Help me spend some gift money - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm posting here and not frugality since I have more of a mindful home problem:

I have unexpectedly received some money from my Dad for the holidays. Wasn't expecting it this year since they also took everyone on a great trip, but I guess the trip was from mom, so still gave us money. 

I have long said that I need to hire a personal organizer to help. I believe DD and DH have some hoarding anxiety issues going on and I'm just disorganized and overwhelmed. I priced this out a few years ago and found a GREAT lady who sounded like she could really help. She had this whole plan where she spends the first few hours with you, then sets some goals for you, phone support and then she comes back. She told me she specialized in ppl with a LOT of stuff. Like perhaps pro to-hoarders. She was really, really expensive. Dad's gift money would pay for about half of the cost at her prices a few years ago - IF I can even find her contact info. I would need to pony up the rest. I've long thought I should do this. 

Trouble is, now the money is here (well, half of it) there's seems to be so many other priorities for it. THe family room has no comfy seating. Dad's money would pay for 2 armless chairs that could be pushed together that I've long had my eye on. The 20 yo dryer door won't stay closed without jamming several hundred pounds of fabric against it (Did I mention we have some stuff?!) 

I believe the professional organizing help would change my quality of life, but part of me thinks I should be able to do this myself (evidence is against me) and I'm balking at my half (at least) of the money. It's not something I would be likely to pay for myself. 

The dryer I can get along without but it would be nice to have one where I could just CLOSE the door. And seating would be nice too but we're getting by. 

What do you guys think?

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#2 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM

I've had a few different people come in to help me, and it really does help. However, I am the type of person who prefers them to stay and help me sort stuff. If I were able to focus and do it on my own, I'd have been done- ya know? I think I would take my time with the decision. Keep looking, I found a lady who only charged me $15 per hour to slowly organize a couple of areas. Then I found a pair of ladies who charged $30 per hour and in 3 hours had my messy basement all straightened up. I still had to go through and decide what could go, but that was more manageable when there was more order. But if you really think this lady would help you, then it's worth it. Are either of you handy and is the dryer door something that could be fixed?

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 04:52 AM

Hold onto the money for now-call it pay for yourself to do some of the organizing work.If you accomplish signifigant work you get paid with this money and can use it to buy seating and/or a dryer.If this does not make things happen, start looking at your options for outside help.

#4 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Paying myself won't really work. It's not that I lack motivation. I appear to lack ability. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#5 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Spend it on the organizer. You want it. And getting the tools to take care of that will last long after the next dryer goes.

One more idea would be to reach out to your people and see if anyone can come and help you. I know I do it for some of my friends. I just love the organizing and purging and it does go so much faster/funner with two.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#6 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 AM

Working with a professional organizer helped me SO much. It gave me the tools to get further on my own each time. Totally worth it!,,
#7 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM

So...what did you end up doing?

Tags
Organizing , Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page