What gives *you* inspiration to declutter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For me, it's googling 'minimalist' and finding pictures like this:

The empty cupboards in the next picture don't do anything for me, but the empty floor space and VIEW! Oh my!

My house doesn't look like any of the above, but it doesn't hurt to dream. orngbiggrin.gif And it actually helps me to declutter... So what inspires you to declutter? Pictures are most welcome :)

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-imagination/201209/using-imagination-reduce-clutter-in-your-home

Was just reading this and thought I'd put it up here even though it has nothing to do with the question I asked. Hope it helps someone!

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Simple backyard. :)

Simple bedroom- I wouldn't even have the shelves.

I like this one even better. :)

Not mine but striving for this.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What gives me inspiration are pictures of people living minimally on purpose with families. For me, it would be SOO easy to be a minimalist if it were just me, even just me and dh -- but enter kids into the picture with their own needs and desires and some of the more popular minimalist blogs/pictures can be a bit unrealistic (imo). So, it's awesome when I see people living simply without a lot of 'stuff' in families.

Also, I love empty spaces. It gives me a thrill when one of my cabinets or shelves is completely empty. I dunno why lol... For example, I just cleaned out our 'linen' closet (it doesn't just hold linens). There are three empty shelves. Both of the cabinets under our sinks (two bathrooms) are empty. Two bottom cabinets in our tiny kitchen, empty. Several bookshelves on our bookcase, empty. That inspires me. Like I said, I don't know why. Maybe because my space is freed up for more blessings in the future? Or, if I did need any of the space for something I felt was worth having, I'd have the space without having to "make room".

Also, the idea that the less I have the less I have to clean, organize, store, move (when we move soon) etc... inspires me to declutter more. I love the idea of *only* having things that are useful or beautiful to me.

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Old 03-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Real pictures of real people's homes.....especially those with families.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Thanks I enjoyed that article.

For me it has been seeing how much easier it is to keep the house tidy. And to be honest the 2013 in 2013 is huge. I am having so much fun checking off boxes.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 AM

For me, I'm tired of not being able to find ANYTHING when I'm looking for it.  Less stuff = less to look through.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
Old 03-16-2013, 05:41 PM

I love reading minimalist blogs and will often declutter after I've been checking them out.  Reading about tiny houses also helps to inspire :)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Watching hoarders.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianmama21 View Post

Watching hoarders.

ROTFLMAO.gif  me too!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

It's been great to read everyone's replies. :) Keep 'em coming!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

I love reading minimalist blogs and will often declutter after I've been checking them out.  Reading about tiny houses also helps to inspire :)

I do this often too. I love to challenge my default setting and go that little bit extra. :) I don't know about you, but a lot of the time I just need that emotional kick to know that it's okay and it will be okay, if I don't live with all the excess that surrounds me.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Also, I love empty spaces. It gives me a thrill when one of my cabinets or shelves is completely empty. I dunno why lol... For example, I just cleaned out our 'linen' closet (it doesn't just hold linens). There are three empty shelves. Both of the cabinets under our sinks (two bathrooms) are empty. Two bottom cabinets in our tiny kitchen, empty. Several bookshelves on our bookcase, empty. That inspires me. Like I said, I don't know why. Maybe because my space is freed up for more blessings in the future? Or, if I did need any of the space for something I felt was worth having, I'd have the space without having to "make room".

I love, love, love empty spaces too! That corner of the room that houses nothing - brilliant I say! I love a cozy and warm home, but I'm trying to lose the comfortable association between cozy and filling every nook and cranny of our house with stuff. Now that it's autumn, I'm feeling the pull towards cozy a lot more than usual and so it's becoming harder to want to free up space here and there, because it just looks, cold.. you know? I hope that made sense. :)

Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Watching hoarders.
SO MUCH THIS!

Laotian girl, who went from heavy partying to peaceful parenting, to 'Humnoy' (3/13/2011) and 'Lanoi' (2/05/2013)

Mama behind the Breastfeeding Toddler Positions meme and blogging about non-mainstream ideas of parenting at TheLaotianCommotion.com

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM

As PP said, watching Hoarders for sure... especially since I'm NOT a good housekeeper and it's very sobering to see how slippery a slope I've been flirting with.

Also the 2013 in 2013 thread is amazing! I'm still under 300 but only started about 8-10 days ago so that for me is a decent start I think.

Next the HUGE difference in the kitchen where I got rid of most of my tableware so we have a set of 8 and that's it. Now my sink is always empty, the dishwasher is being used at least every other day and it's SO EASY to keep clean.

