Mothering Forum banner

6 items min.daily - to declutter in 2015 (baby steps, one at a time !)

8K views 161 replies 21 participants last post by  IsaFrench 
#1 ·
Am going to try getting rid of 6 items minimum per day in 2015.

I have LOADS of papers to sort out.
Plus plenty of knick-knack lying around

My clothing is mainly sorted out,
kitchen and bathroom relatively under control,
i tried using the 2014 in 2014 chart but didn't find it actually worked for me in the long run ....

Now, taking baby steps towards a more streamlined life ....
Anyone wants to join me and share about their decluttering challenges ? ... Welcome here, post your progress and let's inspire each other !!!

#140 ·
lost track for a couple months- not gonna attempt to rebuild that time frame... moving on

697/2015
$173.74 recovered
144 skeins of yarn used and counting.

plans to spend this week, cleaning out closets and donating things. making way for things that actually fit and that we actually like... if the item isnt in BOTH categories OUT it goes.

#143 ·
lost track for a couple months- not gonna attempt to rebuild that time frame... moving on

697/2015
$173.74 recovered
144 skeins of yarn used and counting.

plans to spend this week, cleaning out closets and donating things. making way for things that actually fit and that we actually like... if the item isnt in BOTH categories OUT it goes.
Wow, quite the accomplishment! I like you picked right back up after being away from it temporarily and you are keeping track!

#144 ·
Counting yarn skiens as follows:
Scarf3 skiens (BIL xmas)
scarf 2 skeins (sister xmas)
scarf 4 skiens (mother xmas)

750/2015
$173.74 recovered
155 skiens of yarn used and counting (lost count)

*i need to make a run to coinstar later this week for an amazon credit, and from here on out i will be coutning yarn skiens as i finish up projects for this year. well thats the plan anyway. we probalby have one more trip to the resell book store before the holidays to clear out as well.

#145 ·
Cleared through the empty bottles in the bathroom
Threw out a pair of sneakers that was full of holes
Consolidated three different packets of hair grips
Donated the odd coffee cup that always bugs me
Put a whole season of TV shows into a DVD binder (saves SO much space!)
And have put a nearly-empty perfume out so I'll use it up

#147 ·
This week I:
gave away about 100 books (man, that felt good!).
Donated all my CDs to the Sally Ann - after making digital copies.
Donated 2 boxes of old electronics (Sally Ann).
Gave my yoga mats to a homeless person.
Brought back about 25 glass milk bottles.
Went to the recycling center to recycle accumulated styrofoam.
Donated 3 large paper bags of old clothing.
Threw out several cracked dishes.
Threw out several pottery projects of DS (ouch, but necessary).
Threw out an old day-timer of mine! Oh bliss. Gone are the days of the past.
Recycled all paper clutter (shred, shred, shredding endlessly sucks!).
Threw out some old spices. Sorted through spice rack and beans/flours rack.
Cleaned out fridge.
Cleaned 2 junk drawers.
Cleaned all kitchen drawers.
Donated a tiki torch (or whatever you call these).
Recycled old metal.
Threw away some dead toys (I have to be careful here, cause DS remembers all his toys even though he does not play with them).
Recycled three old paintings.

On a roll here!

This coming week, we'll make a bonfire with all the random wood sitting in the yard!

#148 ·
Cleaned DS's room. Threw away some junkie toys. Took away some larger items. If he doesn't ask for them, they'll be gone.
Reorganized the kitchen some more. Removed utensils that we don't need.
Did a run to the second hand store.
Sold two items on craigslist.
Brought more books to the book exchange.
Brought back more recyclable bottles.
Cleaned DS's drawer unit.
Cleaned the yard somewhat.

Oh, I don't know. I was running around the house for 8 hours yesterday cleaning and clearing. I get in a bad mood, because of all the stuff laying around. DH gets unsettled because I'm clearing clutter. But it is necessary as I was tripping over things and hurting myself again. I hurt myself really badly a few years ago on stray toys (hospitalization) and I don't want that to happen again. Ever.

#151 ·
3 skiens scarf
1 xmas tree to dumpster (replaced with new non-fire hazard one but still)
1 xmas decoration to dumpster, not replaced, again fire hazard

775/2015
$180.74 recovered
169 skiens of yarn used and counting (lost count)

Suffered major yarn buyiing failure during cyber week and black friday but I should be set for 2016. I was waiting for 50% off and had my eyes on some beautiful stuff that finally went on sale. Oh well... merry xmas to me! A huge box of yarn is coming my way next week.:smile:

#153 ·
Just wanted to pop in and say that this concept has been so helpful. Today for example, gathered a bunch of t-shirts from work that aren't presentable any more to take back and use for cleaning, threw out a pile of papers, emptied the shower of shampoo bottles, put out some perfume minis to be used up, threw out a can opener that doesn't work any more, and collected a bunch of trash from the bedroom that was piling up.

#154 · (Edited)
Counting 20 from cleaning out kiddo room today. will be heading to dontating tongight.

809/2015
$180.74 recovered
169 skiens of yarn used and counting (lost count)

I will also make one last trip to coinstar after xmas for amazon credits. but sometime between 12/25-12/31
We have also added into our mess , saving bottle caps for art club.- every 2 weeks when club meets I will be giving her a baggie of caps.

#157 ·
Put out a collection of jars for a friend who's crafting with them. Used up the last of some cleaning product and threw away the bottle. Turned a holey towel into rags and put them away. Melted some candle ends together. Cleared out empty toilet rolls from the upstairs bathroom. Threw out a bunch of old wire hangers.

#158 · (Edited)
4 items given to a friend
pj pants
1 skien turned into a scarf
1 skien turned into a scarf
2 old make up things

adding on 20 as im making a food bank and toys for tots donation today. cleaned out the pantry of stuff we cant/wont eat and toys/books ds hasnt used.

842/2015
$180.74 recovered
171 skiens of yarn used and counting (lost count)

Heading to coinstair before the end of the year!!

#159 ·
I have a serious problem with paper clutter so I count every 10 pieces of paper as 1 recycled

easily 1,000 pieces of paper recycled so that equals 100 items
18 items to the trash including dried up markers and broken toy bits
35 magazines recycled

New total 874/2015

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.