flylady - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 103 Old 05-28-2004, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, i give in. i'm going to try it again. only this time i'm going to actually do it!

i was talking to my neighbor who's sil did it, and she has 4 kids and now a spotless house. it inspired me :LOL

anyone else want to try it?

www.flylady.net

i've decided to not get the emails, for now anyway, because they just overwhelm me.

right now i'm taking baby steps (gawd, now i'm speaking the lingo...) and am only doing my before bed routine, plus making bed, getting dressed (to my flip flops!) and occassionally shining my sink

i'd also love to hear how others made this work, how they started out (slowly or if they just jumped right in) testimonials, whatever.
#2 of 103 Old 05-28-2004, 12:46 PM

Really, there is a site for this?! I need it. Count me in. Should we call ourselves the housekeeping impaired tribe? Kidding, well kinda. I'll look at the site and check back.
#3 of 103 Old 05-28-2004, 12:57 PM

Okay. I went there. Very practical info and directions. I'm going to shine my sink now. No bleach for me though.
#4 of 103 Old 05-28-2004, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

yes! housekeeping impaired tribe. much more pc than slob.

and no bleach for me, either
#5 of 103 Old 05-28-2004, 01:48 PM

Count me in. I love the Flylady. I used to get her posts before and found it very helpful. I'll sign up again and join you. Lord knows, my house could use the help!!
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#6 of 103 Old 05-28-2004, 03:42 PM

This is GRRREAT! I was going to do this a long time ago too but was overwhelmed. But I am also going to try again...starting with the kitchen sink.
#7 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 12:49 AM

Somehow this thread getting moved to personal growth insults me. Is no one else's house messy?
#8 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 01:29 AM

I just signed up for the emails for the second time a few weeks ago. I need help!!!
I do what I can and don't get hung up on 'not following' her rules and I am no longer overwhelmed about the emails, I just delete them, lol
So far.....

I only do laundry on Mon/Wed/Fri and this is working and is nice to have no laundry on the weekends

I have been keeping my sink clean all day long most of the time

I bought her feather dusters and have used them, lol

I make my dh lunch when I clean up dinner, no more early wake-ups for me or empty stomach for dh

And I am now a fond beleiver in 'any' housework blesses your home!

Slowly, other habits are coming too, like thinking where I would put something before I buy it! lol

But I do want to do her routines and such, they are habit forming and really help.

Did you know she has based lots of her ideas, especially about clutter, on feng shui, that really inspires me to stick with her too
#9 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

that's cool that she uses fung shui in her plans! i was wondering about her whole thing with the number 27...

i fell asleep last night nursing dd in bed and didn't do my before bed routine. so this morning the house looks like a wreck we're going out for the day, and then i'll clean when we get back. it always helps me to recharge and get away for a little bit.

i think that for me the before bed routine is key. it puts me in a better mood in the morning to wake up to a semi-clean house. but i'm trying to actually make it into a routine before i go any further.
although, i am wondering when i can start decluttering...
#10 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 04:49 PM

OK, that website is WAY TOO big for me--I don't even understand what it is all about. You have to join? You get emails? What do the emails say? I am sorry to be so dumb. I don't get this at all. Can someone summarize it for me?

Thank you.
#11 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quee, I know what you mean. If you click on flying lessons, there's more about it there, but it's still not a specific step-by-step plan when looking at the big picture. Look at Flying Lessons, and then the Table of Contents. That's helped me some.

I'll share what I'm planning to do, and would like to hear what others are planning to do:

I'm starting small...baby steps, as she says, with just a bedtime routine and a morning routine. I'm going to do that, and only that, until it becomes habit. After that, I'm going to add something else, like decluttering. Maybe i'll join at that time. I'm not joining yet, because all the emails overwhelm me.

Does that help at all? Maybe someone else will have better advice than i.
#12 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 09:42 PM

Count me in! I just signed up for the e-mail reminders.

