Declutter Procastinating and Where Should I Sell a Diamond Ring? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What have you been meaning to get rid of, but some step in the process has been a speed bump toward doing so?

For me, it is a diamond engagement ring/wedding band from my previous marriage.  I never intended to keep it, but in 7 years I have not sold it because I want to get fair value for it and wasn't sure where to sell it.  On the up-side, the price of gold has gone up, so I will probably benefit financially by waiting.  Does anyone have any advice about where to sell it to get the best profit?  Jewelry store?  Some online site?  Craigslist?  Consignment?  Do appraisals cost money?  I'm stuck on pause on this one. Help! thanks.gif

I also have the wedding dress (preserved) and a somewhat-pricey tiara, but I think I can move forward with those, but, again, 7 years (and several moves later...).  geesh. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I found a wedding dress consignment shop for my sisters dress. I freecycled mine a few years ago and made someone very happy!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyview222 View Post

What have you been meaning to get rid of, but some step in the process has been a speed bump toward doing so? 

An old 29' television that's huuuuuuge and really heavy. It sits on my home office floor and i use it to display some of my flower pots! Lol! I hire a person to clean the house twice a week and i offered her the television, wich she accepted. The problem is she hasn't made any arrangments to get it out of the house and i'm embarassed to ask her to do it quickly because i'm aware she is going through a hard time and money is really short. The tv has been sitting there for over 6 months! Any ideas on how to approach this?

skyview22, DP suggested you try to sell your ring directly to a buyer. Dp's father is a goldsmith and it seems that good appraisals are usually paid for. Here in Brazil some banks will do free evalutions and even buy jewelry, though. Dp said its really hard to sell jewelry and get a fair value! When you buy a ring you pay for the gold, the stone but you also pay for the goldsmith work and its difficult to get that money back. I know its a ring from your previous relationship but maybe you have friends who would be comfortable buying it? Good luck!

Brazilian; married to dp; currently on the adoption list (fingers crossed!); interested in minimalism and simple living; rusty english.
2014 in 2014 : 131/2014
Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Brasil View Post

An old 29' television that's huuuuuuge and really heavy. It sits on my home office floor and i use it to display some of my flower pots! Lol! I hire a person to clean the house twice a week and i offered her the television, wich she accepted. The problem is she hasn't made any arrangments to get it out of the house and i'm embarassed to ask her to do it quickly because i'm aware she is going through a hard time and money is really short. The tv has been sitting there for over 6 months! Any ideas on how to approach this?

skyview22, DP suggested you try to sell your ring directly to a buyer. Dp's father is a goldsmith and it seems that good appraisals are usually paid for. Here in Brazil some banks will do free evalutions and even buy jewelry, though. Dp said its really hard to sell jewelry and get a fair value! When you buy a ring you pay for the gold, the stone but you also pay for the goldsmith work and its difficult to get that money back. I know its a ring from your previous relationship but maybe you have friends who would be comfortable buying it? Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.  After looking around, I am considering using IdonowIdont.com since they offer both buyer  and seller protection.  They have a 15% commission fee, but I figure since the ring is checked out by their appraisers before passing it on to the buyer, the buyers are more likely to pay a fair price since the risk is lower than on, say eBay.com.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 PM

You  can take it to a jeweler that buys gold and silver. I asked for what they would pay and took that offer. I live in a large city, so had several choices. It turned out that the jewelry store that advertised they paid top dollar...did just that.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Concerning the rings, I just tried to sell/sold a couple of pieces. 

I was told by a jeweler I trust (related to a close family friend) that unless the pieces are really something special (like large, good quality diamonds, vintage Tiffany, etc.), you are going to get the metal scrap value plus very little for the diamonds.  The one diamond ring had a half carat center stone of average quality.  He wasn't interested in that one at all aside from the scrap value of the gold and told me the best case scenario was to sell it privately and hope for $400.  He would have charged $50 for a written appraisal on that item but I suspect that was a friends/family discount.

The other pieces I sold for the gold value.  Call around to independent jewelers and coin dealers and ask what price the are offering.

I need to get rid of DS's tag-a-long bike, his toddler seat for my bike and his little bikes. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM

I have sold some jewelry at a gold/coin shop and did well.  I recently freecycled a bridesmaid dress I've had for just over 8 years.  I paid over $100 for it and it was really pretty but I tried it on recently and it didn't fit me right.  Plus I only wore it at the wedding.  I kept thinking maybe some day I'd need it for a formal event but that has not happened nor does it look likely.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I freecycle my wedding dress a few years ago! I made someone very happy! And it felt great.

I found out that unless you sell it right away second hand wedding dresses do not sell. Usually consignment places only take ones that are maximum 2 years old.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 PM

Have you tried CraigsList? that would be craigslist.com and for your city

Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 PM

It depends on the quality of the ring...

I tried several places before I found a jeweler that paid decent prices.

I did not want the jewelry I sold so was glad for what I got.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Brasil View Post

Did you ever manage to unload it? I think you've been more than reasonable in terms of waiting for her. I wouldn't feel too bad about saying "hey, I really want this thing out of here since it's been here for so long, if you aren't able to get it within the next couple of weeks I am just going to donate it". Assuming you have an alternate avenue to get rid of it. If you have a vehicle that will fit it, can you drop it off at her house? 

We have a big stack of my husband's old textbooks that I kept meaning to see if we could sell to Amazon Trade-In and just never got around to looking up. Last week I was down in the basement watching my daughter play and finally just looked them all up on my phone! And of course they will only take one of them for a whopping $9.50. I think I'll just take them all to Half Price Books. It's amazing the mental blocks we get into about stuff. 

Tags
Decluttering
User Tag List