Transitioning away from too many toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have three young children. My oldest starts kindergarten Monday huh.gif They are the first kiddos in the family and even though I have repeatedly asked my family to cut back on the amount of stuff that they give to the boys, they just can't seem to stop themselves. While I work on getting my family to switch to gifts that are more in line with my parenting style, I need help figuring out how to clear out my kiddos play spaces so that they have some space to breath and create. It seems mean to just take away their toys. I have tried to phase certain things out but they always notice and want them back. Anyone have an idea how to clear out and refocus that won't leave me with grumpy kids?

#2 of 8 Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM

I am working on this as of today. I am so tired of all of dd's toys taking over my living room and dining area.  I am going to clear things out, I just don't know what to do with the darn toys. I am debating a yardsale but then the kids will see the toys being sold, dd would probably be upset if i sold her toys since she is 2. For now though, I am commiting to clearing out the garage and I am also going to move most her toys down there and set up a play area there. Not sure how it will go, but if I get rid of some of her toys, I may not even need a new place to keep them. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#3 of 8 Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

It's not the organizing I struggle with as much as how to explain/ease the switch. I wish I had been better about clearing out as we accumulated.
#4 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 PM

What if you get some storage bins and put a bunch of the toys in there, leaving 1/3 or 1/2 (or whatever makes sense depending on the amount of toys you have) for them to play with? Then when they ask you can tell them that the other toys are in storage or taking a break or whatever and will be back later. Do you think that would go over okay? Then you can sort of swap stuff in, and when you add something "new" that isn't holding their interest then it can be your cue to donate/sell it. Anyway, that's what came to mind as a way to get them used to the idea that there are toys that they can't see/play with right now, but that's not a reason to panic about it.

#5 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:23 PM

Also, thanks for the tip to clear stuff out as you go. We also have the only baby in the family and very (sometimes too) generous relatives. With only one kiddo it's not as big of a problem, but now with #2 on the way (and maybe another after that) this is very good advice for me to stay on top of things!

#6 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I will give it a go.

#7 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 AM

You could also have them help you decide what to clear out.  Maybe give them parameters, like choosing 3 or 4 toys to give away to someone who doesn't have any toys?  Even pretty little kids understand this idea.  That way, they feel some control over the situation, instead of you just getting rid of their toys.  Also, if there is anything broken, those things should go immediately, no questions asked.  My kids are a little bit older (9 and 7), but we're now in maintenance mode, where we tend to go through toys periodically (especially before birthdays and Christmas) to make room for new toys.  I also make sure to request more experiential gifts for them from family--zoo, museum, aquarium memberships, ski passes, etc.  This has cut down on the toys coming in in a HUGE way.  Good luck!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#8 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 PM

I let DS keep his garage sale money, so when he gave up 25 toys he got $25 to buy something he really wanted.

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page