How much clothing do I need? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I never thought I would be the type to need to declutter my clothing, but, I confess, the time has come! I have outgrown my storage space, and really must do something about this. I have only a tiny dresser, and a small closet. I could theoretically do laundry weekly, but in reality, I had better not count on it. Sweaters that need to go to the dry cleaners probably have a slower turnover than things I wash at home. I own 4 or 5 jackets, which is probably more than I need, but each is so unique! Things have gotten out of hand because I spend way too much time at thrift stores, and can't resist a bargain.

I dress fairly casually for work (jeans or slacks with a nice blouse or sweater), so that doesn't require a dedicated wardrobe. I wear Birkenstocks when it is dry, and boots when it rains. I love fancy socks, colorful scarves. Hawaiian shirts have a place in my heart, but I don't usually wear then for work. I don't really need to have a separate wardrobe for days off, but I would like a couple tank tops/shorts for hot days at home. I sleep in t-shirts, with or without pj bottoms (seasonally adjusted).

How many pants/tops is reasonable? How many shoes do 2 feet need? How many scarves is excessive? I would like to pare it down to the practical/necessary, but don't want to go overboard on the donations. Can you help me judge where the balance is?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#2 of 3 Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Some minimalists will say a 10 piece wardrobe, not counting underwear, is all they need. Some people can't imagine getting away with less than is already stuffed into their storage area.

I've found project 333 very helpful for starting to pare down my wardrobe. I just started this month. You pick 33 items to wear for three months. And store off season clothes out of sight. Honestly, 80% of what I've been wearing recently is 5 t-shirts and 2-3 pairs of jeans. I have 2 button-up shirts, a cardigan, 2 sweaters, and 2 jackets for layering when it starts to get cold. But I'm in a super casual office and hardly ever dress up.

One often cited way of dealing with clothing clutter is to turn everything so the hanger is backwards in your closet, after you wear something turn the hanger around when you put it back, then donate what hasn't been worn in 3/6/9/12 months.

Also, I've found the idea of letting go of your "fantasy selves," and being realistic about what clothing your life actually requires right now has helped me let go of the things that aren't me anymore, or never were.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#3 of 3 Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would take everything out of your closet and dresser

Put back the following for each season:

10 complete work outfits (some outfits may share a sweater or jacket)
5 weekend tops and maybe 3 bottoms.
1 or 2 Dressy outfits
5 scarves unless there are more included in the work clothes that you actually wear

Take the rest and pack it away in another room for a while. See what you can live without and then go ahead and donate. This way if you wish you had something and you really can't do without it, add it in if there is space. Otherwise trade it for something you originally kept. I would let your space and how you live/what you really wear determine how much you keep more than a number, but this is a good place to start.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

Tags
Simplifying , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page