turning a back stair case into a mudroom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm looking for creative ideas. haven't been able to find images on google, perhaps this is a unique idea. we are blessed to have a back stair case, leading directly from the garage into the upstairs of our home. until now, we have not utilized it; i used it for storage. but i am interested now in turning this into an entry and exit way for the kids and i -- thinking that we can hang coat hooks on the walls, a spot for daughter's backpack, spaces for shoes, etc. the benefit is that it goes straight to our car -- instead of having to walk all through the entire house just to get out the door in the morning. same can be true upon re-entry into the house after school.

the stairway is nice and deep -- there is potential for shelving even on the wall facing the top of the stair way. 

does anybody have experience in utilizing a space like this? does anybody have any suggestions on how to arrange it?

many TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Near door - hooks for coats, cubby-holes for scarves & hats; rack for umbrellas?

Next area up - outdoor shoes/indoor shoe changing area (shelves + hook for shoe-horn)

? Back-packs?

I would avoid that area for keeping back-packs, because often you or your kids will have to go through it and put stuff into it ion the house

#3 of 4 Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 PM
#4 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Found this blog that has some ideas (most appear to be products to buy, but give good ideas. Not sure if it would work with an area at the bottom of stairs.    http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2011/02/entryway-mudroom-inspiration-ideas-coat-closets-diy-built-ins-benches-shelves-and-storage-solutions.html

If short on seating space, I'd lean towards having hooks and cubbies instead, and use the stairs to sit on to remove boots/shoes.

Tags
Organizing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page