I am a baad flybaby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 07-22-2004, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't dressed -I just got up having slept late. We took bf out last night for his birthday so I didn't do my evening routines.
The pest guy comes I had to find a shift fast. ANd he was talking about how busy he and his wife are and I am telling them about flylady while 1) my computer desk is a mess 2) there are dishes that dd washed in one side and dishes dh messed up this morning on the other side....
Oh boy I am sure I convinced him NOT
I explained to him I had not done my routines last night or this morning-he has seen the house before in its routine no spots anywhere condition....

I gave him the website anyway

I should be making the bed/tea getting a shower and doing my over late routines ..but I am sore and tired.....

on a more positive note...my duster/calendar and timer came yesterday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 07-22-2004, 10:45 PM

I so want to stick with my routines, but the problem is that they aren't really routine yet. I do get the kitchen clean each night (feels so much better to go to sleep with the thrum of the dishwasher and to see those clean counter tops...:-).

I still can't get the shoes...:-(

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#3 of 48 Old 07-24-2004, 05:03 AM

Ha! Wouldn't you know I was just coming to this forum to start searching for the Flylady thread and I was coming for advice from the role model "flybabies" and had you in particular in mind! :LOL Pretty funny that I found this.

Can this be the new Flylady thread? I wanted to discuss routines and also brag about how I'm finally getting my house in order (although it still has a long way to go).
#4 of 48 Old 07-25-2004, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

I just have to ask why me LOL there are much better flybabies around

These past two days have not been good flylady wise. In fact I should be done with my house blessing by now but last night had to take phenagran so was out really late this afternoon. And started feeling like carp again after a couple of hours.
I have been trying to do five minute room rescues though.
My bf is here so it motivates me to try and do better even feeling bad since he is a bigger neat freak than me.

SO since you would like to talk routines I say take it away and lets go from there...
Do you want to know mine ??
And I think it is fine for this to be the new flylady thread.. drag everyone over hee hee

OT MamaAllNatural how is your foot healing?
#5 of 48 Old 07-25-2004, 09:05 PM

I just wrote up a response and with one naking baby's flying fist the whole thing got erased.

OK...to try again. I remember on the other thread you were doing all of your "blessings" and routines and such. I am so, so, so, so (I could go on ) far from that. :

OK, here are my problems (Be prepared & please don't think less of me : ):

*As far as house cleaning goes and am really resisting the routines and I can't figure out why. I hate the idea of HAVING to do something every day, day after day, after day, after day.

*Mild OCDs run in my family. I find that when I do clean everything perfectly I become obsessive about cleaning, I start noticing every little thing, it stresses me out (bad) and nothing ever seems clean enough Very embarassing to admit but true. :

*I don't like the way the flylady does anything (See I'm really, really bad at this ). I followed her exact directions WRT shining your sink. It did nothing for me. Did not look special to me. Did not motivate me. Nada. The way you're supposed to do this 15 min. cleanings and then look around the house and see "how much you got done." Focusing on the house like that just makes me notice more how much still needs to be done. (I know, the glass is half empty )

*I can't even bring myself to say "blessing." Is this a word that all of you fly babies have begun to use in dialog w/non flylady people? Was it awkward for you to get used to saying it? Did it really help to start saying it?

Ok, there is more but I'll just start with that (embarassing enough already ).

Did anyone else have any of these problems to begin with and found a way to make the flylady stuff work for you?

FTR I started flylady about 4 months ago. A couple of weeks after, just when I was starting to get my house together my foot broke and I was disabled w/a cast for a long time. So, over the past month or two I've been trying to get on top of things and trying to get more into flylady.

I also think more than the emails will help this will. Being able to hear how you more advanced flyladies dealt w/something, made a routine work, hear what you got done etc. will be a motivation for me. It'll also be a motivation for me if I can come here and say "Hey, guess what I FINALLY got my computer desk, entertainment center, kitchen and dining room SPOTLESS!!!" (I did)

Yes, Cerridwen (or should I call you Lorelei?), I would love to hear your routines.
#6 of 48 Old 07-25-2004, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

OK, here are my problems (Be prepared & please don't think less of me ):

I would never think less of anyone over flylady ( also check out organizedhome.com I mix some of that with what works for me from flylady)
Remember too that you don't have to do flyladys entire routine

*As far as house cleaning goes and am really resisting the routines and I can't figure out why. I hate the idea of HAVING to do something every day, day after day, after day, after day.

Not sure what I can offer to help with this one. If you hate the idea of doing it everday it just makes you hate it more I think?

*Mild OCDs run in my family. I find that when I do clean everything perfectly I become obsessive about cleaning, I start noticing every little thing, it stresses me out (bad) and nothing ever seems clean enough Very embarassing to admit but true.

