Painting questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I need to paint the entire house we just moved into. I'm totally overwhelmed by the task because in some cases it involves painting over emo teenage girl writing all over the walls of one room, and in other rooms, it involves painting over intense (and in very poor taste) colors. 

I'm looking into whether it is best to go with a brush and roller, or if renting a sprayer would be worth the expense and added prep.  Beyond that, I'm trying to decide on colors. I am so overwhelmed, I almost want to paint it all white and never think about it again, but I don't think that will give me an end result I love.  

Anyone have suggestions for making it as painless as possible, or for some fabulous colors I should consider? 

#2 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I don't know about the sprayer vs roller issue. Maybe it depends on how big the house is?

My brother and SIL recently painted their whole house using brushes and rollers. It's not a huge house but it was still a big job. To make it more manageable for themselves they did it fairly slowly, one room at a time. So they did everything from washing down to painting, to reinstalling furniture in one room before moving on to the next one.

Colours are so personal I think. Maybe get some paint charts and see if anything jumps out at you. Then you could get a few sample pots. My preference is for white ceilings, mostly neutral walls and a few feature walls. Our house has two feature walls. When you look down the length of the house you can see them both. They are Dulux Gecko Green. We didn't paint them and when we first viewed the house I thought "Oookay, that's... green" now I *love* them and look for household items to match. The people from whom we bought the house said they went out into the garden with their paint chart and picked the colour which matched the garden the best.

If you don't have plans to sell in the short term then I think you can be more daring with paint. If I had lots of brown, cream, neutrally sort of furniture I would consider an orange feature wall. I think that would look great.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

It isn't a huge house, but it will be a substantial job as much of the paint has been terribly neglected, and in other places they went as far as to paint entire rooms (and ceilings!!) black.  There are 5 bedrooms, a living room, a den, a kitchen, a mudroom, and a bathroom all in need of paint.  At this point most of our belongings are still in storage or are waiting to be replaced, so moving stuff in and out of rooms is essentially a non-issue. 

#4 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Paint ceilings first (where needed). Knowing that you'll be painting the walls soon, you don't have to be terribly careful of the edges. Lay down drop cloths to protect the flooring, and cover windows - ceiling paint splatters.

Wash the walls. New paint doesn't stick well to dirt. If you need to patch or repair walls, prime before you paint.

Start with the rooms that are most offensive, or the rooms that would be most difficult to do later (for example, I have a 10-ft china cabinet in my dining room - it's a real pain to move that to paint behind).

Without furniture to deal with, I think you'll be surprised how fast it goes. I use a brush for cutting in, and a roller. I helped some friends paint their new construction, large house with 9' ceilings - they bought a power roller, which was really wonderful! I don't know if your project is big enough to justify that expense, but it sure was slick.

I feel your pain on choosing colors. I understand the temptation to paint everything the same color - but I also think you might feel locked in if you want something different soon (and you won't feel like painting again).

Good luck!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#5 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
A roller on a long handle (like a 6 foot broom handle) works really fast too. And it is really worth buying the special edge tape. They even have it at the dollar store.
#6 of 11 Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The previos posters all have good suggestions, I just want to chime in and remind you to cut in (paint around windows, outlets, etc with a brush) before rolling. Cutting in takes more time than rolling does, and rolling afterwards will help to make sure none of your brush marks show. Also, make sure to get the proper kind of roller for the walls you are painting - if they they are heavily textured you definitely want a roller meant for that.

I was a painter for a summer and my process usually went something like this. 

1) Clean the walls, take out any nails and fill the holes. Wipe dust off the baseboards.

2) Put down a drop cloth

3) Cut in and paint the cieling

4) Tape off the trim, outlets etc (using a small putty knife to press the tape down tight so that no paint can get underneath)

5) Cut in the walls (this takes much longer than you think it will, and it'll help to watch a couple videos to see the technique)

6) Roller the walls

My favorite paint colors lately have been a "greige" which is pretty popular right now, just a gray/beige. I also like all sorts of grays, and gray-ish versions of other colors - blue-gray, green-gray, etc. Then you get some color (I am sooooo sick of white walls!) without the colors being too overwhelming or distracting. 

#7 of 11 Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM

I read a great blog post recently about how to get a crisp line between a white ceiling (or wall etc) and a coloured wall. I'll try to find it and link it

#8 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM

I have painted many houses and miles (or so it seems) of trim.  I actually love to paint but I hate the prep work.

Oread's advice is spot on, especially 4 and 5.  The prep needed before you even begin to start painting will take far, far longer than the actual painting.

To cover dark colors and/or the writing will take primer and lots of it.  Go to a real paint store like Sherman Williams or Lowes/Home Depot and explain the challenges.  I have painted over black as well as dark red and you will need heavily tinted primer to make the job go smoothly. 

I never had luck with a sprayer.  Even the commercial painters who use those sprayer back roll the sprayed paint.  Unless someone is very experienced, I don't know that a sprayer is going to save you any time.  The biggest problem is clogging, the paint needs to be thinned, which means it won't cover as well.

I have lived with all sorts of colors over the years.  For the past couple of years, I am loving tan walls and white trim.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

We will be priming this weekend- it seems, and then will be the painting.  But first, priming. 

I have realized that the sprayer really will not help, but I do think I may invest in a power roller just to give me a little help in places where going back to the paint tray will be a PITA (I hate the up down with ladders!)

I am hoping to have everything done before the holidays, that gives me plenty of time to get things painted, then begin with getting everything unpacked and decorated without having to do it all right now.   I hope.   I may find myself eating those words later, but I will be an optimist for now. 

#10 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 AM

Well, this wasn't the blog I read but it's the same trick for making sure you don't get colour bleeding onto your white ceiling. Have you decided on colours yet?

http://www.moneypit.com/audio-q-a/painting-room-how-get-clean-line

#11 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Well, this wasn't the blog I read but it's the same trick for making sure you don't get colour bleeding onto your white ceiling. Have you decided on colours yet?

http://www.moneypit.com/audio-q-a/painting-room-how-get-clean-line

That is brilliant!  Oh the frustrations I have had over the years with the back and forth bleeding of colors.  I do think the green Frog tape works far better than the blue tape.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Tags
Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page