How much clothing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much clothing do you keep for each child?

We are so fortunate to receive hand-me-downs from multiple families, but it is more than we need. I'm brainstorming how much to keep for each size so I can donate the rest. TIA for your input! :-)

Crunchy mama to DS (born 10/08) and DD (born 07/11).  I'm also a childbirth educator, birth doula, and urban homesteading hopeful.  chicken3.gif

#2 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM

For my 5 year old dd  I have at least 20 tops and 10 bottoms.  My DD also has about 8 dresses, 5 skirts and 5 or 6 pair of leggings

DS who is 7 has about 20 tops, 8-10 pair of pants/ sweats and 5 hoodies

DD who is 9 has 5 or 6 pairs of jeans, a jillion leggings and probably 25 tops and sweaters

DD who is 13- who knows - it's all over her floor

\For the younger 3- if they don't wear it- it goes!  

#3 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 PM

I have enough to wear for 2 weeks without washing (when we take a vacation its usually 2 weeks and I avoid doing laundry if I can help it). If it isn't worn within 6 months it goes, except for winter jackets and DH's dress uniforms.

I keep clothing without stains and tears for the next child when the older one grows out of it. If you aren't planning on having more children Id say save a few favorites (just in case) and give the rest to someone who can use it.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 PM

I have the same issue and keep about 10 days worth (so more outfits for little ones). I wash every week so it gives me wiggle room.

To keep for handing down in our family, I keep a little more, but never put it in the closet for different gender/fit/season

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#5 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM

I was just coming here to ask that same question.  We get a million hand me downs from my nieces and my MIL usually buys a few outfits, both of which are a huge blessing!  It's a lot though.  I already go through and get rid of things often but I still feel like it's more than we need.  Looking at the numbers here maybe it's not so bad though.  It's also not like I'm over-buying and wasting our money but I just don't want to hoard.  I do try to look at things and get rid of/pack away what doesn't get worn or I don't like.  Without going to count I'd say they both probably have at least 15-18 outfits but they are messy kids so many times we do go through more than one. 

ETA: I know it's not better but sometimes i fantasize about throwing it all out and starting from scratch because I would buy differently.  My SIL shops for outfits whereas I would probably go for more versatile things that I could layer in the winter.  e.i.  (because I have girls) dresses in the summer that they could then wear leggings and a long sleeve tee under in the winter. 

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying , Organizing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page