Mothering Forum banner

Help finding drinking glasses?

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  kwiathellen 
#1 ·
My style, or lack of, is using the plain white Corelle dishes. I love that they don't take up lots of room.

My family prefers not to use the mugs that came with the set. So I'm looking for ~16oz glasses that stack nicely

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Last year, we needed new drinking glasses. Right now, we have limited cabinet space. For versatility, we decided to buy a set of inexpensive, stemless wine glasses for everyday use. It means I don't need 2 sets of glasses - one for milk, juice etc. and one for wine. This may not work for small children. The glasses are teardrop-shaped, so I don't think they would be the best glasses for chubby, short fingers but everyone here is adult-sized. Oh, and they don't stack, so probably don't meet your needs.

IKEA tableware is inexpensive and most of their products are designed for easy storage. I don't know how sturdy they are though.

You may also want to check out Goodwill or consignment shops. They often have sets of glassware and dishes and you might find something suitable.

#4 ·
Matching glasses are the only way I can control the cupboard clutter. I used to have pint glasses (which worked very well) but my family has a habit of drinking multiple glasses of their beverage of choice so I had to downsize the vessels. I ordered bulk glasses from -

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/9883/stackable-glasses.html

I bought more than I needed so I have replacements on hand. These are commercial quality and very durable.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Super cool product Ragana! Those are great! I use pint canning jars as glasses. For the kids I use 1/2 pint. I actually need to buy another case since I made jam and now we have like 2 glasses. They don't stack but the are super durable.

#8 ·
Thanks so much.
I do like ikea, but I have broken so many glasses as I wash them. Combo of large hands and thin cheap glasses. I didn't like how thin they felt in the store.
Never seen the picardie before. WS isn't my normal stomping ground, but I will check them out. I like how they can handle hot drinks!

#10 ·
#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

My style, or lack of, is using the plain white Corelle dishes. I love that they don't take up lots of room.

My family prefers not to use the mugs that came with the set. So I'm looking for ~16oz glasses that stack nicely

Any suggestions?
Chel, we also have plain white Corelle. I bought the Duralex to go with them some 7 years ago (when we bought the Corelle) and they looked great together. Gradually each cup broke over the years but they were a great purchase overall.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post

I love the Picardie tumblers. They are pretty and durable and the smaller ones stack pretty well. They come in many sizes and I've seen them at Williams-Sonoma and even have some from thrift stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Duralex-Picardie-8-Ounce-Clear-Tumbler/dp/B002GUK4NU
World Market also sells a similar product if you have those stores around, that's where we got ours. They come in all sizes. DS uses the juice glass size and it's perfect for his hands. I've found a ton at Goodwill too to add to the ones we bought new.

#15 ·
Duralex picardie are the glasses we have here also. You can put hot beverages in them and they are very nice to drink from. They never break. I've had the same set I got when I was 20 years old and have never lost a single one.

There are also glasses called "working jars" by luminarc. I used them for a time when i was making juice. They have plastic lids and are very durable.

I prefer the ergonomics of the picardie, though, and the luminarc went to my daughter.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

I second Duralex. I've had them before and they lasted quite a while.
We just got these and so far we love them. It was a toss between these or some working glasses which I wanted because you can buy lids for them. Turned out that these libbey bowls (half the price of amazon at ross) we already had have lids that fit the 8 and 12 oz cups. I like being able to put a lid on the kids glasses now when they don't finish their drinks and give it to them later without going for another glass first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.