What gives *you* inspiration to declutter? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInSeptember View Post

My most recent addiction that gave me SO MUCH will-power to declutter and consign/donate a ton of stuff was this show called Consumed on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJfGRzHcWM

13 episodes can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BandQueero/videos

Very inspiring and the woman who helps them declutter has some great points.  For example, stuff is not memories... memories are memories!  We don't need our stuff in order to have the memories.  And obviously the good old ones like if you aren't using it/don't love it/it's not useful, then why are you keeping it?  Anyways, I've watched all 13 episodes and I've never, EVER been this motivated to live simply before.  I'm getting rid of so much stuff that I'll never miss and it is really freeing.

Thank you for this. I have watched 2 episodes so far and am hooked :) Love the empty house for 30 days idea thumb.gif

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#32 of 57 Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

I just discovered some new motivation for decluttering. We've just packed up all the stuff in our lounge room in order to renovate that particular room. We also cleared our kitchen island (which was a massive disaster) and BOOM instant stress reduction. We blew up some balloons, put the music up and I don't think I've seen the kids this happy in a very long time. There is space to just be. I feel like I am in my own real life version of the show "consumed".

Everything we packed was stuff that I've deemed we "need" to have and keep.. stuff that was "necessary" because this is what "normal" homes have.. :/ because a home can't be a home without this stuff, right? Wrong. I've never felt more at home than these last few hours. Why do I keep buying stuff and crowding our house with it, in the hopes that it will make our lives better? I'm one of those "Oh this will be nice" type people. Some days I think I've conquered my materialistic and idealistic tendencies and other times I realize I've got so much more work to do. I think the problem is I am a gypsy at heart, but I'm trying to be a suburban mom with all the suburban goods and it's just not working out. I owe it to my dh to not be such a hippie about keeping house, but I need to have a compromise with myself.

We're going to have to go through all the stuff we've just packed and moved, in another few weeks and I am gearing myself up for some purging. I hope when it's time to unpack, I can remember how good tonight felt and how I can feel it all again if I just keep my head on my shoulders and think realistically about stuff (instead of emotionally and idealistically). Fingers are crossed!

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#33 of 57 Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

am bracing myself for a week in which i intend to purge as much as i can

(... have been having very little success doing so these past 4 and a half years .....)

since all 3 kids are registered for a sports day camp for the next 5 days

+ i have some insect bites that turned ugly and are still under treatment = no frittering of time at the pool for the near future ....

SO i should be able to have "alone time" 9 till 4:30 pm every day with no one else to cook lunch to (which is such a relief !!!)

i need to read and re-read all i can so as to be in the "right frame of mind" ... i cannot purge when i don't feel upset/usure of myself etc.....

have got the "does this clutter make my butt look fat" book too ...+ an assortment of books i baught on the subject these last 4 years ....

am trying to focus on the "feeling so good AFTER" when it's all done and space has been liberated ... yet i get so emotional DURING the process ...

LoveOurBabies likes this.
#34 of 57 Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

am bracing myself for a week in which i intend to purge as much as i can

(... have been having very little success doing so these past 4 and a half years .....)

since all 3 kids are registered for a sports day camp for the next 5 days

+ i have some insect bites that turned ugly and are still under treatment = no frittering of time at the pool for the near future ....

SO i should be able to have "alone time" 9 till 4:30 pm every day with no one else to cook lunch to (which is such a relief !!!)

i need to read and re-read all i can so as to be in the "right frame of mind" ... i cannot purge when i don't feel upset/usure of myself etc.....

have got the "does this clutter make my butt look fat" book too ...+ an assortment of books i baught on the subject these last 4 years ....

am trying to focus on the "feeling so good AFTER" when it's all done and space has been liberated ... yet i get so emotional DURING the process ...

hug2.gif Wishing you the best of luck mama! You can do it. It really is so hard during the process.. but the feeling afterwards is so luxlove.gif joy.gif

I have to pretend as though I'm looking in from the outside on another person's life and clearing their clutter for them. Kid stuff is hardest for me to part with, so I involve my kids in the process and let them decide on what stays and goes. They have become good declutterers as a result, yet I still struggle (probably because I'm trying to have an "ideal" home - whatever that is!)

