'Getting ready to move' Thread. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In feel for you Micah Mae! I was 12 wks pregnant when we moved last time and it was rough. I did a horrible job of preparing and just them everything we owned into boxes. We ended up moving garbage by accident!!! It was pretty embarrassing how much we moved that we should have chucked or given away. : P
#32 of 42 Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 PM

Sorry, just *threw* everything we owned into boxes.
#33 of 42 Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 PM

Sorry, just *threw* everything we owned into boxes.
#34 of 42 Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Micah Mae, maybe nesting will kick in, and you'll have more energy.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#35 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post

Micah Mae, maybe nesting will kick in, and you'll have more energy.

Man I hope so! 

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#36 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I am still here!   

Micah Mae - -I have move 5 times while pregnant!  And it was hard every time.  Just go slow, do what you can and ask for help.  I know I would get sooooooo tired and simply have to lie down.  Each time, I would just get our stuff moved (with help) and then take a while to sift through things.  It will happen, just slowly.  And congrats on your new baby. 

In my world -- we have an offer on our house!   We are selling for the same price we bought the house, walking away with very little.  We are disappointed with the money, but the market is so bad here that I think we are lucky to be able to sell at all.  We have a move date and now just need to get things cleared out and packed and cleaned.  

My new list:

~~  sell freezer on Craigslist

~~  finally clean out window seat

~~  clean out garage

~~  many loads of stuff to Goodwill

~~  sell our second car

~~  cut up old wood and haul to dump (pressure treated or I would just burn it)

I am sure my list will grow and grow.  We have stuff squirreled away all over our house.  innocent.gif

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#37 of 42 Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I'm 32 weeks and we're moving within 4 weeks. Ugh. Just to the neighboring town so it's not a far move but still. I don't have a list. Clean/organize everything is my list. :( I'm so tired, lol.

I am 27 weeks and moving this weekend. I've been exhausted packing up everything, trying to "push" heavy boxes around, and all while also working FT and taking care of my 2 kids. I can't wait for this to be over!

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#38 of 42 Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM

So I have decided on 5 large suitcases...1 for each person. That should be enough for toys, books, clothing, etc to fit into. I purged my kids clothing once last month but my oldest and youngest are growing like weeds so I am purging again tomorrow. My 3 yr old just seems to be stuck...poor guy. I am going thru the book/games collection and selling what I don't want. I have decided that the only dishes i will be taking are my large stew pot, cast iron skillet and pyrex baking dishes...and my husbands favorite chef knife. Eveything else I am going to donate. All my furniture will be sold. The only large objects will be my sewing machine and sewing tub, my DH new TV and the porta crib.

AT least I hope this is the way it works out lol...

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#39 of 42 Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacefulSeams View Post

So I have decided on 5 large suitcases...1 for each person. That should be enough for toys, books, clothing, etc to fit into. I purged my kids clothing once last month but my oldest and youngest are growing like weeds so I am purging again tomorrow. My 3 yr old just seems to be stuck...poor guy. I am going thru the book/games collection and selling what I don't want. I have decided that the only dishes i will be taking are my large stew pot, cast iron skillet and pyrex baking dishes...and my husbands favorite chef knife. Eveything else I am going to donate. All my furniture will be sold. The only large objects will be my sewing machine and sewing tub, my DH new TV and the porta crib.

AT least I hope this is the way it works out lol...

Sweet!  We made a huge international move a few years ago and this is exactly what we did.  We each had one huge duffle and took only what fit.  We moved to a moderately furnished rental, so we did have beds and a table.  The only things I really missed were my favorite cook pot and my best knife and you are all ready bringing those items.  

It was the best for my family.  Stepping away from all of our things, all of the fluff in our daily lives was the most freeing and wonderful thing.  My kids were pleasantly surprised by how simple and fun their days could be, we were motivated to get out and explore our new country, and we lived so much easier with less.  It really was wonderful.  

And I am going to do it again!  I am doing the same as you -- donating nearly everything -- we are keeping beds this time since replacement value is quite high and a kitchen table that was dh's mom's and is rather sentimental.  

I keep unloading things - just gifted my canning jars to friends, freecycled some stuff out of the garage and sold the freezer.  I think the only thing I will miss is the freezer -- we packed that thing full during berry season.  I will replace it when we have a house again.   

#40 of 42 Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 AM

We ended up choosing a larger apartment unit that came up with the same landlord (in the same building). It's 1450 sq ft and gorgeous. Perfect for us with our three kids age 1-5! It's ground floor with one patio open to the back communal yard area & one enclosed for unsupervised kid play. I spent all night (again!) dreaming of where everything would go, and excited to be actually moving (and done dreamjng about it!) in under 2 weeks!
#41 of 42 Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM

Joining this thread. My family is getting ready to move (yet again) for my husband's job and as a homeschooling mama share the OP's desires to make the move as smooth as possible on the homeschool front. My husband has yet to learn when we're leaving for sure but sometime in the next six months making it prime time to get to work on decluttering & purging, selling off various items we don't wish to take along, and preparing for the move in other ways. 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#42 of 42 Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM

I love Freecycle!!!  

A nice family just picked up a big car top carrier that was in my garage.  Another big item checked off my To-Do list.  joy.gif

Tomorrow someone is picking up the freezer that I sold on Craigslist.  That will net us $150 and clear out a corner in the basement.   

And I am on the hunt for more things to list.  The piano is a big one that I need to deal with...probably will go on Freecycle.  It was free to us 10 years ago and I don't think it is worth anything.  It has been a good piano for the kids to learn on and shows a lot of wear.  

We have begun the countdown.  8 weeks till we move....yipes!!!!!  

Tags
Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page