Do you take anything or do therapy for the OCD? I have been told I may have a touch of it myself ( the towels MUST be folded a certain way etc)
You have to find a way for yourself to instead of "this still needs to be done" say "look i got x and y done:
It might help you to start a positive/negative journal. On one side you list the positives for that day and the other the negatives. Seeing it in print actually helps me..

*I don't like the way the flylady does anything (See I'm really, really bad at this ). I followed her exact directions WRT shining your sink. It did nothing for me. Did not look special to me. Did not motivate me. Nada. The way you're supposed to do this 15 min. cleanings and then look around the house and see "how much you got done." Focusing on the house like that just makes me notice more how much still needs to be done. (I know, the glass is half empty )

I often don't do more than wipe the sink down after the dishes. I do the once a week thing from OH for the shine part

*I can't even bring myself to say "blessing." Is this a word that all of you fly babies have begun to use in dialog w/non flylady people? Was it awkward for you to get used to saying it? Did it really help to start saying it?

I am an eclectic Pagan Christian blend and yes I call it the house blessing on Sunday's. Yes it was awkward to call it that at first now it is routine

Ok, there is more but I'll just start with that (embarassing enough already ).

Did anyone else have any of these problems to begin with and found a way to make the flylady stuff work for you?

By taking what works for me and ditching the rest.

FTR I started flylady about 4 months ago. A couple of weeks after, just when I was starting to get my house together my foot broke and I was disabled w/a cast for a long time. So, over the past month or two I've been trying to get on top of things and trying to get more into flylady.

Take it slow and find what works for you

I also think more than the emails will help this will. Being able to hear how you more advanced flyladies dealt w/something, made a routine work, hear what you got done etc. will be a motivation for me. It'll also be a motivation for me if I can come here and say "Hey, guess what I FINALLY got my computer desk, entertainment center, kitchen and dining room SPOTLESS!!!" (I did)

By all means do that come post HEY I CAN SEE THE DESK!!
Yes, Cerridwen (or should I call you Lorelei?), I would love to hear your routines.

On Sundays when I am not down like today
I dust the doorjambs, ceiling fans, kitchen cabinet and hallway fixtures/pictures
I or ds move the furniture and I vac the entire lr ( not too big its like 10x12)
We check the recliners for 'stuff" and vac inside the cushions and vac the outside to remove the dog hair
I use the dust brush to vac the air conditioner coils and filter
I remove the textbooks/keyboards etc and dust the desks and phone table

I clean the kitchen table/stove/wipe down the fridge and sweep the floor
I do the bathroom

I vac/dust my br
I clean my dresser esp where I have my altar ( dh keeps putting stuff on it)
If I haven't already I change the sheets

For evening routines during the week
I put away any dishes that are dry (no dishwasher here other than DD)
I clean off the hot spots which are usually the school and computer desk and phone table

For the morning if the above didn't get done I do that and anything dh used in the morning in the kitchen cleaned up and stuff for school set out

And I do the zone missions throughout the week
though sometimes I do not have to as they already were done with the house blessing

I also try to keep my nightstand neater than it is at the moment.

I use handi wipes and citrus magic or 7th gen on the desks dusting

HTH some..

I also have "tea time" in the morning with my youngest. I have a preprogrammable coffee pot that we set the night before...it helps start a good day often

I also do what I have TRIED to teach my kids 'clean it as you go"
in other words I clean the stove while I am cooking if I spill anything on it
and start a load of dishes while cooking or right after dinner
I put things away just as soon as I am done as much as I can
this helps cut down a lot of work

I have found that the :if the kitchen is clean the rest of the house will be too"
it sounds nuts and I used to scoff myself but have found it to be true.

I am really down today so not sure what if anything will get done but going to go try to set my timer and do some dusting in the LR
#7 of 48 Old 07-25-2004, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

I varied from my routine because rain is coming and our plumbing problem is not fixed yet
So I set the timer for 15 mins. I dusted all things but the desks with the flylady dusters in the LR. I moved two chairs and vac'd them and those areas under and around the carpet.
While doing that I programmed and set up the coffeepot and filled two pitchers with drinking water, wiped one corner of the table and dumped dishwater outside.
I also vac'd the insides of the recliner and cleared off the phone table.

And now I am sitting here with the timer set for a 20 min break. I need the extra time when I am down
Not sure why but your post motivated ME LOL! Thanks I needed that!
#8 of 48 Old 07-25-2004, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

about the clean counters/clean kitchen thing
#9 of 48 Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 AM

Thanks so much for your thorough reply to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerridwenLorelei
Do you take anything or do therapy for the OCD? I have been told I may have a touch of it myself ( the towels MUST be folded a certain way etc)
You have to find a way for yourself to instead of "this still needs to be done" say "look i got x and y done:
I don't think I have it enough to actually get diagnosed with it myself. This is kind of a self diagnosis. Def. not something anyone would give me meds for (not that I'd want them anyway :LOL) I guess this part is just going to take a huge attitude adjustment? I will try to focus more on what I did get done. I guess that's my problem. I ALWAYS see the 'big picture.'

