Mothering Forum banner

2014 in 2014

16K views 346 replies 34 participants last post by  Curlyfry7 
#1 ·
Here is our thread for 2014. The goal is to sell/donate/throw away 2014 things over the year.

Here is where you can download the chart! You need to register to download it.

http://www.nourishingminimalism.com/2013/12/2014-in-2014-decluttering-challenge.html

It sounds like a lot but if we average 5-6 things a day we will get there!

I feel like I did so much this year but I know I can do it again. Who else wants to join?

#77 ·
last minute baby nesting...

about 30 pieces of maternity items (they were out the door before i could count!) given to my sister

3 cataloges recycled

1 pen tossed

outgrown boy clothes packed up for my nephew:

5 pairs pjs

4 pants

1 sweatshirt

1 pr shorts

3 shirts

1 pr slippers

2 pr shoes

donation bag:

1 track pants i haven't worn since high school (15 years... yikes)

2 pr running shorts (haha, yeah right i'd wear them again)

1 thermal shirt that belonged to ex-h

3 shirts

1 pr socks

1 pr shoes

1 thong underwear (hate)

3 well worn bras

2 scarves

4 hair binders

12 mismatched childrens hangars

1 book returned to owner

2 library books (lost for months) - found! and ready for return... hope it saves me the lost book fees too!

weekend total:

85 items gone. (+33 = 118/2014)

#81 ·
Got rid of a bunch of old pantry items, halloween candy, broken stuff, and a toy gun I never wanted my son to have in the first place...

Bringing me to 97/2014

#84 ·
added to donation bag:

1 hair tie

1 mismatched hangar

1 hat

1 sweatshirt

1 bridesmaids dress

1 shirt

=6 more (+118=124/2014)

#92 ·
Great progress decluttering the living room. I found two textbooks I forgot about and don't know. I'm sending them to an online bookseller that quoted $42.00!

321-324. 4 glass objects from Dollar Tree from a DIY project never accomplished--donated

325-326. 2 Home Depot project kits for kids--donated

326-332. 7 trashed items from top of TV table

333. pottery barn wall sconce --might sell on craigslist

334. styrofoam cooler top

335. 6 things under couch, trashed

336. another pottery barn wall sconce --might sell on craigslist

337-343. 7 old batteries Trashed

344.-350. 7 wii manuals and guides Trashed

351. tp the cat played with and made a mess Trashed

352-353. 2 textbooks (sold-$42.00. will count when I get the cash)

354. -363. stack of old grad school and old job papers count as 10 Trashed

364. cardboard chandelier--donation

364/2014

$0.00

#95 ·
Joining in here! I have a TON of stuff that needs to go. We're planning a move sometime later this year so I desperately need to downsize. I'll be attempting to take my overly cluttered and messy home to a minimalist move ready stock of basics. If I do this properly I should have way more than 2014 items :(. Getting started today big time as I sort clothes and start cleaning now that dh left back out for work. I want to do some MAJOR work around here and have things much nicer in the next couple of weeks since I'll be alone with the kids as he works off for a month at a time now. I really need this house in better order to manage to keep my sanity with this new schedule.

#99 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post

Joining in here! I have a TON of stuff that needs to go. We're planning a move sometime later this year so I desperately need to downsize. I'll be attempting to take my overly cluttered and messy home to a minimalist move ready stock of basics. If I do this properly I should have way more than 2014 items :(. Getting started today big time as I sort clothes and start cleaning now that dh left back out for work. I want to do some MAJOR work around here and have things much nicer in the next couple of weeks since I'll be alone with the kids as he works off for a month at a time now. I really need this house in better order to manage to keep my sanity with this new schedule.
I'm in a similar boat: moving later in the year and would love to bring the bare minimum for a fresh start and manageable move/unpacking. I will be moving either when very pregnant or a new mom so it is almost a necessity.

Good luck!

#100 ·
Wow sky you definitely will benefit from getting started decluttering now then! I hauled stuff off to the donation today. I'd already bagged the stuff up before yesterday so I don't have a count but I hauled off 6 over stuffed kitchen bags plus two Walmart bags of Christmas supplies and a Christmas tree. I am starting to collect more items today. I feel a ton better since getting that load out of my house plus now I have somewhere to store the new store I collect until I can haul it off. I don't know what to count the stuff as but I guess we'll say 25 items per bag since I'm pretty sure there's at least that much in each of them but I KNOW there's a lot more than that in a couple of them. So 8*25=200 + 1 Christmas tree gives me 201 items out of the house today.

#101 ·
5prs holey socks- textile recycling

101 prs socks- donated

1 non-working pen- trashed

3 holey dishcloths (these are beyond unusable)- textile recycling

20pcs clothing- donated

2prs holey shorts- textile recycling

22prs of underwear/ worn out bras- textile recycling

80prs NB/ infant socks- bagged up for sister

Cleaned out the diaper bag

4 non-working pens- trashed

15pcs misc trash

Grand Total- 329/ 2014

Excited to be over 15% there now. This weekend I will be boxing up all the baby clothes/ cloth diapers and giving them to my sister. They will not be coming back to me since DH and I are done having babies. Bittersweet to say the least, since some of those diapers and clothes have been worn by all 6 of my littles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.