My advice for you, to get in the right frame of mind is: Watch the shows hoarders and consumed (at least 5 episodes of each lol). I've been watching consumed for the last 2 days and I really think it's what prompted me to pack up all that stuff so we could move forward with remodelling. Also, keep picturing your house decluttered.. Imagine yourself walking through each room marvelling at how clear and neat everything is. You could also choose to give your "newly decluttered home" as a surprise gift to your children, for when they come back from camp. That will give you a deadline which will get the motivation to complete, pumping through your body!  

#35 of 57 Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is "Consumed" just in Canada?  Is there somewhere to watch it or something similar in the US?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#36 of 57 Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

have just tried watching it on youtube (from Europe) but it gets interrupted every few seconds ...

#37 of 57 Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Oh sorry somehow I totally missed the youtube link, duh, thank you! Watching now...

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#38 of 57 Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 AM

For me it's my health.  I tend to feel very confused and closed in if there's too much around me.  I may not be able to get to all of it because I'm not living in my own space (we take care of my Grandmother and about 90% of the stuff is hers), but I do find myself tossing junk mail right into the recycling bin the minute it comes into the house.  I just don't like it cluttering my writing/bill paying work area.  I've always tried to get into the habit of clearing out every season, but I find that I'm doing it much more often now.

We did as a family get rid of A LOT of what we owned when we moved in with Grandma 2 years ago, and I must say that is very liberating!  It clears your mind and your spirit.  Which is why I tend to do it more often now.  I also don't feel trapped in thinking that I need so many things in life and there's a lot less stress for me because I've released my guilt in thinking I have to clean all of it.  I often go through my clothes and linens to purge what we really don't need or have too much of and it makes me feel good that I can give it to Good Will and have someone else enjoy it. 

1 dh luxlove.gif Scott, a 12 year old blowkiss.gifdaughter Brittanny, a 5 year old joy.gifdaughter Olivia, 1 angel.gif named Gunnar, 1 angel.gif named Zoey, 1 cat.gif Onyx, and 1 dog2.gifSport.  Love crochetsmilie.gif,treehugger.gif, namaste.gif,morning caffix.gif,afternoon teapot2.GIF and read.gif. Hate doing the dishes.gif and hang.gif.

#39 of 57 Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Kimberley! :)

I can definitely relate to what you've said. Clutter really effects me too, but somehow I manage to convince myself that it's simply a better housekeeping issue (rather than an actual clutter issue) - which is soooo wrong of me!

It is commendable that you've chosen to move in with and look after your grandmother. love.gif

#40 of 57 Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Instagram!  Check out this one--LOVE her stuff!!  http://instagram.com/confettis

I also tend to think in terms of if I had to move next weekend, how much work would it take to pack/purge/etc.  I like stuff to be contained and I'm actually redoing some little things in my house right now to make it more that way.  I have a shelving unit in my bedroom that has 3 shelves and 3 drawers.  My dad just built me a bed frame that has TONS of room under it to store things, so I emptied out the shelving unit (which looked super cluttery) into big rubbermaid bins that are under my bed (it was mostly craft stuff and office supply-type stuff that wasn't used a whole lot...the books are being moved to a shelf in the living room).  Frees up floor space and contains things better.  I'm about to do something similar in my DD's room (my super awesome dad is making her a bed frame too!) to make the space more open and her stuff more contained.  My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy, but he plays along and is my voice of reason to help me actually think things through and not just do things on a whim ;)  

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#41 of 57 Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

Hi Kimberley! :)

I can definitely relate to what you've said. Clutter really effects me too, but somehow I manage to convince myself that it's simply a better housekeeping issue (rather than an actual clutter issue) - which is soooo wrong of me!

It is commendable that you've chosen to move in with and look after your grandmother. love.gif

Hi LoveOurBabies!