Best to all,

JA
#13 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 09:46 PM

me too me too

tho... what's the big deal about having a clean shiny sink??? can i just make sure my dishes are done? lmao
#14 of 103 Old 05-29-2004, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

welcome all

minicooper, :LOL i hope this doesn't throw me off in some way, but i equate shiny sink with nearly-empty sink. my before bed routine is much more important to me (says the woman who has only done them twice!).
#15 of 103 Old 05-30-2004, 04:23 AM

Can I jump in too? I have 4 kids too and suddenly I cannot handle anything anymore. My house has never been this out of control and it creates more chaos and takes so much time. I spent hours looking for some footie/shoe thingys to put on the baby, I am late so often b/c I can't find what I need. We never have clean clothes and I must have at least 12 loads sitting all over my basement floor!
I looked at flylady once and too got so overwhelmed by the webpage I freaked out and left. Dh and I are trying to get some organization done this weekend, but the baby will not stop fussing, I cannot do anything without her completely attached to my body somehow and even then she is fussing sometimes. UGH
Ok mamaley, I think we gave birth a day apart after being overdue too! and here we are again so this means to me we are destined to be friends!

OK, I am going to follow your suggestions and go look again and try it. sighs* wish me luck
#16 of 103 Old 05-30-2004, 05:17 AM

i tried that awhile back and it worked for.... about a week.

i'm so horrible at housekeeping.

good luck to everyone here.

also check out Regina Leed's stuff... i think the Get Organized articles are still over at iVillage (if that's still around) ~ worth googling. the Get Organized challenge helped me way more than flylady. i have no idea why.
#17 of 103 Old 05-30-2004, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok mamaley, I think we gave birth a day apart after being overdue too! and here we are again so this means to me we are destined to be friends!
:LOL yes we are!
#18 of 103 Old 05-31-2004, 12:49 AM

check out some of the older flylady threads too if they are still around

I haven't done all of my houseblessing today -in too much pain but I got a lot done and dh even helped a little bit
Am sending the older two to put away dishes and have the other side soaking in vinegar water
clean sheets on the bed, mopped floor and tub soaking in cleaning stuff
other things still need doing but maybe later or tomorrow -as long as I have my timer!!
#19 of 103 Old 05-31-2004, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Can I jump in too? I have 4 kids too and suddenly I cannot handle anything anymore. My house has never been this out of control and it creates more chaos and takes so much time. I spent hours looking for some footie/shoe thingys to put on the baby, I am late so often b/c I can't find what I need. We never have clean clothes and I must have at least 12 loads sitting all over my basement floor!
OKAY!! You are my twin Earthmama!!! :LOL I also have 4 kids, and lately, I've had the same feelings. But with flylady, I get overwhelmed with the emails, and the website. I too am going to try agian.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#20 of 103 Old 05-31-2004, 01:28 PM

I started flylady a few months ago but got sidetracked by bed bugs and now I'm just concentrating on what was 40 bags of laundry (every fabric item needed to be done, stuffed toys, blankets, etc...). Before that I really liked the de-cluttering. It's really freeing my mind. In the midst of this home disaster I was able to re-arrange my room yesterday and fling a bunch of stuff. My dressers are claen of clutter and I have candles out for atmosphere, turning my bedroom into a retreat. That was so worth it! I don't follow all the e-mails to I tee but I have supper dishes done at the end on the day more often and I am now able to keep up with my regular laundry. I'm a major procrastinator and flylady is helping me with that. I now have a morning routine again as well. After all these bags of laundry are done I can't wait to start reading my reminders and assignments again.

Melissa
#21 of 103 Old 06-01-2004, 09:39 AM

The FlyLady does seem to be helping me. I've at least got a list started and I'm working on my laundry. I'm still in my pjs but I've got flip-flops on and I'm counting those as shoes! I'm going to go get off the email and start organizing! I really like the 15min declutter. It seems so manageable!!
Melissa-
Your bedroom sounds like such a relaxing haven! That's wonderful! You should see mine right now--clothes everywhere, paint cans from a few months ago when I thought I'd actually find the time to paint the room, clutter, clutter, clutter. I could use some of your energy to get it cleaned up!
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#22 of 103 Old 06-01-2004, 03:08 PM

Chrissy - you make me laugh! If you would only see the rest of my house! I think the bedroom was a fluke. I rearranged it because my 10 mo dd seems to be sleeping better in her own bed lately so we moved the crib away from the bed (just a few feet away). Usually when I need to rearrange I feel I might as well do a good cleaning too. And I definately don't have the energy you think I do (just happened to that day). Anyway, thanks for your encouragement. I know you can do it too. I read the testemonial about the woman who went on a reatreat. She went into specific detail about the decor and fabrics, linens and delicious meals, the kind of dinnerware that was used, fresh cut flowers in the rooms - turns out she was talking about her own home! That's what I'm going for!

