some sort where she could go for some quiet? This is cool http://www.wendyusa.com/d26460279.html , but any bed tent might work.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Do you have an IKEA near you? They are quite clever with using bookcases, hanging curtains or other furniture to separate a space.
Are you single? Maybe give your daughter your bedroom and have yourself a Murphy bed thing for yourself in the main living room.

Nope, no IKEA. I could get those cubicles, I have one 2X8square one currently for their books/toys. Maybe a few more could act as a 1/2 wall divider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

Any pictures? I'm finding it hard to visualize the room.

I too have a bedroom with the closet taking up one wall entirely. It makes it more difficult to split the room into 2 sections. Are they in bunk beds? How big is the room?

I only have one picture currently. I can get back to you with more. I'm coming off a double night shift at the moment. To the right of her bed is the door. When opened it meets her bedframe. Directly to the left is the only window, and kitty corner her bed, behind the picture is the boy's bed. The wall the pink frame is hanging on, opposite it is the wall with closets. It's about 3 folding doors wide. I'll try to remember to snap a few more pictures this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I found this online.
http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Boys-Rooms/Custom-Closet-Bunk-Beds/detail.esi?oid=454383
Maybe if you condense the beds like this, giving your daughter the top bunk... the rest of the room could be split somehow between them with her having a small spot of her own.

That's a really great idea. Unfortuntely, I worry with the heights. Both of them sleep all over the place. I talked about getting the bunk beds one night. As i was talking about it, one of them fell out of their bed. Later that night, the other fell out. On top of that, my son thinks he's spiderman. He scales the door frames and I'm pretty certain he would think the bunk beds are an indoor jungle gym. I wish it would work though, because It'd allow them both their own space.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

#7 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 AM

Ok so from what I'm gathering, you've got two beds right next to each other going along the entire back wall? or am I mistaken..? If you do, then it would be easy to seperate the room into two sections..

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#8 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 AM

That's a really great idea. Unfortuntely, I worry with the heights. Both of them sleep all over the place. I talked about getting the bunk beds one night. As i was talking about it, one of them fell out of their bed. Later that night, the other fell out. On top of that, my son thinks he's spiderman. He scales the door frames and I'm pretty certain he would think the bunk beds are an indoor jungle gym. I wish it would work though, because It'd allow them both their own space.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Just look for a bunk bed that has a good height rail.  They all have a rail, but some seem less escapable than others.  My kids' bunk bed has rails on both sides so she's not going to slip down along the wall either.  Ours are maxtrix brand, which I've been really thrilled with, but I realize they're kind of pricey.  Even cheaper ones are generally pretty safe regarding falling out.  Make sure you have an approved bunk bed mattress for the top, though.  This means the mattress is thin and so the rail will be higher compared to having a regular thickness mattress which would make your child's sleeping height be too close to the top of the rail.  Our rail is a good foot above the mattress... 

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

Ok so from what I'm gathering, you've got two beds right next to each other going along the entire back wall? or am I mistaken..? If you do, then it would be easy to seperate the room into two sections..

^ this was my original thought, basically.

I had a friend who shared a room with her sister in high school (no bunk beds) and they just hung a sheet over some clothesline and divided the room in two that way.  They also positioned furniture in each side as if it was a single room.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#10 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

If I do put a divider between the two beds, it leaves my daughter with no window. It'd be perfect if the window were over to the right 2 feet.

#11 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Do a half-wall-height divider?  Maybe a bookshelf or something?

#12 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM

I think she may like something like one of these until you can decide on something more permanent. It doesn't look like there is much room for bookcases. Maybe a curtain hanging from the ceiling would work.

http://www.childrenskidsfurniture.com/ivg2/y/productid-383109-.htm?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google-childrenskidsfurniture.com&utm_term=383109
http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-Tents-Secret-Castle/dp/B00009IMAN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347834058&sr=8-1&keywords=bed+tent

#13 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

No, there's really not a lot of space. She would probably like something like that. I was looking at the pictures, and I could open up the 2 doors of the closet and use that as his space, and then there would be room for bookshelves. I would use the third closet door for their clothing. There is a two-tier hanging rack in that one.

