Mothering Forum banner

2014 in 2014

16K views 346 replies 34 participants last post by  Curlyfry7 
#1 ·
Here is our thread for 2014. The goal is to sell/donate/throw away 2014 things over the year.

Here is where you can download the chart! You need to register to download it.

http://www.nourishingminimalism.com/2013/12/2014-in-2014-decluttering-challenge.html

It sounds like a lot but if we average 5-6 things a day we will get there!

I feel like I did so much this year but I know I can do it again. Who else wants to join?

#228 ·
toss/recycle/compost

1 broken lightsaber toy
1 pair of broken goggles
4 pairs of underwear
old tax stuff(count as 1, although it was several sheets of paper)

Give away/Donate

1 pack of swim diapers to our neighbour
1 almost full pack of Pull Ups to DS#2's daycare
1 ugly Christmas tree

84/2014

#230 ·
+ 8

300/ 2014

.. am 100 short of my goal for February .... will try to "do" 300 for March

i have managed to unclutter my food intake and to have gone back to a "normal weight" over months .... now finding it hard to transfer that ability to get rid of "stuff clutter" ....

(not finding the book "does this clutter make my butt look fat" useful i regret to say .... so there's something in my head that is still missing ... french TV is showing some US decluttering shows .... i watched a few, but it doesn't help me either ..... wondering how to make better progress ....)

#231 ·
11 more items to my nephew

=149/2014 gone

#232 ·
Cleaned out the master bedroom closet and the junk I stuffed into it when company came last fall.

2 clothing items--Donated

2 hats-Donated

3 headbands -Donated

laundry bag-Donated

5 sets of wheels for bottom of plastic drawer things --Donated

container--Donated

bag strap--Donated

hair barette-Donated

unopened makeup package-Donated

xmas coal in a bag--Donated

7 empty makeup/bathroom containers--for recycling fundraiser

12 baby-related pamphlets--Trashed

77 assorted closet trash

never worn platform boots--Donated

3 purses--Donated

zero balance gift card--trashed

7 pairs of fiance's shoes--Donated

3 pairs of new but too small socks--donated

Cord organizer thing--Donated

NIP universal LCD FM transmitter--Donated

key lanyard Donated

notebook Donated

textbook Donated

pet seatbelt Donated

pencil sharpener Donated

tie/belt organizer Donated

shoe insert Donated

1186/2014

$187.56

#233 ·
We had a day off from work due to weather and felt inspired to rearrange the whole layout and purpose of the rooms in our 2 bedroom condo in an effort to make things flow and make room for our son who will be here in 4 months.

The 2nd bedroom was a guest room, craft room, and office. We tossed the full size bed and moved the desk into our dining room. So, now the bedroom is a combo nursery/craft room.

We moved the dining room table and took out a piece of furniture. Somehow we opened up the space even though we added a desk.

The desk used to hold craft items and office items and the office items that did not fit in the desk were stored in the overstuffed entry closet and a shelf that also holds our food pantry overflow.

Now, the desk holds all the office supplies (we got rid of a considerable amount) and we actually have a place to manage our household (mail, calendar etc). The mail was often strewn about the place, expecially on top of our household fire hazard aka toaster oven so this is a very beneficial change.

Later this week, the round kitchen table is going into the craft room/nursery. It will allow us to make a laundry station in its place and will give a better work area for scrapbooking.

In any case, I got rid of a ton of dust bunnies today as well as about 120 items. Clearly, we are busting at the seams, but that is why I am so motivated to get to 2014 items by my due date. We will probably not buy a house for 6-12 months, so we need to make it work and I hope to move with a much lighter load. :)

1300/2014

$187.56

#240 ·
5 baby gift items returned for things I would actually use
=154/2014

#241 ·
counting 100 today, we were gifted very generoulsy a car load of Hs supplies however... trash, old notes and such are not useful... so i declutterd before even bringin them into the house

+100

I have 3 boxes of materials we will not use ready for half price books this week! 2 boxes made it in the house!

318/2014

$7.47

#243 ·
23 items out from Friday

box tops--donated, car trash

82 items out today and yesterday

queen size mattress pad (about to buy a King), packaging and other trash from craft room--trashed

curtain rod finials--donated,

2 mostly empty paint bottles--donated to recycling fundraiser

1405/2014

$187.56

#247 ·
trashed: craft room trash, old documents, office trash

Taken to work (should be there already): folders, book, binder, printer cardstock

Donated: stapler, mini pads of paper, a million dollar bill LOL,
In the going out the door box, but see other people selling on craigslist so I might sell: hanging file folders and new manilla folders

1690/2014

$187.56

I am getting up there. Trying to decide how to reward myself when I reach 2014. I think I will give myself a crafting day where I don't plan to get anything else done the whole day. I am not good at relaxing so this will be a treat. I have been counting little things as 1, but I find that motivating and have discovered a lot of the clutter is trash (not gross trash but papers and packaging I don't need to keep). I will probably reach 2014 before I feel I have finished the major areas and things I want to go through before baby gets here, so I plan to start over again.

Does anyone else have a reward in mind when they reach 2014?

#248 ·
off to a slow start, but i had a baby in january, so i'm giving myself a little grace ;) -- i am proud though that i am giving up recreational spending for lent. i've never given anything up for lent, but i thought this was the perfect time, since i'm on very limited income with maternity leave, and it gives me renewed focus on getting my stuff up for sale!

7 bags of bags brought to recycling center (finally!)

1 wrap sold = $95

= 146/2014, $131

#250 ·
2 skiens of yarn turned into a hat

2 skines of yarn turned into a scarf

2 skeins of yarn turned into a kiddo poncho

3 skiens sent out for swapping

1 skien given away (got yucky yarn in return from swap)

4 skiens given away- allergic to yarn from swap

+14

549/2014

$14.47

Evenutally the yarn items will be donated or gifted as holidays and b'days come around. but the first battle is the yarn... oh the yarn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.