I'm a minimalist, he's a clutter bug. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies! This is my first post to mothering, and excited to hear some feed back.
When I was growing up we moved as a family A LOT. So, I learned over time, that it's easier to have less, and it's easy to re-accumulate things. I don't keep items, and hardly ever form emotional attachments to things. This has been an easy and simple way of life for me. My husband on the other hand is very different. He lived in ine house, one room his whole life, and has let the stuff overflow. Since we've been together he has drastically cut his clutter, with my guiding hand. But, now he has gotten to a point where he feels like he has gotten rid of so much, that the job is done. I'm very thankful for the steps he has taken, but I would still like to get rid of at least half. I in no way expect him to be a minimalist, but don't see why we need stuff in boxes that haven't been opened in two years. His favorite thing to do (to appease me) is say "it's worth a lot of money, so I'm going to sell it." Which never ends up happening and just sits there.
Has anyone else gone through something similar? What steps did you take to cut back, when it isn't your stuff? Any tips?
Thank you!
#2 of 3 Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My suggestion would be to drop the issue and let him come to his own conclusions. If the stuff is a problem help with organizing. If there is an out of the way place to hide unopened boxes they are not really a problem.

You don't want your help to be perceived as a personal "attack" of his stuff. This could create a problem with your relationship.

Going minimalist is great. I moved and have done it so well. I love it! But you have to want it.
#3 of 3 Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a similar thread on Reddit that may help you: http://www.reddit.com/r/declutter/co...oarder_family/

Tags
Decluttering , Simplifying

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page