flylady - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 103 Old 06-27-2004, 04:09 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just heard about her. i was put off by the thought until i read this thread. it gives me hope. will check into it next week. dh and i both want a clean house, really.
#62 of 103 Old 06-27-2004, 04:59 AM

I admit it... I am downright AFRAID of FlyLady.

But. I have to do something about the state of my home. For reals. No joke.

So... I am with you, ladies...

(but still a bit frightened!)
#63 of 103 Old 06-27-2004, 10:31 PM

it is my personal opinion that if you do all the things in the emails you will never get anything done LOL
I just do the routines, zone missions and hot spots
#64 of 103 Old 06-27-2004, 11:22 PM

Linnea,
Just do the declutter and go from there one pile at a time or one room at a time.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#65 of 103 Old 06-28-2004, 02:39 AM

Tomorrow is the big day... I will start flying. I'm going to stick to the zones per week at first because I have a LOT of clutter... I've started a little notebook with a list for each zone, I'm going to write a bedtime and morning routine, and a weekly routine... I think that's plenty.

Just for starters, though, decuttering!
#66 of 103 Old 06-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I've been trying to fly but I still don't quite "get it"... although I have been keeping up with the sink and dishes and making my bed. I got the email with the first three days, where she said to sort of ignore the rest, but after those 23 days I wasn't sure where to go next. Doing all the stuff in the emails seem like too much... actually, some days it's all too much, but baby steps, right?
You are right -- there are some days when it's all too much and I pretty much chuck the whole thing. And I think that's OK because, while organizing the house will make life easier and better in the long run, sometimes other things are more important!

Here's my understanding of the progression of things. Realize that I've only been doing this for under a month, so I'm still very much in the introduction stage myself. Each step builds on the others, so once you starting doing a step, you continue doing it as you add the next steps. The amount of time you take between adding steps is up to you and your comfort level.

1. Make a commitment to this and signal commitment by shining the sink.
2. Create beginning of the day and end of the day routines and do them. Start very small. I think I have 5 things on each, and that includes eating breakfast and such. One of these routines includes shining the sink (for me its the evening). And the morning routine is supposed to include putting on your shoes (but I've substituted bra because it gives the same mental "its daytime" jolt but isn't as uncomfortable for me).
3. Begin spending 15 minutes per day decluttering, working in the assigned "zone". I think we moved to the living room today.
4. Embrace the mindset of "putting things away immediately after you use them", which is how things STAY decluttered once you get them so. I've kept my bathroom vanity clean for 2 whole weeks now, which is a major record in our house.
5. Expand from there to include more specific cleaning tasks, maybe including the "missions" assigned in the emails.

At least, that's how I put this all together. So far, its definitely helping in our house and I feel like I'm doing less work but the house looks and feels better.
#67 of 103 Old 06-30-2004, 03:16 AM

of video tapes
I still have several shelves to go

In addition to the current zone I am trying to do 15 mins at least 2x a week in my bedroom
I am trying out the "if you were moving what would you get rid of"
Of course I live with a messie/packrat and can't declutter his stuff
Last week before I got off track I did two dresser drawers!
Funny thing tonight I had ds check the zone mission about 8 because I forgot ( not getting emails due to msn/yahoo problems) and I had already done that because it is part of my evening "routine"!!!
#68 of 103 Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 AM

Congrats on the declutter to all who started!

One rule we keep is bring something in, take another out. It makes our life so much easier.

Also, there are going to be days when stuff does not get done- ie: perfect shiny day outside or a day when people are sick in your house. But, if you are keeping out on every other day, it should be no problem to keep up

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#69 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Banned

you all give me hope and inspiration. i will sign up on and start when the email arrives. will keep you posted.
#70 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 03:28 AM
Banned

i just joined. easier than i thought. i was scared.
#71 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 07:27 PM

Can I join you all? I am just sick of struggling w/my house and it STILL being a wreck! I don't function very well unless everything is organzied and clean...and it hasn't been that way for months and months and months. :

I actually signed up for flylady 3 months ago. I was starting to get things together and then I broke my foot. I'm still not back to normal but I need to get my house together. Family is coming in a matter of weeks!

