Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I broke her cheapy one...
#32 of 48 Old 08-01-2004, 01:11 AM

alright ladies tomorrow I re-start my routines. I've been slacking off and putting off getting back into it. Im easing in tomorrow and then full on monday. The kids are in camp all week, so I would LIKE to get a whole layer down and box some stuff for the attic. im sure ill be checking in alot - like when im avoiding the work (bluwsh)
#33 of 48 Old 08-01-2004, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't do my sink last night I assigned it to DD ( big mistake but I was tired and sore) but I did get the rest of my kitchen routine done..
Tomorrow is the big weekly thing ..
#34 of 48 Old 08-01-2004, 09:12 AM

here we go!! off to take the dog for a walk.
this is my 100th post !! yeah!
Im GOING to do it today damnit!!!
#35 of 48 Old 08-01-2004, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

This is usually my "house blessing" day but having a REALLLLY bad day
Just brushing my hair out took a lot of energy..
So I get to come home from the dr tomorrow and do what should have been done today bleah
I did throw some trash away that dh left in the bedroom, one time when I got up I cleaned off the computer desk and one other hotspot
I also cleaned flower petals off the kitchen table
so at least I feel I got *something* done
Right now even setting the timer for five minutes is too long
There is tomorrow!
#36 of 48 Old 08-01-2004, 10:27 PM

I've been using the spirit of Fly Lady rather than her actual routines. I find that I often just scan the room that I'm in and get things organized as I can. I also try and straighten up the first floor every night before I go to bed so I can start the day fresh. I've been cleaning out a little bit, very slowly. I just try to do one little thing at a time. I've gotten rid of some stuff that I've been holding onto forever. So, FlyLady works for me as long as I modify it to fit my life!
Good luck to everyone

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#37 of 48 Old 08-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Dar

I'm also taking what works from flylady and leaving the rest... the basic premise seems to be to get in the habit of doing some things daily, so I've been doing the dishes every evening and making beds every morning. I'm also trying to declutter for at least 15 minutes in the assigned zone, although I only manage to do it about every other day. And finally, I try to take 15 minutes a day to just pick up and do some sort of basic cleaning stuff.

I really can see a difference

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#38 of 48 Old 08-03-2004, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Dar]I'm also taking what works from flylady and leaving the rest... the basic premise seems to be to get in the habit of doing some things daily, so I've been doing the dishes every evening and making beds every morning. I'm also trying to declutter for at least 15 minutes in the assigned zone, although I only manage to do it about every other day. And finally, I try to take 15 minutes a day to just pick up and do some sort of basic cleaning stuff.

I really can see a difference

Dar[/QUOTE

Dar I really like that routine - its handlable (thats not a word)
Im stealing it from you, or rather sharing it with you, OK?
#39 of 48 Old 08-09-2004, 02:50 PM

Hello Ladies,

I am a recent convert to the flylady way of life. Been doing my routines for a little over a week and its going great. So far I just do a morning routine, a bedtime routine, and the missions in my zone. That alone has made a huge difference.

I have not figured out the weekly home blessing. Is that something that comes with doing the control journal? I've been resistant to make that step. It seems like a huge step, not a baby step! Is it time for me to venture into the journal?

Glad to find you ladies! I just looove to feel organized. Makes me sooooooooo happy
#40 of 48 Old 08-09-2004, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

have been gone from 9-7 and trying to catch up from this weekend. About to go clean my room shortly so bf and I can watch a dvd.
#41 of 48 Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 AM

I struggle with setting routines, but one persistent problem is that life changes so quickly with small children that nothing is routine for very long.

The baby's nap times change, my pre-schooler's activities change with the season (play camp just ended, soccer just started, we have a few weeks until school starts)... And then the weeks BETWEEN scheduled activities are filled up with "special" activities that lack the routine structure.

I was in a pretty good summer routine, but since playcamp ended last week (M/W/F for 3 hours) we now have a month of non-routine weeks ahead of us and I wonder how I will survive. Creating structure for myself is SO HARD - I guess I prefer a bit of imposed structure.

This week (week 1) we are doing field trips and visiting friends. Next week (week 2) we prepare for my 5 year old's birthday and vacation. Then (week 3) a week of out-of-town vacation. And then (week 4), recover from vacation, prepare for kindergarten to begin (only half day kindergarten - thank goodness) and then AFTER Sept 7th I can imagine myself getting back into some semblance of a routine. Until then I guess I'll try to do the basic stuff and be gentle with myself.