And finally, our new family room below. We got rid of a LOT of stuff from here, finally bought that sectional we've been eyeing for 3 years and splurged a little on a couple of accessories to dress it up a touch. The biggest thing is my DD is no longer overwhelmed by her toys, she takes out one bin, and helps me put it away when she's done. She also hasn't asked for TV time in two days (since we set the room up) and instead happily plays, reads or helps me clean, and this is HUGE for me. I'm so much happier. I don't think I'll ever be a minimalist but what we have now means cleaning is easy and feels like a joy instead of a huge, overwhelming burden.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What gives me inspiration to de-clutter?

Seasonal change - When I do the clothes shift, that is a chance to get rid of some. 

Holidays - Getting my house ready for celebrating means cleaning, sorting, & getting rid of some things.

I don't like big empty bare spaces.  I like to be able to draw curtains across my windows at night (or to keep the hot sunlight out during summer). I like some rugs on the floor to lend warmth in the winter and to help muffle the sounds in my concrete walled flat. I like pictures on my walls and books in my book-cases. BUT, I want them to be well arranged (if they can be) and organized.

Cozy, but not cluttered is my ideal, which I continue to strive for.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 AM

My views of minimalism became much more embedded and 'extreme' when we were about to go traveling (about 8 months ago). And I was so inspired by watching youtube videos of permanent travelers (people who live on the road so to speak) who showed exactly what they owned and how they fit their entire lives into one backpack for example. I also liked seeing things like when people only owned X number of things and showed photos of every item. I guess I work better visually when it comes to this. So much cooler when you can literally see someone's whole life laid out in a fairly small pile.

I think those would be inspiring for any wanting to live with less clutter, not just those who want to travel or have quite that few belongings. Since it just shows you what you can really live without and what you need in life. And shows how simple things can be without all the excess. I also like that with the videos you can see a real person. I don't have a lot of time to read an entire blog and get a feel for the personality behind it. And most of the minimalist blogs I have read are just reiterating things I already know. So when I want inspiration I like to see real people living their lives with less and how it really works practically for different people.  

I also love reading this forum when I am in a minimalizing mood haha treehugger.gif So I guess we are inspiring each other...

Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM

YES! watching hoarders makes me start feeling anxious and restless, and then I get up and start throwing things away :)

Quote:

Watching hoarders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif  me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaotianMama View Post

SO MUCH THIS!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Like pp's, Hoarders is a great motivator for me.  (I am one of those people who feels a comfort having stockpiles of certain things - like food, personal care products, linens, towels, etc.)

I will never be a minimalist (although I can appreciate the look/lifestyle).

But I love organization.   For years I had organized clutter redface.gif

My goals - that I never seem to reach but keep trying - are:

1.  to have the house company ready at all times

2.  to have the cabinets/closets/garage/workshop decluttered and organized enough to look good enough to show the house if we ever decided to sell.

Decluttering and organizing are necessary to reach and maintain those goals.

We've lived in this house over twenty years and managed to tuck away too much stuff in drawers, cabinets, etc.  I feel like I have decluttered and organized a lot already.  I guess I need to do more and accept the fact that this might be a constant work in progress; sort of like gardening...I can get it how I like it but there is always something coming in or out, something to move, rearrange, etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

My goals - that I never seem to reach but keep trying - are:
1.  to have the house company ready at all times
This is one of my biggest motivators. I have a two year old DD and some busy mama friends and I'd love to say "we're free. Drop by whenever it works for you" instead of having to leave the house for every single playdate.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This weekend, it's dealing with all of the junk we had to move out of the way to get a new hot water tank installed.

The old one started leaking yesterday. We had lots of packed boxes in that area. Luckily, the leak wasn't too bad and we didn't lose anything.  Today, I have storage boxes everywhere. I have a busy weekend but I would really like to sort and cull this stuff instead of just packing it all back there. I don't want to waste a good opportunity to deal with it all. 

Oh, and I cannot watch Hoarders. Just way too stressful.  

Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Getting one room/area decluttered and seeing how much nicer it is to be in, how much easier it is to clean, etc. It inspires me to do the whole house which is what I am doing right now! Also, I'm expecting twins in May (hopefully mid-late May) and I know I won't have any time to do it again for awhile, so the deadline is helping too smile.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM

Yes! I grew up in a home that was always company ready and with 6 of us kids idk how my mom did it!!
It wasn't too bad when we were renting a normal house, but DH and I built a garage with an upstairs that we're living in for now so its sooo open with zero closets. Picture: left garage bay- living room. Right garage bay- kitchen with a permanent bathroom, sauna in the back. So when someone walks in- you see every. Little. Thing. It's not feasible to have toys upstairs (need eyes on them all times-2&4yo) so toys are sprinkled everywhere.
I joke: if you miss the 15 minutes each day when the house is spotless, too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

This is one of my biggest motivators. I have a two year old DD and some busy mama friends and I'd love to say "we're free. Drop by whenever it works for you" instead of having to leave the house for every single playdate.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

inviting people for a meal, taking pictures of us ... and seeing the piles of clutter everywhere on the photos !!!

so i arranged for a cleaner to come to help me specifically for wet dusting everywhere SO THAT i feel that i have to attend to the stuff that is on every surface !!!