Quote:
By taking what works for me and ditching the rest.

By all means do that come post HEY I CAN SEE THE DESK!!
OK! :LOL

Quote:
I also do what I have TRIED to teach my kids 'clean it as you go" in other words I clean the stove while I am cooking if I spill anything on it and start a load of dishes while cooking or right after dinner I put things away just as soon as I am done as much as I can this helps cut down a lot of work
Now this I have definatley mastered and my kitchen looks great, however...

Quote:
I have found that the if the kitchen is clean the rest of the house will be too"
...for some reason this has never been true. My kitchen remains spotless and I cannot seem to get the rest of my house clean.

Quote:
I am really down today so not sure what if anything will get done but going to go try to set my timer and do some dusting in the LR
Sorry you're having a bad day.
#10 of 48 Old 07-26-2004, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Not sure why but your post motivated ME LOL! Thanks I needed that!
Mine?! Oh good!
#11 of 48 Old 07-26-2004, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefully next week the rheumy will have something to keep me from being down too much along with the gut gal.
But thanks to feeling good to have helped you the living room is totally done!
I did set the breaktimes for 20/25 minutes

I did the stove and cabinets/kitchen fan
Will be going shortly to clean the table and sweep. And get dd to do her dishes so I can do the sink while the britcoms are on
I changed the br trash and wiped the br sink

I hope I get to vac the bedroom later ...
#12 of 48 Old 07-26-2004, 12:36 AM

Now WRT the timer I do have a very hard time stopping when I'm on a roll. It is SO hard to get anything done with these three little ones clinging to me and fighting and making a huge mess behind me. Once I'm on a roll I feel like I better keep going as long as I can, kwim?

Also I recall that you homeschool. We do too. How does that work into the flylady stuff w/your family? I find homeschoolers are more resistant to routines and schedules. So I'd love to here some tips from everyone who homeschools.

Sounds like you're getting a lot done! I'm jealous. My whole downstairs is 95% perfect, but my entire upstairs is : It's really, really scary.
#13 of 48 Old 07-26-2004, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

HS connection
Back when we started I told them that everyone had to pitch in now because we were all home..then of course I got sicker and sicker and some things they really need to help with ( like dd learning to not be such a slob I love her but her and dh ,,,,)
And while I may getting things done I will pay for some of it tomorrow or later tonight but that is ok
because if the house is a mess I am more cantankerous and feel worse

I know some hs that use flylady and make a mini schedule of sorts
I just started trying to use one myself
some days it works other days it flies out the window..

And my house is smaller than yours too *G* 950 sq ft total.,....
We need to find MOM4tot she hs too and uses flylady I think ,,,
Maybe you could post an invite to this thread on the homeschool board for those who hs and do flylady ,,
#14 of 48 Old 07-26-2004, 01:33 AM

Quote:
And my house is smaller than yours too *G* 950 sq ft total.,..
Yep, it sure is! Mine is 970 sq ft. :LOL I find that it's actually harder to keep up a smaller house. Do you find this too?

Quote:
We need to find MOM4tot
Yes we do! I that gal!

Quote:
Maybe you could post an invite to this thread on the homeschool board for those who hs and do flylady ,,
That's a good idea. Shall I or would you like to?
#15 of 48 Old 07-26-2004, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

I am chatting with best friend as he leaves tomorrow
#16 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

a repeat event?
it seems like when I started it was once a month now it seems like once a twice a week?
or is it just the way I get the reminders??
#17 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 02:09 PM

i'm here...

uh, i have a nightgown on & socks- it's a step above barefoot & naked, lol!

slacker! suse (hey, but my hair is fixed <g>)

ps hey, but my sink is *spotless*.
#18 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I did have my lace up shoes on earlier when I fed the dogs and closed van windows..

ONE side of my sink is shiny. Having plumbing problems makes it difficult sometimes and the crockpot and dishes dd missed last night are soaking...other than that and a mega block castle/mess in the living room ( construction still occurring) anyone can walk in and I won't panic or meltdown LOL
#19 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 04:52 PM

I just came over here from the homeschooling board. I have been fluttering around for the last three years. I am definitely not flying yet, but my house and family would be in a lot more chaos if I hadn't had found flylady. I have got to be the least organized person by nature. I am also a bad procrastinator. My routines have changed some over the years, and sometimes I do the zone work, sometimes I don't - But my morning and evening routines, and weekly home blessings have really made a difference.