Anybody else have ideas for managing the time BETWEEN structured schedules? (Maybe I'll start a new thread!)

Kathleen
#42 of 48 Old 08-10-2004, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Just take your timer and work small things in between the schedules so when you return you aren't overwhelmed... Just my .o2

I did my five min rr this morning and will do the 15 mins in zone a bit later. Still pretty wiped out from yesterday. The kids are sleeping in reaally late so I have some time to finish up and get lessons ready... after my ME time here..
#43 of 48 Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 AM

I just can't seem to do it all....

I swear a whole year has gone by and yet no change.

I saw FlyLady 3 years ago - then promptly got a job and didn't do it. DH is great aroudn the house, and not being home really helped keep it clean! We are big Sat. morning massive cleaning day people.

Been at home since last June - haven't gotten into my routine. It's always "After the move" "During the summer" "when school starts again...." I have a ton of start days, and no real progress. My house isn't THAT bad (mostly because of Dh and those Satrudays) but I just make myself feel bad for not doing better. DH starts school, and maybe even a new job so I really need to be the person responsible for keeping things up.

Anyway... I'm not part of your thread - just saw the FlyBaby reference and could relate!!!

I can do this, I need to find that inner spirit of motivation that is there... somewhere!
#44 of 48 Old 08-11-2004, 02:34 PM

It's hard sometimes. I just keep trying. There are weeks when I'm really FLYING high and other when it looks like a cyclone hit my home. I just jump back into the routines and get going again.

Good luck to yoU!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#45 of 48 Old 08-11-2004, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

You are part of our thread now
Pull up a cup o' tea and stay awhile
#46 of 48 Old 08-13-2004, 01:39 AM

I love flylady. I've been doing it (off and on ) for over a year.

My favorite thing is the 5 minute rescue. I have cleaned out closets, drawers, my laundry room, etc. 5 minutes at a time.

I'm one of those people who loves to check things off my list, so I love putting 5MR in my organizer and then getting to check something off after 5 minutes. And those minutes really do add up. The trick, I've found, is that 5MR really doesn't work in living areas where family members leave stuff as soon as you can pick it up. It works better for more remote areas..like cabinets, closets, etc. But, when I open my bathroom cabinet for instance, I love how decluttered it is. It's a great feeling!

For the living areas, I find Flylady's Crisis Cleaning to be helpful. I didn't think I would, because before, I wanted to completely finish one room before starting another. But I have found that doing 15 minute speed cleanings in each zone/room and then moving to another really breaks up the monotony.

Once my house was relatively clean and decluttered, I really loved Flylady because I find what her system does best is helps me to maintain what I've accomplished by keeping it clean (hot spots, routines, missions, etc.).

But...alas...now I've become a fallen flybaby and here's why:

:

I am five weeks from delivering my first child and it seems with every passing day I fall further and further away from organization and peace of mind, as far as my home goes. I haven't looked at my (homemade) control binder in a month, haven't been doing my routines, and haven't done my weekly house bledding for 2 weeks. Now the dust is starting to show, my carpets long for a vacuum, and I just fall deeper and deeper into sloth. And now I'm in a downward spiral...I feel quilty that I've let things slide, so I get depressed and without energy, so I don't do anything to fix it, so I feel even more guilty. It goes on and on and on... :

I know that if I would just get out my binder and start checking things off, I'd feel better...but I haven't done it yet!!
#47 of 48 Old 08-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Put your feet up, mama, as much as possible. I know it's hard but you need your rest! I wouldn't be cleaning if I was that close to my due date, I can assure you
Please be gentle with yourself

On a different note, I'm finding that even just spending 5 minutes in each room, speed cleaning, works really well for me. You can get a lot done in just a few minutes. I may not have time for much, but I can find 5 minutes here and there.

Good luck everyone!

#48 of 48 Old 08-13-2004, 07:30 PM

Thanks, Chrissy! I feel better.

I am going to do 5 minutes right now...just file some papers from my "To File" folder until dh gets home...any minute. Every baby step counts, and they do add up!

Good luck, flybabies. Today is Friday...the day for romance if you follow Flylady's weekly plan. I'm going to give dh a dig hug and kiss when he gets home. Haven't greeted him like that in a while!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page