"Command Centers" and calendars? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help organizing my "command center". Where is yours? Kitchen? Home office? What do you use?

I have a calendar that I carry around--when it's closed it's 8 1/2" x 11", big enough so I can write quite a bit. Previously I tried to use gCal on my iPhone, but that wasn't working so well because I couldn't see ahead. I've also seen those huge wall calendars in kitchens--which seem great, but then do you also have a second calendar for when you leave the house? I feel like I need a place in my kitchen...maybe a magnetic board/dry erase board with the calendar, lists, etc.

Anyway, just looking for ideas and thoughts on what works for others. My DD starts 5-day preschool this fall, and I need to get my act together. (I'm working on meal planning, shopping lists, and all that stuff, too...)

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 4 Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Following.

I was considering dedicating a corner of my living room (we have small house!) to children's stuff, maybe a small table, a bookshelf, and another shelving unit to store boxes of craft supplies. The family command center could go on the wall in that corner (???)

I'm interested to hear what system has worked for others.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#3 of 4 Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i have a few ring binders on top of a secretary desk in the entry, next to the phone and not too far away from a small wall calendar & i try to not forget to coordinate the appointments in between

- the wall calendar (for those i make when on the phone when at home)

- the much smaller pocket calendar that lives in my handbag (for those appointments i make when out and about)

i need to re-organise the ring-binders (i put too much in there, not sorted out, when in a hurry... but at least, i usually can find stuff again !)

also in the entry, inside the door to a cupboard i scotched taped some puch-file pockets and each older child has their school timetable re-written there, color coded by subject, hour by hour, so that i know which time exactly they start and finish each day => it takes a little while to make in September (& i enjoy the colouring bit !!!) but in my opinion very much worth it ...

Turquesa likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My home office is in what is meant to be the dining room.
I was going to add a picture, but apparently I have deleted it at some point.

I keep things in 3-4 different places.  I have my daily cleaning routines/budget/etc in a 3-ring binder.  I then have the wall calendar, small datebook, and large datebook.  The large one is more for work, but I try to keep everything for it also in the small one.  The small one goes with me everywhere so that I can write appointments in it on the fly.  The wall calendar is for big things I don't want to forget plus my cleaning schedule (ala FlyLady...hated her e-mails but LOVE her book!).  I also have a week-long dry erase board on the fridge next to a notepad on a magnet to write down foods we need as we need them and I use the week calendar to keep everyone up to date on our dinners.  On Sundays (the only day I have 100% off) I coordinate everything together and make sure everything syncs up.

Tags
Organizing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page