Crafters, how do you store your supplies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm not much of a crafter.  But every so often I get a brainstorm for a new project, or I need a homemade gift, and then I have to go digging through legions of cardboard boxes to find the materials I need.  Then after I'm done with the project, I usually just take everything I used and dump them all back into one of the boxes.  It's utter chaos.  I'd love to find some way to organize the supplies I have so that I don't have to do that every time!  Or worse, forget what I have or fail to find it, and go buy more ... duh.gif

The worst part is, I tend to collect hand-me-down or garage-sale craft supplies, which means I have piles of things I've never used but might someday.  It's the only category of item that I hesitate to declutter, which is OK, I suppose, but I really need a way to make my stash more usable.  

So what do you do to keep your craft things organized?  Any brilliant ideas I can borrow? 

For what it's worth, we live in a very small house, so there's no way to take over a room in the house or a closet or something.  I'm basically stuck with basement or attic for storage.  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#2 of 2 Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a combination of clear shoe boxes and copier paper boxes.  I sort by project or type of material.  For example, I keep all the buttons in a box with beads and bells and other fun junk, but I have a clear shoe box with different buttons for a monogram pillow project.  That way I can pull out one little shoe box and do what I need.  Shoe boxes are labeled with a post-it and larger ones with sharpie on the box.  Nothing fancy, but it works. :)

I recently moved from a house with a killer closet system for my crafting area (it was ginormous) to all open spaces so I'm using half of my closet for this need.  So there's a bookcase in there for the clear boxes and a shelf for the copier sized ones.  I'm getting used to this system in this space, but I've found that putting things back in their correct box helps me know where to look.  Like you, I collect projects and things I can use for projects and supplies that I might need one day.  Luckily, my mind is a steel trap when it comes to my crafting things so I know what I have...I needed to be able to find X or Y without opening every single box.

Kids weren't allowed in the crafting closet at the old house and now I've made my personal closet off limits.  I 100% trust my six year-old to use things appropriately and not spill super glue all over the carpet, but the two year-old is a semi-nightmare so I just made a hard and fast rule.

Oh, last thing, now I need to figure out how I can sew in there since there isn't an electrical outlet in the closet and I don't want to keep an extension cord running throughout my bedroom.  I'm pretty stoked about my space, though!

Are your kids in school?  I sent mounds of crafting stuff in a massive declutter to my daughter's Kinder classroom last year.  Holy cow, the teacher thought I was amazing!  I did the same thing for her preschool class.  Basically, when I get to the point of "I *might* use this." it's gone.  No need it taking up my space when the teacher will actually make something cool out of it.  Plus, teachers share so if there's too much of one thing it tends to make the rounds until it's used up.  Just a thought.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

Tags
Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page