Mothering Forum banner

When to get rid of these toys

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lady Phoenix 
#1 ·
Can anyone help please? The biggest space grabber in my home is my kids toys and books.The major toy categories are Duplo, Lego, Littlest Pet Shop (200 animals, no duplicate), 12 LPS/ELC houses and Schleich animals. Nothing broken/ dirty. My kids are 9 and 12 years old. They still spend a lot of time playing with the LPS and Schleich. They build with Lego and Duplo only once in a while but they won't get rid of them. I also like both Duplo and Lego:wink:. Luckily my kids don't like the new LPS so they've stopped buying it.
I try to pare down their books and gave them Kindle. The eldest loves her Kindle but still buying books on her own. Her younger sister only likes 'real' books.
Those with older kids, when do they stop playing with those kinds of toys? Do you get rid of the toys or do you keep them? I heard that some kids like to play with Lego again in their late teens. How much is too much books/Lego/LPS/Schleich?:smile: Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Personally, I would never get rid of Lego....they cost too much and last forever. My kids have a bin of them that I had when i was a kid, then I added more to them when my oldest son (just turned 18) was little, and now my younger boys play with them all the time. They don't take up that much space (unlike huge plastic toys, for example) and I'm happy to hang onto them for the eventual grandkids. Legos are not something we can really afford new, and i always buy them if i see them for sale used for cheap. We've never had Little Pet Shop stuff but that, too, doesn't seem like they would take up that much space in the grand scheme of things..it would depend on how much storage space you have. Would they all fit in a rubbermaid bin? If your kids want to hang on to them but dont want to part with them can you just store them? I'm still regretting giving away the pokemon collection my oldest had (stuffed ones, cards, blankets, etc) because now my youngest boys are into them. Every time i go through my kids' toys to purge, legos, lincoln logs, and the like we always keep. They are timeless.

#4 ·
My siblings and I still pulled out Lego well into our teens when we got bored. I would put it all into plastic bins as suggested and just store it in a closet or out of the way place - pare it down a bit if needed, but some things are always great to have around if they can be stored neatly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.