I get the emails but I just delete them. I try some of the things they suggest but obviously it isn't helping. I think support like this would be more helpful. So, can I join your thread? Is there any hope for me?:
#72 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 10:15 PM

: I'm here.

I haven't been very good lately with the sink shining...*but*, I have been doing a lot of decluttering. You know what has helped me, is the show, "Clean Sweep". A team goes into a house and helps the family declutter, clean and organize 1 or 2 rooms. Everybody has rooms like this...filled with cr@p that no one is using.

The weather is nice here so I have been pulling boxes, containers out of the basement and repacking them. It is our goal to finish the basement, but we can't until it is in order. This past weekend, Ron and I cleaned the garage. I turned 6 containers into 2 We took a carload to Salvation Army and kept some things for a yard sale (ellie wants to have a toy sale).

I have more energy when the weather is nice and I am good once I start on a mission. I started lurking over here and saw my friends, so I thought I'd come chat for awhile. I still need help with the toys and some of our hs supplies.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#73 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 10:18 PM

Joan I love that clean sweep show. I never got that bad, but I was on my way. It shows us to throw out throw out throw out.

Another thing you could do is arrange quarterly pick ups of the salvation army or another similar. We do that and its worth it.

Keep up the ggod work- you going in the right direction.

#74 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
I still need help with the toys and some of our hs supplies.
You know, I was working on the decluttering. I've been throwing all kinds of things way (despite the separation anxiety that ensued :LOL) and I brought four huge garbage bags to the Salvation Army (mostly toys). Their toys are still out of control. :

WRT the shining sink thing, it just doesn't do it for me. It's like the whole program is ruined for me because I will never care if the sink shines (which I didn't see a difference w/my sink anyway even w/the bleach) and I will never agree to putting dirty dishes in a bin under my sink. It's gross to me. See, with my attitude I'm never going to "fly." :LOL

Oh, and can someone explain the blessing thing? I just don't get it. Does it just mean that if you clean your house you're blessing it?

Good to see you here Joan.
#75 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 PM

The blessing term is a euphimism for cleaning the house (I think). :LOL

You know, I am considering starting a whole thread about the toy thing. I just don't know what to do. It is cold 6 mos. out of the year here (here comes the justification), the kids play with most of their toys and we don't have many junky toys. But, I know what you mean, even after the clean out...still way too many!

Ellie collects a couple different things, Ben likes trucks, balls, blocks, they both play with playmobile....geez. I have to really be in the right mood to declutter....if I am too sentimental, I can't do it. Thanks for the welcome!

#76 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 11:31 PM

Ah, so it's to help those of us who see "housecleaning" as a dirty word. :LOL Well, that would include me.

That is hard w/6 months of cold. I also can relate to you because we homeschool so I'm afraid to just get rid of all of their learning tools (i.e. toys ).

Thanks for clarifying the "blessing" term. I'm going to have to try to start using it now.
#77 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 PM

I picked you above but i did something wrong and it became a separate post!

maybe start a 'how do you decide which toys to get rid of' thread and get input on criteria?
#78 of 103 Old 07-01-2004, 11:50 PM

Hi Cerri! You couldn't get rid of me for long

Where do you think a thread like that should go? TAO, Childhood Years? I think I will make it like a "confession" thread...list your toys!!

#79 of 103 Old 07-02-2004, 10:59 AM

A good way to clean out toys...

Plush toys- they gather dust and germs. If you child dos not play with them- toss them. Don't donate these, they are a huge carrier of germs. I have a new rule- no plush toys unless she plays with them. Plush on shelves is only gathering dust-yuck

Toy: How many sets of things-is shapesorters, balls, old books, If your kids have outgrown them get them out. Keep only a special book/toy they loved. If you have twos or more of an item- narrow down to one.

I got over the "sentimental' thing when my neighbor's house caught fire and all those things burned the house for another hour-magazines, books, stuff-all great to feed a fire. A good way thing to ask yourself- if this house were burning down what would I grab or would I grab this? You would grab your family first.