I have Fibromyalgia and it's been a long struggle playing a balancing act of having good days to clean and then during the bad ones-- I have no choice but to rest.  I have OCD too and so that makes things worse!  And then there's that voice-- you know the one-- the one that sounds like Mom telling you that you should be more clean, neat, etc?  Yeah, I try VERY hard to ignore that voice and do what I can.  Getting rid of what I don't need is the best option for me because it's really impossible to keep up.  The floors are wall-to-wall carpeting and I tend to vacuum EVERY textile in the room as close to daily as I can.  I vacuum a lot because of the cats and dog.  So it's a huge task that doesn't get done as much as I like.:)  I'd much rather put the knick knacks in the attic and get rid of any extra dollies so I have less to think about.  Having said that, I am guilty of having a lot of kitchen gadgets due to my illness.  I do use them because I cook a lot, but I SURE WISH I didn't have to!  It's a very tedious task to put everything away when I'm done and sometimes it doesn't get put back right away.  I'm VERY GUILTY of clutter in the kitchen!

1 dh luxlove.gif Scott, a 12 year old blowkiss.gifdaughter Brittanny, a 5 year old joy.gifdaughter Olivia, 1 angel.gif named Gunnar, 1 angel.gif named Zoey, 1 cat.gif Onyx, and 1 dog2.gifSport.  Love crochetsmilie.gif,treehugger.gif, namaste.gif,morning caffix.gif,afternoon teapot2.GIF and read.gif. Hate doing the dishes.gif and hang.gif.

#42 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

Instagram!  Check out this one--LOVE her stuff!!  http://instagram.com/confettis

I also tend to think in terms of if I had to move next weekend, how much work would it take to pack/purge/etc.  I like stuff to be contained and I'm actually redoing some little things in my house right now to make it more that way.  I have a shelving unit in my bedroom that has 3 shelves and 3 drawers.  My dad just built me a bed frame that has TONS of room under it to store things, so I emptied out the shelving unit (which looked super cluttery) into big rubbermaid bins that are under my bed (it was mostly craft stuff and office supply-type stuff that wasn't used a whole lot...the books are being moved to a shelf in the living room).  Frees up floor space and contains things better.  I'm about to do something similar in my DD's room (my super awesome dad is making her a bed frame too!) to make the space more open and her stuff more contained.  My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy, but he plays along and is my voice of reason to help me actually think things through and not just do things on a whim ;)  

Thanks so much for sharing that page - Lots of pretty pics there. :)

How awesome that your dad built bed frames for you both! I can't wait till my children's beds are set up so that I can utilize the space underneath. I love for stuff to be organized and contained too! Organizing afterwards is one of my favorite parts of decluttering actually.

#43 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 07:44 AM

I felt inspired today and I am decluttering the kitchen!  It's not perfect yet but it looks 100% better than it did!  Thanks for the motivation everyone!

#44 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberleyLB View Post

Hi LoveOurBabies!

I have Fibromyalgia and it's been a long struggle playing a balancing act of having good days to clean and then during the bad ones-- I have no choice but to rest.  I have OCD too and so that makes things worse!  And then there's that voice-- you know the one-- the one that sounds like Mom telling you that you should be more clean, neat, etc?  Yeah, I try VERY hard to ignore that voice and do what I can.  Getting rid of what I don't need is the best option for me because it's really impossible to keep up.  The floors are wall-to-wall carpeting and I tend to vacuum EVERY textile in the room as close to daily as I can.  I vacuum a lot because of the cats and dog.  So it's a huge task that doesn't get done as much as I like.:)  I'd much rather put the knick knacks in the attic and get rid of any extra dollies so I have less to think about.  Having said that, I am guilty of having a lot of kitchen gadgets due to my illness.  I do use them because I cook a lot, but I SURE WISH I didn't have to!  It's a very tedious task to put everything away when I'm done and sometimes it doesn't get put back right away.  I'm VERY GUILTY of clutter in the kitchen!

Oh I'm so sorry to hear you have Fibro. hug2.gif I'm a chronic fatigue sufferer myself (who also has OCD winky.gif) so I can sympathize with what you've said.