Melissa
#23 of 103 Old 06-01-2004, 03:54 PM

I find flylady helpful, but the e-mails are too much. Flylady stuff I do:

1. Take a break every 45 mins. I try to have some water on each break.
2. Bedtime routine- I brush my teeth and lay out clothes.
3.Morning routine-so far, I'm getting dressed and making my bed.
4. Keeping the sink nice. I've taught the kids how to wash dishes and now everyone washes, dries and immediately puts away their dishes after use. DH and I share washing the cooking dishes. Now, within 5 minutes of the end of a meal, PRESTO it's like it never happened! We have a dishwasher, but this method works so much better for us.
As well as flylady, we've incorperated some Montessori environment stuff into our home, so we are all maintaining the house better now.
#24 of 103 Old 06-01-2004, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

i'm slacking....
#25 of 103 Old 06-01-2004, 06:52 PM

I just signed up for FlyLady about a month or so ago. I felt like everything was getting so out of control. I'm so in awe of those of you that have 4 children. I'm feeling so overwhelmed with one.

We just moved into a new house this past December & I felt like it was already in CHAOS (for those of you that haven't gone to the website yet it's Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome)

I tend to analyze things so I went through the website, read the emails, got the books out the library & slowly started to incorporate each of the steps.

I think keeping the sink shiny is important to the philosophy just in that in gives you some peace of mind that one thing in your home is nice & clean. I have to say having the kitchen clean is hugely important to me now that I've done it for a month. It is such a wonderful, relaxing feeling to come down to the kitchen in the morning & start the day fresh - not cleaning up yesterday's messes.

The emails can get annoying but I just delete them & I'll use them when I'm ready.

There are two main things about flylady that make me want to do this...
1. The reason things are like this for me is due to my perfectionism. I always thought they were related but couldn't pin it down. I tend to hyper-focus, get involved in 5000 different things, and don't want to do things if I can't do it perfectly, from scratch, the first time. I also don't have to do everything perfect - it's better to vacuum down the middles of the rooms & get most of the stuff up instead of letting it sit until I have enought time to do it right - pull the furniture away from the walls, do the baseboards, etc.

2. The second thing is she says you're not behind, just jump in where you are. I hate feeling like I always need to catch up. With this I've given myself permission to not have that guilt.

Wow - I just wanted to introduce myself. I didn't mean for it to be this long.

Gwen
mama to Hannah 5.9.02
#26 of 103 Old 06-01-2004, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

hi gwen! and welcome to mdc too

good to see the posts from people who have been doing this.

i think i'm going to sign up for the emails. i could use the help...
#27 of 103 Old 06-02-2004, 11:36 PM

I strayed from my list -by three items and I only put two back on the super fling cart boogie
I didn't make a menu before I went -dh wanted me to go today because of the impending ( now here storms)
*sigh*
But the last time I shopped I put MORE than 27 items back Maybe that balances out???? LOL

I did the hot spots and the kitchen stove is clean. I can't do the counter at the moment because I have a katydid that ran under the microwave and its such a baby I don't want to hurt it. DH will be home shortly and mess up his dinner dishes but after that...

And I shined the bathroom sink

so some progress...
#28 of 103 Old 06-02-2004, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralChrissy
The FlyLady does seem to be helping me. I've at least got a list started and I'm working on my laundry. I'm still in my pjs but I've got flip-flops on and I'm counting those as shoes!

HA HA very funny.
#29 of 103 Old 06-02-2004, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywine
Keeping the sink nice. I've taught the kids how to wash dishes and now everyone washes, dries and immediately puts away their dishes after use. DH and I share washing the cooking dishes. Now, within 5 minutes of the end of a meal, PRESTO it's like it never happened! We have a dishwasher, but this method works so much better for us.
As well as flylady, we've incorperated some Montessori environment stuff into our home, so we are all maintaining the house better now.

This is working better for me too, better than using the dishwasher. We've only been doing this three days.
#30 of 103 Old 06-03-2004, 10:25 AM

I did the super fling yesterday! I got rid of 27 items of trash and 27 items for goodwill. It was surprisingly easy, which just goes to show how much junk we have around here! I think it helps me to stay organized if I use FLYLADY.My kitchen sink is a mess this morning, but otherwise, I'm no track.
Good luck ladies!
Chrissy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page