Choosing Colors for Kids' Bedrooms - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have the great fortune of building our own home and are in the process of picking paint colors for the house.  We have always been very neutral with colors but want to push our envelope a bit and go with some colors.  It is tempting to go with some bolder colors for the kids' rooms but something is giving me pause about this decision, I am thinking that too bright/bold might be overstimulating.  What are your thoughts/experiences with colors in your children's rooms?  Thanks!!

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 AM

When my children were younger, they did not have a brightly colored room.  However, around age 7 we let them pick their paint colors and both chose a bright color (daughter = bright pink and son = bright green with polka dots).  It has not been too stimulating.  I was worried they would tire of the colors, but it has been two years and they still like their rooms. 

#3 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for sharing your experience!  we are probably going to go for it knowing we can always change it if needed.  probably need to tackle clutter and too many toys causing overstimulation rather than worrying about paint color!  haha

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think this is a supreme act of maternal love.. to allow your growing child some autonomy on decorating "their" room. We've had fairy rooms, space station and rockets blasting to the moon rooms, ivy rooms and celestial sun and moon rooms. All we did was establish a firm budget and help our child shop... they picked most of their stuff. It's been a fun ride to say the least.

And yes, the rest of our house is earth tones with soft yellows and greens. So, entering one of my kid's room could be rather jarring to the casual eye but so worth it in the long run of raising kids.
copperfox likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 03:29 PM

We painted DD1's room bright green before she was born and it hasn't been an issue. DD2's room was painted bright blue even earlier than that. The girls are 28 months and 9 days respectively so bedrooms are mostly for sleep right now. I love to take a chance with paint - its easy enough to change.

Tags
Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page