Children's Papers, Crafts, and Assignments - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
My DC is in kindy, and apart from all of the completed assignments and craft projects from school, our house is full of all of the drawings, paintings, cut-out pictures etc that done out of school. I've been gathering some into a dresser drawer, but that drawer will only fit so much!

The paper messes will only get bigger as my other two start school. Of your children's paper and projects, how do you decide what to keep? How much do you keep? How and where do you store it or display it in a way that keeps your home tastefully uncluttered?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I take pictures of all my daughter's work and save about five 'flat' works per month and anything that is special to her. I also encourage her to consider giving some of her pieces to family who enjoy seeing her artwork. 

For display in my home, I have dedicated a wall in our home to be her "art wall" with easy change frames for displaying paintings, room for hanging canvas paintings, and drawings and a shelf for sculptures, pottery, and the like. Everything not on display is tucked inside to her "portfolio" which consists of several artist portfolio envelopes and containers for the other works.

My daughter also has shelves in her room for favorite art work and has decorated her walls with her own canvas paintings. We have a similar set-up in our learning room as well. 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM

So far DD (6 years) is our main artist but DS (2 years) has started producing his own work too :) We keep a few special pieces for their boxes but mostly I photograph and recycle!

As stuff gets created at home or comes home from school it goes on the fridge for a few days then into a cupboard. We sort through this every few weeks & recycle most of it, keeping the bits DD likes best. Any 3-dimensional creation involving food containers that comes home from school is photographed and recycled fairly quickly!

By the end of the school year we have a big pile of papers, even though we keep whittling it away throughout the year! Then we photograph all of them & the pile goes into the recycling bin. I also go though her school books and take pics of any special pages. Then I make up a photobook online, just a small 8x8 spiral bound one, and get it printed up, it's fab, you can put an entire year's worth of art into one lovely little book. So far we have one from playschool & one from Junior Infants (1st year of school), DD loves them, she looks through them a lot & loves to see her work in a real book :) 

Our kitchen/everything room has a lovely fireplace & above it we have hung several frames in which  are hung some of DD's drawings. We rotate them out every so often, she gets to choose what goes in them. And a few more can be seen on the noticeboard & fridge - also rotated frequently.

I digiscrap so I include their artwork in layouts and as part of events, sometimes if we have no photos from an event then DD's drawings take their place in a layout. She loves to see her art scattered in among all the photos on each page. Sometimes I'll do an entire page about her work - I have a lovely double spread capturing the first time she drew all of us individually in all our potato-person-like glory!

Erm.... think that's it, she also sticks her artwork on her bedroom wall :)

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

#4 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 AM

Could you link to where you get the spiral bound books made up please?

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#5 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post

Could you link to where you get the spiral bound books made up please?

I was about to say "I'm in Ireland so it might not be any good to you..." but then I saw your username :) I get them from photobox - you just upload all your pics then arrange & rearrange the pages :) , this type... http://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/photo-books/square-spiral-softcover-photobook I think the spiral binding works very nicely for a child's book & they do lots of bright coloured backgrounds & cutesy pictures that you can add to the pages etc. so DD enjoys helping me design them!

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

Tags
Decluttering , Organizing , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page