I got rid of my wedding gown - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got rid of my wedding gown

I went through a whole house purge last winter, starting with my son's closet. I had stuff stored up on the shelves that I hadn't seen for years.

One shelf contained large boxes. Two of them contained hats that belonged to my FIL. No one in my family would wear them - wrong size, wrong style. So I donated them to the local community theater. A month later I went to a play, and saw one of FIL's hats on stage!

The biggest box contained my wedding gown - it's been in that box since 1987. I took it to a woman who makes American Girls dresses from wedding gowns. The rest of the dress was given to another person who makes baptism gowns.

Here's the original dress:

And the doll dress:

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
What a beautiful bride you were! I really should get rid of mine, too. I had the idea that one of my daughters might wear it someday but it wasn't even packed professionally and by the time my oldest is grown it will have sat in a closet for at least 35 years.
#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I still have my dress. It's in a box. I was bummed that I couldn't try it on a few years ago just for yucks without breaking the seal. I have no idea what I'll do with it but it's undoubtedly out of style so I probably couldn't sell it now. Luckily, my mom is keeping it for me. If it was living in this house, it probably would have been sold by now. I have lived in tiny places all my life and that would have been culled years ago.
#4 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
That is a great idea! My original dress was a dress I wore to a school homecoming, it is little and doesn't take up much space, so I have kept it (plus since it isn't toooo dressy, so I have been able to wear it multiple times since then). Since my original wedding was just a small back yard wedding with only close family, a while after we were married and settled (and had more money), we did a bigger church wedding. I borrowed my sis in law at the times dress. So I don't have to store it thankfully....but her and my brother got divorced and she offered it to me. I surprisingly enough declined it..and told her that her family could have it (because it had bits of family heirlooms on it). For our 10 year, we did a vow renewal and I got a new dress. It is super cute and I hope that one day my kids might want to wear it. I don't think it is horribly trendy in one way or another...so hopefully the style will stay. I just hope that the white doesn't yellow. =S

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page