Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In any given day, dh wears the following:

1. Outside "work" clothes

2. Clothes he worksout in

3. Clothes he sits around the house in

4. Possibly pajama pants

All of which he rewears either multiple times a day or for multiple days before he puts it in the dirty clothes. I'm happy that he makes less laundry this way BUT, all of these clothes being thrown in random places (at times all over the house!) are driving me crazy.  Sometimes, he even forgets where he puts it and leaves it lying and wears something else. Hey, it does't bother me if he wants to wear clean clothes but it would make me feel better if the dirty ones were in a confined location.

If you are dealing with this, how do you handle it?  Even if you aren't, any ideas?

TIA

#2 of 15 Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM

I don't have a great solution, DP leaves his various clothes that aren't dirty all over the place, too. 

As for me, I leave my PJ/lounge wear folded on top of the dirty clothes hamper.  I try to put away my work clothes that aren't dirty enough to be washed yet.  Sometimes I'm successful.  We also have a lot of hooks behind the bedroom door, but it drives me nuts because it's very visually unappealing to me.  DP uses the hooks fairly regularly.

lurk.gif  I look forward to hearing what other people do about this.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#3 of 15 Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.I've thought about hooks. It's not my preference but it beats having his clothes slung over various chair and even my clean laundry that I'm about to put away.   I try to make sure our PJ's go under our pillows so they are out of site. 

Keep the ideas coming :)

#4 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 AM

We have a drawer dedicated to clothing that will be reworn (usually pjs or workout clothes) and everything else is either too dirty (needs to go in the laundry) or clean enough to go back with other clean clothes (drawer/closet).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

That's a good idea Crunchy. Do the work out clothes ever stink worse after being enclosed?  Do you use a dresser drawer or is there a special item you bought with drawers that works well for this?

#6 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dh has a whole shelf in the closet for "not quite dirty" things. I have a bench on my side of the bedroom for mine.... you can't see it from the bedroom door.
#7 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camprunner View Post

That's a good idea Crunchy. Do the work out clothes ever stink worse after being enclosed?  Do you use a dresser drawer or is there a special item you bought with drawers that works well for this?

We have a little piece of furniture (almost like a mini storage bench) in our bathroom, one side is for cloth wipes and a drawer of newspapers/magazines and the other side has DH's & my drawers for pj's & workout stuff. So it's not in with our regular clothes & doesn't stink them up. I've never noticed the clothes themselves stinking worse being enclosed but we don't exactly work out long & hard these days lol so YMMV. You could always do something like those cloth cube drawers like this on open shelves if you are worried about the stink factor. It's nice not having to look at old clothes, you know?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh I like the idea of the cube and while I'd have to measure you may have a piece of furniture that could coincidentally fit one :)

#9 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hooks.

I would see if you can retrain him to always change his clothes in one place.

If not, I'd put dedicated hooks (for half-worn stuff) and a laundry basket (for dirty stuff) everywhere he is likely to toss something.  Get him hanging up the rewearables and putting the dirties in the basket.

We used to have a laundry basket in our entryway and one in each bedroom.  If there had been space I would have put one in the bathroom.  One kid's job was to empty and sort them approximately daily into tubs in the laundry room.

Good luck.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#10 of 15 Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: He got mad when I reminded him where to put his clothes for the 200th time.  He said "Fine, I'll just put them in the dirty clothes and make more work for you."  Oh thank goodness! I know it's not environmentally friendly but I've had such a hard time reeling him in on clutter and mess that I'd gladly wash his clothes more often to have one less thing lying around!

#11 of 15 Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 PM

I have a 2-hamper system, and they have to open-topped or nothing makes it in (for me just as much as him :)

The dirty laundry in the hall closet and the laundry "recycling" in the bedroom. It's even a blue basket. The deal is, when you're getting dressed, you go to the "recycling" before grabbing something "new" from the drawer, and on if the basket gets too full we gave go through it and put away the thing we won't re-wear for a while. the system worked better before our baby was walking and getting into everything.... now there's a pile at the end of my bed that ranges from folded to damp towels to rolled up peepee diaper.... and naybe a peanut butter sandwich :)

#12 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 PM

Oh I like the idea of a recycle hamper! My dh has a pile spread on the floor of his clothes that he intends to re- wear. I have just been tripping over it and kicking it out of the way.

Camprunner - was the system working up until this point? Maybe your dh was just in a crappy mood? It is hard to retrain someone and break old habits. Maybe the system needs tweaking to accommodate dh better?
#13 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 PM

I got dh and mysef organizer chains like these for clothes that we will wear more than once -> http://www.amazon.com/Original-Chain-Gang-Toy-Organizer/dp/B00012FGAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356148174&sr=8-1&keywords=chain+organizer

I use mine all the time for pajamas and exercise clothing. It doesn't take up much space because it is all vertical and it is fast to clip and unclip an item. The clips are like clothespins.

It is better than a pile on a chair or the floor.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#14 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

I got dh and mysef organizer chains like these for clothes that we will wear more than once -> http://www.amazon.com/Original-Chain-Gang-Toy-Organizer/dp/B00012FGAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356148174&sr=8-1&keywords=chain+organizer

I use mine all the time for pajamas and exercise clothing. It doesn't take up much space because it is all vertical and it is fast to clip and unclip an item. The clips are like clothespins.
It is better than a pile on a chair or the floor.

What a great idea. I'll bet that would work in my coat closet for hats and mittens too. Love it!

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#15 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoc View Post

Oh I like the idea of a recycle hamper! My dh has a pile spread on the floor of his clothes that he intends to re- wear. I have just been tripping over it and kicking it out of the way.
Camprunner - was the system working up until this point? Maybe your dh was just in a crappy mood? It is hard to retrain someone and break old habits. Maybe the system needs tweaking to accommodate dh better?

nope. He was in a crappy mood but I'm more than happy to wash his clothes if it means they don't have to just sit around.  I think that once I've convinced him to be neater in other areas we can revisit environmentally friendly options.  Until then, I'm having to get rid of environmentally friendly options that can make our house cluttered because I can't deal with it. If that and the compost pile on our kitchen counter were the only things I had to deal with, I could do it. Unfortunately, he comes from a family that lives in piles of junk and he takes after them.

Tags
Organizing , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page