Mothering Forum banner

2014 in 2014

16K views 346 replies 34 participants last post by  Curlyfry7 
#1 ·
Here is our thread for 2014. The goal is to sell/donate/throw away 2014 things over the year.

Here is where you can download the chart! You need to register to download it.

http://www.nourishingminimalism.com/2013/12/2014-in-2014-decluttering-challenge.html

It sounds like a lot but if we average 5-6 things a day we will get there!

I feel like I did so much this year but I know I can do it again. Who else wants to join?

#277 ·
2 sweatshirts
5 hangars
4 books
13 baby clothing items
5 newspapers, recycled

29 items in my 30 min cleaning frenzy
+214= 243/2014

#278 ·
Looks like we are making progress :)

In the last two weeks: 194 items

Trashed: 160 obvious trash, expired medicine, box, 2 lamps, lamp shades, 17 singleton or worn out socks, worn out sandles, old book from childhood, 2 product samples, underwear

Donated--pad of paper, 1 jacket, 3 new pairs of socks too small, crib skirt, crib bumper, plastic bracelet, new microfiber cleaning cloth

Brought to work--1 pencil

291/2014

#281 ·
316 items out. Now to work on more and be specific from with this thread. I have had the "2014 in 2014" check list in my kitchen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#282 · (Edited)
more

tossed/recycled/donated/given to family:

3 more child hangars
8 pieces of clothing to my nephew/niece
7 pieces of mama clothing
1 adult body paint set from 2002 (yikes)
3 pairs of shoes
...more i'm not thinking of... will be back!

243+22=265

#283 ·
I was on a roll yesterday!

Prepared to loan to others:
9 size 0-3 month clothes
119 size 3-6 month clothes
2 pairs of shoes
a baby carrier
a changing mat
a piece that holds a bassinet together
a positioner so a baby wouldn't roll over

Recycle for dog beds because they were so stained: 24 pieces of clothes

Up to 474 of 2014

#284 ·
broke a mirror ( was upset and didn't look too well when placing it on top of coats in order to have a good view on my bruise on my lower back ....)
so i suppose that this count as "one" ... need to dig up my old number, i think it's been 6 to 7 weeks that i haven't recorded anything ...
finally got some time ALONE today so started sorting piles of stuff from one room ...
hopefully i'll be even more productive tomorrow !!!

#286 ·
Haven't been updating recently but I kept track on my phone. Haven't done much the last three months but anything counts, right? :smile:

Donated 20 kids craft items to the neighbor's girls
took 55 bottles to the recycling center ($3.40) and
40lbs of papers from organizing our files (I'll count as 40 items)
Tossed
2 boxes, 5 bags
2 magazines
broken piece from canopy bed
3 things from junk drawer
8 socks
5 expired things from medicine cabinet
2 hair ties
3 lip balms
deodorant
sponge
towel

New Total: 327 + 187(bottles)
$243.90

#287 ·
6 random out dated toiletries

480 of 2014

#289 ·
I keep wanting to shred but then the babies are asleep. Clutter paper is the worst!

#291 ·
I'm joining in here. Not sure if I've been on this year or not but we've had some changes around here and moved into a new rental a few weeks ago. I'm trying to declutter and get us organized into a new house now. I just haven't been motivated so I've been browsing all my favorite minimalist blogs and sites trying to get back in the spirit of things. Maybe posting here will help me keep decluttering little by little.

Just now:
7/2014 - Random products on the bathroom shelf that I never use

#295 ·
Slump for me too. Everytime I get something out of the house, someone else brings me a bag or box of baby stuff for their next season of life. I need to at least keep it at net zero gain.

#296 ·
I've been slacking due to work/kids being super busy lately but slowly getting back into the groove.

toss/recycle/compost

1 skirt with holes in it
1 expired sunscreen
1 toothbrush holder that was super gross
1 pair of shoes
2 packs of very expired nicotine gum
7 pairs of underwear
a big pile of paper

sold

Camera -$60
6 packages of wipes-$6
1 play kitchen and accessories- $20
1 batch of duplo blocks- $5
1 pack of pull ups - $7
1 pair of boots - $10

223/2014

#298 ·
Donated 56 clothing items, 1 mouse pad, 4 pads of paper and 12 other random things.

Tossed or recycled:

4 socks
2 expired sunscreen tubes
3 magazines
1 laptop
1 pair of running shoes
75 bottles $3.75
1 bundle of plastic bags

New Total: 412 + 262 (bottles)
$247.65

#299 · (Edited)
265+

2 hangars
3 items of baby clothes
1 sleep positioner
1 pair boys shoes
4 pair my shoes
2 sweaters
1 winter hat
3 purses
1 massive dictionary

=18 more things donated
=283/2014 -- gosh i really thought i'd be farther toward the goal by halfway through the year... argh.

eta:
I forgot about all the stuff i've been selling lately! this has really been the biggest change for me this year, selling lots of unused and valuable baby items:

5 pocket diapers
4 wetbags
10 fitted diapers
1 woven wrap

=20 items, approx $364 earned

=303 items/2014 & $728 earned

#301 ·
another garbage bag out the door and one garbage bag full of toys ready to leave....as well as a portion of another....yesterday I also got rid of an old crib mattress (foam cut up and given to my mom to use for seat cushions)...also I was given 2 big plastic bins full of maternity clothes....I don't need that many clothes, so I went through them and have one big that is going to be donated to the local crisis pregnancy center

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.