(she only came by once 3 weeks ago & i worked a bit on some areas, am now going to stuff everything into plastic bags and shove it on my bed for me to sort out "later on" SO that she can do her work this afternoon ...)

am hosting a buffet meal in 9 days and i would like to be happier about the state of my flat (but i definitely have trouble with clutter because ... i've been going at it for about 4 years by now .... VERY slowly !!!)

Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 PM

I like to have a minimal house and I feel better....so I try to remind myself of that...and keep on moving! I feel more motivated when everything is in it's place.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 PM

When I was in a car accident (almost 2 years ago) I was in bed for 8 weeks, I watched Hoarders - episode after episode. It was depressing and inspiring. As soon as I could get up again, I went through every cabinet, drawer and closet in my house. 

I am currently on bedrest (11 weeks and counting!) carrying twins for another couple, and I am ITCHING to declutter and re-organize my house! Spring cleaning time PLUS nesting hormones are doing me in! I have so many lists for when I'm allowed to get up...and that's why I'm here. These threads are satisfying my unfulfilled purging urges. lol.gif

Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I think Feng Shui is inspiring.  You look at everything in terms of color, shape, and purpose and everything has a certain location it needs to be.  If you have the wrong item in an area, it messes up your chi.  It's a great motivation to get rid of clutter.  Anything broken or dead plants need to be gone ASAP.  And you have to use everything in your house.  Like they say to regularly use all the burners on your stove top.  And everything should be beautiful to have good chi.  If it's not beautiful, change it. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRootsStarSoul View Post

I think Feng Shui is inspiring.

The overall goal of Feng Shui is to maximize positive sensual experience which promotes well-being.

Subtle movement, light, and interface with nature are the cornerstones.

Plants, water, mirrors, and mobiles, and sculpture are commonly used. With a mirror, for example, you see two of everything you have. If you have a sunny window and hang a mirror to maximize light reflection, you see and your room is illuminated by two windows. If you have a clean countertop with a bowl of fruit and have a mirror behind it, you see two bowls of fruit. This is very positive for the psychology. It's said that mirrors in the kitchen "increase wealth." I think that this results because one bowl of fruit multiplied to two creates more psychological security than one and decreases overeating and overbuying from anxiety and emotional need.

Understanding feng shui principles reveals the importance of the environment (which for most of us is mostly man-made) on psychological health. If you have clutter, every mirror will multiply the clutter. If you have a dark corner in a room, it is more likely to cause a subtle sense of depression or anxiety.

Space is a crucial element in feng shui. A dark corner is not the place for a large cabinet, for example. This only increases the sense of darkness. Light and space is the thing for a dark corner.

I've noticed that with the popularization of feng shui, the "things" you can add to your house have become the focus rather than light, space, and traffic patterns.

Most rooms tend to be lined with things with an open space in the middle. Adding more "feng shui things" to a room won't help much, I don't believe. This literally surrounds a person with stuff and closes off a sense of "view," light, air, and space. This room design becomes a cage. I also think that this design encourages clutter because it is easy to add to the "wall" of furniture and stack things up, thereby increasing the effect of being encircled.

Feng shui is a very good art to understand for home makers. I believe that it actually saves money and improves health in addition to bringing beauty and happiness to families.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM

I take pics, then put them on the ridiculous huge TV DH bought. It is shocking what you notice in pics that you don't when you are standing in it

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 AM

My most recent addiction that gave me SO MUCH will-power to declutter and consign/donate a ton of stuff was this show called Consumed on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJfGRzHcWM

13 episodes can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BandQueero/videos

Very inspiring and the woman who helps them declutter has some great points.  For example, stuff is not memories... memories are memories!  We don't need our stuff in order to have the memories.  And obviously the good old ones like if you aren't using it/don't love it/it's not useful, then why are you keeping it?  Anyways, I've watched all 13 episodes and I've never, EVER been this motivated to live simply before.  I'm getting rid of so much stuff that I'll never miss and it is really freeing.

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying
User Tag List