Okay to sell/donate kids' stuff? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Okay to sell/donate kids' stuff?

My kids are gifted quite a lot of clothes and toys from well-meaning relatives, friends, and family. I use what we can and put the rest away. My daughter has gotten quite a lot of Frozen and Hello Kitty toys, books, clothes over birthdays and Christmas that she's forgotten about. I would like to sell the new/gently used ones and give the used ones away. I personally dislike having these types of toys around. What would you do? At what point do you include your kids in decluttering their toys?

single mama to DD1 (June 2011) and DD2 (Dec 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Your 1 year old- personally, I wouldn't have any problem decluttering his toys. Aside from a lovey or a few beloved toys, you could probably get rid of just about every one of his toys without him really caring.

The 4 year old is old enough to remember, so I would be a bit more cautious. Some people like to get the kids involved in donating- so that's an option. If she definitely doesn't have any strong emotional attachments to it, it's probable she wouldn't remember she ever got it so it shouldn't be a big deal. You know your kid best, though, some kids are more likely to get upset than others.

Honestly, I kind of wish someone would go through my stuff from my childhood and just get rid of it. My dad is a pack rat and saved freaking EVERYTHING and I got my pack rat tendencies from him- so I've been finding stuff that, had someone just gotten rid of it, i honestly never would have cared. But the second I see it, I have to convince myself to get rid of it! @_@

Two proud daddies and our little monster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#3 of 12 Old 10-27-2015, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would let the kids know openly that you'll be donating items so that they come to expect it. Oh, it's January! That's when we take some of our Christmas presents to give to some other kids who will love them!

#4 of 12 Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree, you should definitely get the children involved in the process and let them know what is happening to their old possessions. As for their reaction, for certain things I'm sure that they wouldn't mind, and I seriously doubt the youngest would even notice!
#5 of 12 Old 05-22-2016, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I get my son involved. We will go through his things and I suggest some items. I'll say something like "You haven't played with this in a long time. Would you like to sell/donate this so another child can enjoy it?" And we go from there. If he tries to convince me he still plays with it I will say something along the lines of "Okay, but if I do not see you playing with this in _____ time, then we will donate/sell that. Does that sound fair?" And go from there.

married to the love of my life

Momma to: L(09/06)
, J (09/05)
, T (11/10)
and three furbabies

TTC our next bundle of love

#6 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 10:59 PM

yes clutter will enslave you. you will never miss it.
#7 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
Your 1 year old- personally, I wouldn't have any problem decluttering his toys. Aside from a lovey or a few beloved toys, you could probably get rid of just about every one of his toys without him really caring.

The 4 year old is old enough to remember, so I would be a bit more cautious. Some people like to get the kids involved in donating- so that's an option. If she definitely doesn't have any strong emotional attachments to it, it's probable she wouldn't remember she ever got it so it shouldn't be a big deal. You know your kid best, though, some kids are more likely to get upset than others.

Honestly, I kind of wish someone would go through my stuff from my childhood and just get rid of it. My dad is a pack rat and saved freaking EVERYTHING and I got my pack rat tendencies from him- so I've been finding stuff that, had someone just gotten rid of it, i honestly never would have cared. But the second I see it, I have to convince myself to get rid of it! @_@
the older the get the greedier they get lol
#8 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeslynn View Post
I get my son involved. We will go through his things and I suggest some items. I'll say something like "You haven't played with this in a long time. Would you like to sell/donate this so another child can enjoy it?" And we go from there. If he tries to convince me he still plays with it I will say something along the lines of "Okay, but if I do not see you playing with this in _____ time, then we will donate/sell that. Does that sound fair?" And go from there.
great suggestion.
#9 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathalieM View Post
I agree, you should definitely get the children involved in the process and let them know what is happening to their old possessions. As for their reaction, for certain things I'm sure that they wouldn't mind, and I seriously doubt the youngest would even notice!
Get the involved like they are big hard workers, they love that!
#10 of 12 Old 03-26-2017, 03:12 PM

I can't stand clutter but my oldest DD can't get rid of anything. I have tried to get her involved in the process but she struggles every time. So I try to have her help initially but I end up sending her out so I can actually go through things. Hopefully it will get easier with time because the child is going to need a large storage unit for all her stuff if she doesn't learn this.
#11 of 12 Old 03-29-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nostalgia is always an issue
#12 of 12 Old 03-29-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Although it is nice to purge

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version