I'm on a decluttering roll! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Spring Fever has struck in my house. I have been on a mission to purge and organize in the house, and I am on a roll! I've gone through stuff that I haven't touched in years.

Closets first. I do a pretty good job of keeping up on my closet, but DH is terrible. I got him to purge 8 shirts (much better than the 2 he got rid of last time!). Anything good enough to wear goes to our church rummage sale.

Next, a bookcase under the stairs. I didn't realize I had so many VHS tapes - and no VCR! All in the trash. And a couple of boxes of books for our library's book sale.

Next stop: laundry/utility room. I have cabinets over the washer/dryer, and they are mostly a one-way trip: things go in, but don't come out. I really wish I had taken a photo before I started! I emptied the cabinets, tossing the majority of what came out. I filled 2 paper grocery bags with trash. I'm embarrassed at the crap I had up there! Now, what went back in the cabinets it organized, visible, and I have 3 empty shelves, out of 6!

Son's closet: He has a walk-in, with hanging rods on both sides and shelves above. His clothes are on one side, mine on the other. The shelves were completely "out of sight, out of mind", since I rarely go in his closet. My wedding dress was up there (it's 27 years old). My Mom knows a woman who makes American Girl dresses from wedding gowns - Score! And we had two hats (in boxes) that belonged to my FIL, who died almost 20 years ago. No one in my family would wear them, even if they weren't too small. I have a friend who is involved in the community theater, and she'll take them for their costume department. Score again! The now-empty shelf in DS's closet now contains suitcases and duffel bags (which were piled on the floor in my other son's closet).

Next up: sons' bathroom closet. It's worse than the laundry room, I'm sure! That's going to be an all-day job, but what fun. Then the storage space under the foyer (our house is a split-entry). And as soon as it warms up a bit, I'll tackle the garage.

Like I said - I'm on a roll!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#2 of 8 Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow, good for you!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#3 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Amazing. Your house must be feeling so great!
#4 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woohoo!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#5 of 8 Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Awesome!

#6 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That's awesome - well done! 

I'm on a similar journey too, except for me, it's autumn here now and I'm getting winter fever :) My plan is to have the house in perfect order for those cold, gloomy months. Nothing is nicer than a cozy, well organized and clean home in winter. 

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#7 of 8 Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Yippee! Me too, finally! Inspiration!
#8 of 8 Old 03-21-2014, 04:28 AM

I have Autumn fever here too lol....just want to clear things out while the sun shines (make hay while the sun shines?) so that the house will be more liveable for winter!

SAHM to three

Tags
Decluttering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page