A Simple Christmas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to make each and everyday special for myself and my son but Christmas should have a little extra zing to it. Yes, I do celebrate the birth of Jesus and talk about it my son but I am not fanatical. We do go through the motion of cutting down a tree but everything is simple. White lights, favorite ornaments picked out by us and a few handmade at school from my son, a few large white candles to evoke a serene calm and one large wreath decorated with the biggest bow I can find hanging on the door. I also have a pink tree in my office, decorated in all pink and white, tone on tone, for fun.

My son and I really enjoy our time together. We are going to make cookies next week and he is choosing the Christmas meal- yummy homemade mac and cheese, peas, side salad and a small ham in brown sugar and pineapple topping. Peppermint ice cream for dessert. ;) The week before, I will have his 3 friends over, giving their families time to finish up what they need to do and let my son have some boy fun. Lego's it is!!!!

Over the years, since I divorced, I have tried to make each day special and to take each holiday to bring us closer. We have decided next year to go to the beach and be camping on Christmas eve. He doesn't know it but I bought him some camping items so we can start this spring. 

I don't feel the stress as in the past, when I was married and had to decorate a 1700 square foot home with items I didn't really care for. The stress of planning, cooking and cleaning up a large meal and the last minute stress of feeling like I didn't do enough, especially for the ex.

Can I add that my minimalist/simple living has allowed me to enjoy life so much more. I can feel the Spirit of Christmas moving through me more and all throughout the year. Merry Christmas y'all!!!

This precious time with my son cannot be traded for anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Beautiful post! I just commented to a friend that I am making a conscious effort to enjoy the holidays this year. Keeping decorations simple and enjoying some of the free holiday activities with my children. With 3 children and large families on both sides, it's easy to be overwhelmed and grumpy. I want my children to have happy memories of holidays, you've given me some great ideas. We went to the beach for Thanksgiving and avoided all the big family events. It was marvelous!
#3 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I noticed my son does not notice all the "decor" and to get it out of his system if he did, we go to a mall and get our fill. It's nice to come home to simple and calm.

#4 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, my son doesn't get into Christmas decorations much. He likes the lights of the houses we drive past at night. And he likes having a tree. But he would rather have me available to spend time with than have me putting up decorations or otherwise preparing for the holidays. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think it's all about balance and preference. We adore the holidays, but I loathe the pressure, crazy running around, excess gifting etc so I don't participate in what doesn't add value to our lives and keep the traditions and activities that do. I think most of the pressure and stress people feel is completely self-imposed. Do what works for your family and ditch what doesn't. Simple as that!

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another

Tags
Simplifying

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page