#80 of 103 Old 07-02-2004, 07:40 PM

I was doing so well, and then my schedule went splat and now I've totally fallen off the wagon. How on earth are you supposed to want to do any sort of routine at 11 PM when you have finally gotten both kids to bed - you know, the same ones you started getting into bed at 7:30? All of a sudden I'm working full time (from part time) and I just can't get used to it. I did actually do a little decluttering last night, but I'm disappointed that I have fallen behind again. Company coming tomorrow, so I guess I'll be doing a whole weeks worth tonight.
#81 of 103 Old 07-02-2004, 09:02 PM

as behind as you think
I have been down for two days though when I would get up I would do little things here and there
maybe in between bed time struggles you can set a timer for a five minute room rescue ( the kids could help with small things)

My beloved MOM4tot I would never want to be rid of you for long! who would keep me grounded and sane on "those' days ??
#82 of 103 Old 07-02-2004, 10:40 PM

I got back from being gone for 5 days and the house smells funny. DD said while I was gone it wwas easier to keep up the house. Um, yeah. They ate out every night and I wasn't here to pick up after them so they had to do it themselves.

I had planned on getting stuff ready for baby this weekend. Guess not.
#83 of 103 Old 07-05-2004, 05:05 PM

I love the flylady. I should also mention that I have gotten her emails on and off for 3 years and I still have Chaos. :

But what it has done for me is really given me great ideas. In the summer I sometimes go barefoot but most of the time I like the way my back feels when I am wearing good comfortable shoes and how I am willing to do more because I am willing to get off my tushie.

The whole shiny sink is just to get you are starting point.

You are only supposed to do babysteps!!! Jump in where you are at and your not behind.....something like that anyways.

I grew up without ever learning how to cope with messes or how to clean. So I had no idea what I was doing with my own home especially with three kids, a dh, two cats, and three fish. Flylady let me know I wasn't alone and no matter what I accomplished, it was a blessing.

If you are attracted to the Flylady way it might be because you are a SHE, and if that's true then you might also be the type of person who would rather do nothing if you can't do everything. That is part of what she is trying to help people deal with, ya know? It's okay to clean the table off even if you don't have time to give it the awesome scrub it really needs..... that kind of thing.

Okay done for now. Glad I found this thread.
#84 of 103 Old 07-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Banned

(not reading the whole thread.. i know.. bad me.. will do it later when not so stressed)

I'm part of a flybabies group for the SCA. Mostly just us trying to get some sense of order out of the chaos in our lives.
#85 of 103 Old 07-05-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaguess
you might also be the type of person who would rather do nothing if you can't do everything. That is part of what she is trying to help people deal with, ya know?
Yes, that would be me. Thanks for your post mammaguess!
#86 of 103 Old 07-05-2004, 09:19 PM

MamaAllNatural--its me too . That's why not knowing how and only wanting it done right was an amazingly difficult place to be.

Glad I was able to help
#87 of 103 Old 07-05-2004, 10:07 PM

I didn't do my house blessing yesterday because dh has a three day weekend ( and he makes most of the mess) I usually do it on Sunday and then the week all I have to worry about are zone missions and routines
I have found that one chair I can sit in and vaccum and its not so hard even breaking into 15 mins here and there ..
I need to change the sheets and clean my room then hit the kitchen and lr
but I just so have a case of the I DON'T WANNAS

And dh last weekend-since I am in full flare and down in lower back last Sunday I had the timer and was doing the 15 min on 15 min rest and he has the nerve to say later when I pointed that out
h did you really?"
Umm HELLO the timer was RIGHT THERE BY YOUR ELBOW DUH

Ok going to set this lt aside and get my room looking decent ,,,,,,
#88 of 103 Old 07-06-2004, 12:21 PM

everything but the bathroom and the one school desk ( dh is working on my computer and has parts everywhere )
My room is pleasant again-well as pleasant as it is going to get.
Has anyone read 'living with messies?" I have such a packrat dh ..it drives me nuts
so I can only fly on mine and the kids stuff...
#89 of 103 Old 07-06-2004, 12:35 PM

since these aren't magnetic are they safe to put on a credit card??? TIA!
#90 of 103 Old 07-06-2004, 12:56 PM

I think so! Congratulations on getting so much done

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page