I ideally like to vacuum and mop all floors on a daily basis and it's all the little bits of clutter that really get to me - paper, strewn toys etc.. Seeing too much in any given spot motivates me to declutter. I physically cannot stand to be surrounded by stuff. Like I said before, I convince myself that the current state of the house is moreso a better housekeeping issue (when everything is packed and clean, it often looks better right?) and so I either don't declutter as much or (gasp) bring more crap into our home. For the sake of my dh and children, I'm trying to have one of those "normal" looking homes that have everything in them, but are still neat and functional. But it's just not working! lol I haven't quite accepted that my CF limits me in what I can do as does OCD.. because how much could I possibly clean and organize to my standard in one short day? Something has to give eventually (currently it's my sanity) redface.gif

#45 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberleyLB View Post

I felt inspired today and I am decluttering the kitchen!  It's not perfect yet but it looks 100% better than it did!  Thanks for the motivation everyone!

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#46 of 57 Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM

Right now, I'm motivated by making money!  I sold a few things on Craigslist and now I am looking around my house and seeing what else I am tired of that I can sell.  I just made 11 dollars on something that I bought second hand, displayed for a couple of years and then sold!  Feels awesome.

Kayoz and pumabearclan like this.
#47 of 57 Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We've moved a couple of times in the past few years (schooling, marriage, military, etc.) and I find myself getting rid of things during packing AND unpacking the next day.

Another odd thing that works for me: If I am in a bad mood, I try to go through closets.  I don't like things when I am in a bad mood, and I can really get rid of useless things at that time.

Springshowers likes this.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#48 of 57 Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We long to live and travel in an RV for a while, and before we married I wanted to live in a sailboat for as long as I can remember.  So that restricts our accumulation of things, as well as the fact that I flourish in an uncluttered home.  I work from home as a writer, and I *need* my space to be lovely before I can free my mind to work.

We like living with less, and keeping our lifestyle simple.  We love small, simple homes.

The kids have fewer toys and things to obsess and argue about, and we have more space and time to think and wonder and be because we're not constantly battling clutter and *stuff.*

We can tidy in the house in five minutes, nearly always.  

I love not even trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Also, both my parents are borderline hoarders, so I've seen firsthand what I don't want to become.

pumabearclan likes this.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#49 of 57 Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

We long to live and travel in an RV for a while, and before we married I wanted to live in a sailboat for as long as I can remember.  So that restricts our accumulation of things, as well as the fact that I flourish in an uncluttered home.  I work from home as a writer, and I *need* my space to be lovely before I can free my mind to work.

We like living with less, and keeping our lifestyle simple.  We love small, simple homes.

The kids have fewer toys and things to obsess and argue about, and we have more space and time to think and wonder and be because we're not constantly battling clutter and *stuff.*

We can tidy in the house in five minutes, nearly always.  

I love not even trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Also, both my parents are borderline hoarders, so I've seen firsthand what I don't want to become.

I too am a writer and I feel the same way about my space.  It has to be organized and clutter-free.  I know many writers that get caught up in reading the latest about writing from books and magazines, and I'll admit that I've been guilty of that in the past, but I'm finding myself asking this same question more and more often, "Do I really need this?  Am I going to be a better writer (or person) if I have this in my life?"  Generally the answer is no, I won't be a better writer or person because of it.  Because, simply put, people are more of a creature of habit and less of a creature of change.

People are quirky that way and if you live with people that like stuff, it will be difficult to get along with them, and their stuff, if you are the one always picking it up.  My mother was great at throwing things out because of her OCD, she would come into our rooms weekly and throw stuff out.  Having said that, she was not good at throwing out her own things.  She was a hoarder in her own right with knick knacks, furniture that had no purpose (like occasional tables that could only house a lamp), and clothing.  It honestly got to a point that I could barely walk in the house without tripping over something.  I hated being there and tried to desperately find a way out.  My way was getting rid of everything I didn't need and that works for me.  I may not be able to control what my family does, but I sure can control what I do.  If I have less, I can tend to their mess-- that's my motto at least LOL!

