A moment of truth... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a bit of an epiphany tonight because a friend showed me craft books and embroidery books she is throwing out to the op shop....eeek, two great loves of mine, craft and embroidery and my heart literally started pounding with anxiety at the sight of those books, I sooo wanted to grab the embroidery book off her pile, and run away with it. :lol

However I restrained myself, and then I thought about the reality... that I have countless books on those topics already, many of which I should get rid of myself, because I am finding my eyesight is not anywhere as good as it used to be so I am not even doing embroidery anymore!!! 

So I asked myself why did I want another book on the subject?  I realised that it is not for any practical purpose, as it won't make me do any embroidery, except in my dreams, and will only be a backward step with decluttering. When I think about that book, I realise it's the IDEA of doing embroidery that is appealing, the idea makes me feel happy, but realistically I am not going to do it anymore, so I have to let go of that idea...as well as letting go of the book.

SAHM to three
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 AM

It's good to be realistic about what you are and aren't going to do. I think we can all learn from that!

My craft situation is a little different. I still actively knit (even though at a glacial pace right now because I have a new baby) and have no intention of stopping. But I have way more yarn than I can knit up any time soon, so I am trying to avoid acquiring more yarn "to knit someday" and only buy new if I have a project I feel strongly about doing and I don't have any yarn that's appropriate. As for books, I have kind of a revolving door for them; if I am given them or see them cheaply and they look kind of interesting, I'll take them, but I leaf through them for inspiration, and I'm not shy about getting rid of books that I have looked at and don't find inspiring enough to keep or don't think I'll make any of the projects. Of all of the books I've been gifted in recent years I've kept only a few that I still do look at, and passed the rest on. A lot of books have pretty similar patterns in them and you really only need so many.... you can find similar free patterns online, or buy a PDF of only the pattern you want. 

Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Is that one of your knitting creations in your photo? Very cute! :D

I often wished I had a library in my house, like in the movies where they have a huge room with high ceilings and a ladder to climb up to the second lot of books...but I guess in reality it would just mean a lot more cleaning!  Better to minimise the number of books we have to store, and go to the library if we really want to look at more books.

SAHM to three
Old 03-23-2014, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

hello clutterwarior ... i haven't yet reached your wisdom on books .... have just sent a private message to a local expat so that i can meet up with her this afternoon before the church service she attends & she's giving books for free & i've asked if i could have one on various craft projects .... (and i'm very bad at dusting too !!!)

Old 03-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You are supposed to dust your books? Oh dear, that explains a lot around here. LoL

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 420/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $86.88
Old 03-24-2014, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

... well, this is how i select friends whom i invite for lunch or dinner .... those who are more interested into discussing and eating with me .... than in commenting on the thickness of the dust layer around (yes, i had two family members who did that .... i don't see them much nowadays ... LOL)

Tags
Decluttering , Organizing , Simplifying
User Tag List