Babystuff: What to store and what to sell? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a house full of baby stuff: Most of it was never used, or used seldom but I still don't know what to keep and what to give away. I feel guilty getting rid of the baby swing and travel stroller my mom got even though they were only used a handful of times. I think "what hypothetical little sibling doesn't like BWing?" I also have a 10 gallon bin worth of each baby size INCLUDING newborn. How much to keep and how much to get rid of? DD was big enough that she was only in NB stuff for like, a week but what if hypothetical kid is smaller? Blah. Suggestions? 

#2 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Well if you have somewhere to store it and know you plan on another kid I'd keep the big baby gear like bouncer, swing, stroller, etc. I have three kids and found that they all had different preferences as far as that stuff (dd loved bouncer, never cared for swing. lil dd would scream at bouncer, lived in swing).

For clothes I liked to keep around 2-3 weeks worth for little ones since they may sometimes go through 2-3 sets in a day. I mostly stuff to around 14 onesies, plus 7-14 bottoms and tops, 2-4 "good" outfits, and a couple of sweaters/jackets. Bibs worked wonders at saving outfits and those I kept enough for 3/day (washing weekly so about two dozen). 

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Personally I would keep as much as you think you will use if you plan on having more kids. One of my metrics for what I decide to keep is whether I either use it regularly or plan on using it regularly at some point in the future, even if said point isn't really well-defined. Stuff like maternity clothes when not pregnant, and little-kid clothes that your kids have outgrown if you want more kids, falls into this category. If you felt like your kid had way too many clothes when they were that age, then  that's when you could winnow the clothes down some. So far I've never felt that way.

As for the big items, I could kind of go either way on those, because you might use them again but you also could probably borrow or reacquire them secondhand.

If you want them out of your basement for a little while, maybe you could lend them to a friend. :D

Also I made an inventory sheet for my daughter's clothes with how many of which article she has in which size, and plan to do the same with my boy. I make the sheet in Excel and print it out to take with me when yard-saling, so I can see what wardrobe gaps I am looking to fill in upcoming sizes and what I have plenty of. 

#4 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconditus View Post

I have a house full of baby stuff: Most of it was never used, or used seldom but I still don't know what to keep and what to give away. I feel guilty getting rid of the baby swing and travel stroller my mom got even though they were only used a handful of times. I think "what hypothetical little sibling doesn't like BWing?" I also have a 10 gallon bin worth of each baby size INCLUDING newborn. How much to keep and how much to get rid of? DD was big enough that she was only in NB stuff for like, a week but what if hypothetical kid is smaller? Blah. Suggestions? 

I think that these decisions depend very heavily on whether you have cost-free convenient storage for everything you own. If you do, there's no particular harm in keeping extra things. But if you have stuff stacked on stuff, stuff falling down, stuff in boxes stacked in corners, or you're renting a storage unit, then you're effectively paying rent (paying in money or aggravation or unhappiness) on that stored stuff, every single day. (And if you have a bigger house because you need to store stuff, that's costing you, too, though that's a much larger lifestyle decision to make.)

If you don't have plenty of free convenient storage for it, I would recommend getting rid of that swing and travel stroller--would your mother really say, "I intended for you to keep those forever, whether they're useful or not! I don't care if you're tripping on them every day!" If she would, well, I'd still say get rid of them. :) 

As for the clothes, will you use the whole 10 gallon bin while the baby is a given size? If not, then I would absolutely thin them down to an amount that you'd use. Then I'd think about whether you expect to be able to afford baby clothes when the next baby comes and whether you're willing to use someone else's used ones when the time comes, and I'd consider which ones are no longer in impeccable condition, and so on.

Remember that giving them away isn't "waste" if someone else uses them, and throwing the ones in poor condition away isn't a waste if you were never going to use them anyway.

#5 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'd get rid of any clothes I didn't like. I get a lot second hand and while I'm grateful for it all, the first things to go are those that are just not my style or are stained.
#6 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Baby clothes seem to accumulate.  I have 6 kids.  I have never NOT been given plenty of little sleepers and outfits.  I finally purged all my baby clothes after #4 because it had reached a ridiculous amount.  Stained, holes, ugly, outdated, ones I just didn't love got sent out the door. I kept my absolute favorites in the 0-3 and 3-6 month sized and was more generous in keeping the bigger sizes since those aren't gifted nearly as much.  If you lover your bigger stuff like the stroller then I would keep that too but if you don't love it or will want a new one then I would get rid of it now.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#7 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 12:48 AM

I haven't really kept any of the big stuff baby to baby, and I sold or gave away all my clothes after finding out the next baby wasn't the same gender as the previous (girl, boy, girl). I'm on baby #3 and we are up to our ears in baby stuff with her, and we didn't buy most of it lol

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#8 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Do you have space to store the bigger items or are they in your way?

For things like a stroller was it that you didn't use it very often, or there was something about that particular one which you didn't like?

I stored most stuff after DD outgrew it as we planned to have another, and we did use most of it second time round (less so the clothes as the second was a boy)

I did find that some of the things I'd not used much first time round got a lot more use with the second. With DD there was little need to use a pack and play at home. Once there were two it was a safe place to put the baby while I popped to the loo where big sister couldn't poke him.

Stuff that I didn't like first time round I probably should have passed on, a sling I didn't find comfortable, no, not comfy with the next one either!

For me there is also  case of how easy.hard it would be to get a replacement. That's my excuse for still having a pram and couple of slings still in storage. They things I really liked but that design is no longer made so should we have another I would not be able to replace them. There are still plenty of things I should move on to a new home though, our loft is WAY to full.

Tags
Decluttering , Organizing , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page