#50 of 57 Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

A wonderful read on creating abundance and simplicity:

http://project-based-homeschooling.com/camp-creek-blog/parenting-abundance-and-simplicity

#51 of 57 Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 AM

I have a book I love to read and re-read that always inspires me called Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston.

Basic principles of Feng Shui are discussed, but the book deals more with the ways in which clutter affects every part of our lives and how we sometimes rationalize holding onto it. It's really a gentle book that seems to unleash a bit of upheaval in me every time I read it!

I used to watch Hoarders, too, for inspiration, but now it makes me feel kind of sick to my stomach and depressed. I always think I want to watch it, but I inevitably click it off after about 10 minutes. After my first child was born and I was nursing 24/7 on the sofa, I really got into this show on the Style network called Clean House where a tv team comes into hoarded or semi-hoarded houses, takes everything out to sell at a garage sale, then cleans the house and fixes it up with the garage sale proceeds and some items the family has "won" from the show. I think I watched every episode between 2006-2011, but now I click it off when I see it's on, too.

I just had our second baby and now that the nesting insanity has ceased (must clean or throw away all the things!!!), I am reading this forum to live vicariously. Your ideas are inspiring me right now! smile.gif

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#52 of 57 Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 PM

Loving this thread!

For me in the instant it is often having people over and wanting to clean up a particular area. But that is about the daily/weekly clutter that accumulates.

Getting rid of the more entrenched clutter - well, it's only happening very slowly, but one thing that motivates me is definitely reading blogs from other parents. Like someone else said, it would be heaps easier on my own, but I have a family of five, each with their own needs, wants and STUFF, so that complicates things (not to mention being a time suck, lol). I Like reading Miss Minimalist (Francine Jay) & Joshua Becker.

The biggest thing that motivates me is thinking about how much easier life would be with less stuff to clean, tidy, search through and maintain.

Also, next year we are *hopefully* going to spend 6 months o/s (in the US), most of it camping, so we will either get housesitters or rent out our house for that period. Either way we will need to pack up a lot of our stuff (if not all of it). I'm hoping that will motivate me to get on with decluttering soon... It doesn't seem to have kicked in yet, sadly!

Kirsten McCulloch. Australian mother of Liam, b. 2002, Mikaela, b. 2006, & Eliane, b. 2010.

Writer at SustainableSuburbia.net. Passionate about bringing up my kids to care, to live sustainably and to be feminists. Also about home made non-toxic cleaners.

#53 of 57 Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I love miss minimalist too... been reading her blog for a while now. She is a great source of inspiration! I was so sad when her blog posts came to an end, but I'm glad she chose to give her full attention to plumblossom. Josh is good too.

#54 of 57 Old 08-10-2013, 04:39 AM

I suffer from fatigue too after having cancer!
Being minimal helps as it makes stuff so much easier!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#55 of 57 Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I keep thinking about this thread's subject.  I am guilty of occassionally watching a Hoarders show, but what I've noticed to be my biggest inspiration is seeing the CLEAN homes, not the messy ones.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#56 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I have a two year old DD and some busy mama friends and I'd love to say "we're free. Drop by whenever it works for you" instead of having to leave the house for every single playdate.

This. nod.gif

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#57 of 57 Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInSeptember View Post

My most recent addiction that gave me SO MUCH will-power to declutter and consign/donate a ton of stuff was this show called Consumed on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJfGRzHcWM

13 episodes can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BandQueero/videos

Very inspiring and the woman who helps them declutter has some great points.  For example, stuff is not memories... memories are memories!  We don't need our stuff in order to have the memories.  And obviously the good old ones like if you aren't using it/don't love it/it's not useful, then why are you keeping it?  Anyways, I've watched all 13 episodes and I've never, EVER been this motivated to live simply before.  I'm getting rid of so much stuff that I'll never miss and it is really freeing.

Thank you for posting this link! It's disabled now, but I typed in "consumed" into the search bar and it came up. 

I also love to watch Hoarders. It still inspires me. :)

It makes dh very nervous. He can't watch it. 

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page