Mothering Forum banner

Minimizing, getting rid of or keeping the stash?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  erigeron 
#1 ·
I've been decluttering for the past two years and i find that i have a hard time dealing with my toiletries and stationary stash. I've cut down a lot, specially on the toiletries, but i guess its just the kind of stuff i love and use often, so i'll probably always have some of it. I try to live a somewhat minimalist lifestyle but i do enjoy some of my stuff and i'm ok because its all consumables and it does get used. Do you have a stash of anything? If you are decluttering, how do you approach this?

#2 ·
I like to box everything and this give me complete control over what I want to do and what I intend to do. Boxing helps you find the things quickly as they are like some well organized stacks arranged alphabetically so that you don't need to hunt for more and more time to find those little things at times of need. Do keep a track of things that you keep as a mind map and then you never will have to worry about decluttering ever. Always works for me.
:eat

#3 ·
I think if they are consumable things you should keep them. I have shelves in my basement storage for extra appliances I don't use weekly, and other extra supplies.

In contrast my mom brought 30 little hotel shampoos etc over and put them under my bathroom counter. I will never use those do I should get rid of those.

#4 ·
My scrapbooking stuff is certainly a stash. I contain it to keep it organized and am currently "freezing" myself from purchasing anything other than the basics that I can't do projects without (adhesive, cardstock etc.). I will use the majority of it eventually and it motivates me to create more when I think about one day using it all up.

#5 ·
SkylerBurrows - I do keep track of what i have and i use all this stuff but it just keeps coming in (people know i'm a minimalist so they gift me with toiletries and stationary, wich i love). The idea of having stacks of anything scares me! Lol! Decluttering is a never ending procces in my life, because i dont want my home to get cluttered even if it happens real slowly! Cointainers are a big hit here though and i use one to store the toiletries, but i just downsized to a smaller container and wouldn't be happy to go back to a medium-big one.

Springshowers - I think i'll keep them, but sometimes i feel this is not minimalist at all and contemplate the idea of zero stash. Maybe that's because i still find myself clinging to stuff...

I used to have A LOT of hotel shampoos and this is what i did in order to use them up:
If they are not good for your hair, then i suggest you use them as shower gel or maybe even to clean the house.

skyview22- I can relate to that! I'm trying to use up the stash of toiletries and maybe downsize my container even more. I almost donated 80% of it, but it would be sort of a waste of money because i use all products i have stored. In the past i would sometimes buy a product i really love, specially if it was on sale, but now i might stop buying those and use then as sugetions for gifts (people always ask me for suggestions and i have a MIL who doesn't get minimalism and whose love language is gift giving). I guess i'll never ever have to buy lotions, fancy soap (or soap at all) and blank cards. Lol!

#6 ·
My view is that if you have enough storage for all of the objects that you store in your house, then there's no harm in working your way through the things by using them. But if you don't, then the stuff that's stored outside normal storage areas is probably costing you, every day, in more difficult housekeeping and unhappiness with how the house looks and being unable to find things and all sorts of other day-to-day issues. In that case, I'd absolutely vote for donating those things and just ignoring what they cost.

In my case, I got rid of a whole bunch of bars of soap, some of which were no longer particularly appealing to me, and now when I use up a bar I buy a fresh new fabulous scented bar. The idea that, hey, I can use *retailers* to store my extra soap! was rather exciting. :) Of course, there's no guarantee that they'll have my favorites forever, but I'm ordering myself to accept that fact.

#7 ·
I used to have an issue with toiletries - especially things that "weren't working out." I didn't want to just toss them because it seemed wasteful, yet I didn't want to keep using them, but storing them was burdensome in my tiny bathroom.

I finally decided to use up all those old bottles by repurposing - unwanted shampoo became body wash, unwanted conditioner and lotion became shaving cream, etc.

I also realized I was saving things like "special" lotions and bubble baths, etc., for "special occasions," so I decided I was special and deserved to use them whenever I felt like it. :)

Holly

#10 ·
I can relate to the toiletry addiction! I have 3 bathrooms in this house....ahem, so a toiletry addiction multiplied by three, means a lot of toiletries!

However I figure that the majority have a long shelf life, so I am working my way through things bit by bit. Thing like moisturiser, scented body lotion and hand creams and perfumes seem to develop a yuck smell if kept too long, so I have been slathering the stuff on trying to use it up faster!!

Think I might try organising into product types and putting in clear containers and stacking them, because at the moment I just have stuff all sitting on shelves, not in any order.

Definitely going to use that idea of putting all the mini shampoos into one big one, bar one or two for kids to use at school camps.

#11 ·
To me if you have space to store without otherwise impeding you, and you will use the item eventually, it is ok to stash. Within reason... nobody needs 80 bottles of Herbal Essences, but if they're on sale and you get 4 or 5, I don't see the problem. Since I work at a drug store I buy items on sale so that we don't have to pay full price when we actually need a new bottle. I go through stashed items periodically and either use up or get rid of stuff I don't particularly care for. I used to have a lot more yarn stashed and a few years ago I donated a whole ton of yarn I didn't particularly like, which consisted almost exclusively of stuff other people gave me; now I only have remaining stuff I am actually excited to use (someday, as soon as I have time, lol).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.