Garage sale or just donate - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Find out if your town or housing area has an annual sale. You might be able to do it without spending anything on advertising :D

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#32 of 38 Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM

i am struggling with this as well. I have no time to have a yard sale without my toddler and my new place the road is just to busy so I cannot fathom trying a yard sale alone with dd and ds has soccer on saturdays and I go to work for a few hours on sundays at a church. My sister said I could bring stuff to her sale but the drive to her place would drastically negate any money i would make. I have sold a few items on craigslist but most my items are not selling. I would definitely like the extra money. I have tried children's orchard and it is a huge disapointment. But my garage is in desperate need of purging. I do donate the unsellable items and weed through and get things to give away to friends and family but there is just so much kids stuff left still!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#33 of 38 Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 PM

I say if you have any debt at all, sell. If you are debt-free, donate.

I did a lot of selling over the years, but we were struggling financially as well back then (probably from buying all that JUNK we didn't need ;) lol). When I reached the end of selling things (pared down to just a few suitcases of stuff left) I was so over selling. It had drained so much of my time and life. I can say every little bit adds up fast! I easily made several hundred dollars every yard sale and I hardly sold anything. You realize just how easily things of little value can cost you a lot of money as a buyer. You also learn new appreciation for the value and price of things when you have to sell things like that. Because you often can only get a quarter of what you paid, even if they are brand new. It just makes you become so much more careful about where and how you spend money in future. You really can make a lot from selling though, so if you need to get out of debt it is definitely worthwhile. Otherwise, it does suck a lot of time that in my opinion is probably not worth it. At one point it was like having a full time job for me, I was getting rid of so much so fast.  

I donated a ton in the end anyway because we had so much left that didn't sell. I didn't want to have any more garage sales (hate them) and I came across this awesome concept shortly before I was done getting rid of things that says: GIVE FREELY, RECEIVE FREELY. It changed my perspective in a lot of ways. I always loved to give, but now it's like a way of living for me, an approach to life. I feel like if I give something out of real value that I would otherwise of wanted to get something for, I am making an even bigger sacrifice, but also making a bigger contribution to someone else's life. I love the feeling of giving to someone else who needs something when I really don't need it. It may have monetary value, but it doesn't have actual value to me. Also we love to shop at thrift stores so I feel like that is good as well since you are providing clothes and such for other people in need, whilst they are providing the same for you when you are in need. I don't necessarily believe in Karma but I do believe in many ways, you get what you give in life. And that doesn't apply to only 'stuff'. I apply the give freely concept to all areas of my life.

Good luck with it all! :) 

#34 of 38 Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM

I would much rather have the stuff out of my house and not have to deal with setting up a sale, staffing a sale, dealing with hagglers (I suck at haggling on the buying end, and have never dealt with an aggressive haggler on the selling end). And we'd probably make an equal amount back from the tax writeoff. Alternately, I'd much rather work an extra shift at work if I want money to pay off debts. 

#35 of 38 Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 AM

I have never done a yard sale, I have only ever contributed nice stuff to some mom's fundraiser yard sale type thing where I pick the price and they sell it and I get a portion of that or they give it back after the sale. It didn't work out well, so I never did it again. 

I have a spot by my front door for stuff to donate, throw it in the back of the van when I'm headed in the direction of the thrift store I like, and drop it off. Then its all gone forever! I think when doing a big purge its helpful in many ways to donate - I think it can affect your future buying habits positively, like when your walking through Target and have the urge to pick something up, it hits a little harder thinking that $20 item will be donated in a few weeks and its a waste of money completely. Second, it is motivating to keep going when you see progress quickly. All those things gone feels great! I prefer that feeling to the feeling of seeing that huge pile of things to sell, knowing its something else I have to do, when will I get to it, will I even get what I want for it, all the work of answering emails, dropping off to ship or dealing with people coming to pick it up. No thank you! Not worth it to me at all...

#36 of 38 Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else suggested but you might try the website/iPhone app Offer Up. I've had excellent luck with this in selling things and offering stuff for free on there! It's kind of like a nicer Craigslist, very picture oriented and very quick and easy if you have a smart phone. (You can post something easily in under two minutes from your phone.). Also, if you have enough to donate, chances are good that Goodwill will pick up...

Good luck!
#37 of 38 Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My church has a sale every spring, and they have a storage room to take donations throughout the year. It's much easier for me to bring things there than to store them and deal with a sale myself. I get a tax write-off; the church uses the proceeds for youth activities (we make about $2000/year).

The other place I like to donate is our local Women's shelter. They take toys, household goods, small appliances, and I know they are greatly needed and appreciated.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#38 of 38 Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Keep in mind, there is no tax deduction for donations unless you itemize your deductions. I don't know much about taxes, except that it has never been worth it for us to itemize ours since that standard deduction is like $11,0000. So unless you have really high medical bills or things like that, saving records of your donations is rarely worthwhile. 

Tags
Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page