Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Organize & Declutter (http://www.mothering.com/forum/315-organize-declutter/)
-   -   To donate or yard sale (http://www.mothering.com/forum/315-organize-declutter/1401113-donate-yard-sale.html)

lovemylab 04-27-2014 02:07 PM

I am in a toss it out mood!! Our house honestly can't store much more stuff. I have a ton of baby gear and clothes I can start getting rid of. My question is yard sale or donate? I decided for clothes anything that isn't of great value like snowsuit etc I will donate locally for sure, even with a yard sale there would just be too much.

He is the thing obviously live is busy and I would rather spend time playing with the family on a weekend morning but some cash would be nice. I am just trying to decide if it's worth the hassle or just find a pregnant person and say hey would you like all my stuff;)

Mylie 04-27-2014 02:25 PM

I would have a yardsale...then off to the side put a free table with the things you want to give away...A lot of people that yardsale don't have a lot of money and would probably love that table...

Crayfish 05-05-2014 11:39 PM

My attitude is usually that unless you really badly need the money, or unless you have lots of free time, just donate.

PeacefulSeams 05-15-2014 08:19 PM

Yard sale...you could make it a family event. Have the kids sell some lemonade and help make signs. I am having one next week!

Trixie Falsae 05-25-2014 07:37 PM

When I want something gone, I want it gone. It is much simpler to simply give things away than to hold on to it, price it, organize a garage sale and spend a day/weekend hoping it gets bought. Then what do you do with whatever is left over? I just donate my things.

anyalily 06-12-2014 01:12 AM

I just had a yard sale. I did it because I wanted my daughter to feel the tears of getting rid of stuff, in her case $30 to spend on a new toy after she filled a box with old toys.

That being said it was a tin if work, we still had most of the stuff when we were done and we made about $200 in two days... Not worth it monetarily...

Next time I may take a few boxes of kids stuff to the flea market with my best friend and our older kids... But no more yard sales...

clutterwarrior 06-13-2014 10:35 PM

These days I just donate everything....gets it all out of the house faster. As it is, that takes long enough as I have to wait till I have the time to fill the car with stuff and drive it to the charity collection bins. I don't like having garage sales ever since I had one about 25 years ago, that scarred me for life haha....very stressful!

I used to ebay things but no more...I realised the huge amount of energy and time I was putting into it was not worth it for the monetary return. I won't bother listing anything again unless it is a valuable item.

NiteNicole 06-19-2014 04:07 PM

I am in the same situation. We are moving to a much smaller space and we just can not keep all the stuff we have collected. It's too much for THIS space. I just don't think we will get enough money to make it worth it and I feel like after hours of pricing and setting up and sitting in the 98F heat, I am just going to end up hauling it off to Goodwill anyway.