#14 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 PM

That's a good idea. Just take the doors off of the double closet. I tried to put my dd's crib mattress in her closet space, and it didn't fit by about an inch. I have seen some rooms set up like that, and it's cute.

#15 of 25 Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Until I read the part about their falling out of their beds, I was going to suggest loft beds, so they could sleep up top and then hang a curtain around the bottom part for a private area for each of them.  Maybe this will be an option in a year or so?  My daughter is 5-1/2 and sleeps in the top bunk and has never fallen out, even navigates the ladder in the middle of the night when sleepy without a problem.  You may be surprised how well that rail works :)

Otherwise, could you just put some sort of curtain/canopy around her bed to give her a private area for relaxing? What does she want privacy for spefically?  My kids share a room and when dd wants alone time, I just keep her brother out for a set period of time (not all day, of course, but set a reasonable limit).  HTH!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#16 of 25 Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM

Ikea has some nice low bunkbeds/lofts.

Looks like the closet is fairly empty. What about a nook in there?

Eta: thanks shellie!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#17 of 25 Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Can you switch rooms with them?  Is your room better suited for 2 beds and sharing?  Give the kids your room and you take the awesome green room!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#18 of 25 Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

Ike's has some nice low bunkbeds/lofts.
Looks like the closet is fairly empty. What about a nook in there?

I love spell check.  I sold an "Ike's mirror" on my swap&buy group.  DH was trying to figure out who Ike was.  Lol

#19 of 25 Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 AM

Another vote for switching rooms. The novelty should help for a while, and maybe the master is configured differently enough that a divide would work well. Also, is there a space somewhere else in the house for a girls' lair that could be curtained or bookshelved off with some nice, squashy bean bags or a twin mattress and canopy? Even taking an armchair out of a living room or setting up a sofa with the back several feet away from a wall and making a cozy home in the space.

Heather

#20 of 25 Old 09-19-2012, 04:22 AM

If you can't change rooms how bout hanging a curtain to surround the bed to make it a little tent area for her.. We did this when we had bunk beds but it would work for single beds as well.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#21 of 25 Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM

Could you just attach a curtain rod to the ceiling that would close off each bed for privacy? 

http://www.overstock.com/guides/how-to-hang-a-curtain-rod-from-the-ceiling

http://www.redbookmag.com/recipes-home/tips-advice/curtain-paneled-bed-project#slide-1

Make the closet into a private hang out. You could simply put some big pillows on the floor or a bean bag chair... maybe a bookshelf.

http://needspark.wordpress.com/2010/06/24/closets-as-rooms/

http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/2010/06/when-is-closet-not-closet-when-it-is.html

Create a private space somewhere else in the house for your dd/ds to go when they want to be alone.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#22 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Talked to my mother and her husband. He has really taken to this issue and drawn up some plans to turn the larger master into two rooms. They're suppose to do this in a month. I'm super excited about this. Smaller rooms is okay by me. And will actually, hopefully work to my advantage during a sale, eventually. Even though the rooms will be smaller, it will be the only 3 bedroom. And this will hopefully make up the difference between what I owe and what things are selling for. 

I have to make a few decisions, like weather to give up the "master suite" in exchange for a closet in the 3rd bedroom. If I give up the master suite, whether or not to close off the separate entrance to the bathroom.

#23 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM

When I was growing up,my father divided one room into two for my brother and me.He just used sheets of smooth plywood standing upright and held in place by a u -shaped channel top and bottom. Half round molding covered the joints .It took up less space than a regular partition and was easily removed.Also think if there is a way to configure things so both of the new bedrooms can access the "master " bath.You would then use the other bath as yours. 

#24 of 25 Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We have loft beds for our oldest boy (almost 6) and girl (10). They have shared for a year and a half. They have pretty high railings, so we've never had one fall out. There is a lot of room underneath for playing privately, we hung curtains around the bottom. We have also tacked about hanging curtains from the cd ing to enclose the whole bed, I saw an awesome pic of Pinterest of that.
But really, we mostly all end up together at the dining table, or they play outside.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#25 of 25 Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM

Saw this today and thought of you! Seems like it would work well in your space. (The top photo). Maybe you don't need to renovate??

http://dreams-and-wishes-blog.blogspot.ca/2012/03/modern-modular-kids-rooms.html

Tags
Organizing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page