Last year my appendix ruptured and I almost didn't make it. I had no energy for months afterward. Needless to say, flylady flew out the window. lol I remember when I finally felt good enough to go back to my routines and the house got back in order. My husband came home one day, looked around the house and said "Woohoo! Flylady's back!" lol

My dd will be 4 in October and my ds is 2.5. He has developmental delays and so I need to work/teach/PLAY with him everyday. My dd loves to do workbook pages and crafts. She thrives with a schedule and routine. Our schedule is loose and flexible though. Keeping up with my flylady routines actually gives me more time to spend teaching and playing with my kids. If it wasn't for flylady my library books would ALWAYS be late.
#20 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 05:24 PM

I'm here, I'm here!!

The post on the hs forum got me, Cerri! I hadn't gotten any emails regarding the old flylady thread, so I figured, if no one else is cleaning, why should I??

I have been working in specific places...and will first tell you what I have accomplished: dd's room looked like something out of a tornado wreckage film. The real problem is, she has too many things...collections of things. She also has a small closet, so that doesn't offer a ton of "put away" space. Anyway, we took everything out of her room...all of the toys, books, containers. Like the show, "Clean Sweep".

We sorted, bagged, threw away and purchased a few helpful containers (ie. HANGING stuffed animal container from Ikea). We took out the rug because it is chenille and attracted the cat hair like a magnet. We only put back in the room that which she *really* wanted and was using. I have some pretty pink tie-dyed silk for the windows.

It is much easier for me to clean this way. I need to take it out, sort through it and then "redo" the room. I think that is why I struggle with flylady, because she asks for us to make small, regular routines. I do clean as I go...I remind the rest of my family to do the same.

MamaAllNatural, I can relate to the perfectionist thing. When I clean the floor, if I see that the baseboards are dirty, it can turn me into Joan Crawford in seconds..." I SAID NO WIRE HANGERS!!!" :

But, I know I am the chosen one for those chores, ya know? Ron doesn't see it, he just doesn't. I like the house clean, that is even more important to me than messy. My mom was not a flylady, and the house was constantly an issue. So, it was always important to me to have clean floors, rooms kept up.

I see a homeschool connection in that the kids are always here, and the school stuff needs to be organized as well. That is a huge task for me, as we "school" in the dining room and basically all over the house. I sometimes feel guilty when I am cleaning instead of playing, but I don't see an alternative. I certainly don't clean all day, but I do laundry, dishes, wiping up, putting away and vacumming every day.

Thanks for finding me

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#21 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

:
#22 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
I'm here, I'm here!!It is much easier for me to clean this way. I need to take it out, sort through it and then "redo" the room. I think that is why I struggle with flylady, because she asks for us to make small, regular routines. I do clean as I go...I remind the rest of my family to do the same.
------------------------------------------------------
I see a homeschool connection in that the kids are always here, and the school stuff needs to be organized as well. That is a huge task for me, as we "school" in the dining room and basically all over the house. I sometimes feel guilty when I am cleaning instead of playing, but I don't see an alternative. I certainly don't clean all day, but I do laundry, dishes, wiping up, putting away and vacumming every day.

Thanks for finding me

both of these things are true for me..

ive been trying to get back into my routine, but Im just un motivated and cant get in a groove.
#23 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

to put away textbooks knowing we just have to get them right back out tomorrow.....
#24 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I hadn't gotten any emails regarding the old flylady thread, so I figured, if no one else is cleaning, why should I??
:LOL Glad you found us!

Quote:
MamaAllNatural, I can relate to the perfectionist thing. When I clean the floor, if I see that the baseboards are dirty, it can turn me into Joan Crawford in seconds..." I SAID NO WIRE HANGERS!!!"

Well, I haven't been around as much lately because my sister is getting married this weekend and tons of family is coming from out of town! : I just had some of them over today. I actually, really used the timer for the first time (can you tell I was desperate? ).

I am here to tell you that, while I did have to leave my bedroom and the upstairs bathroom doors shut (tight!) the rest of my house was very presentable. In fact, it looked really good - that's just the perfectionist in me speaking. Whew, I'm glad I got it done in time. Hopefully I can keep it up while I try to clean my bedroom (very scary in there ), the upstairs bathroom (not too bad but the kids have been "playing" in there whenever they get a chance ) and finish organizing the kid's room. This is how I feel that I got as much done as I did :

:LOL Thanks for being here ladies!
#25 of 48 Old 07-28-2004, 10:58 PM

:LOL

MamaAllNatural, that sounds great Sometimes, if I am cleaning for an occassion, I start sending the kids to different rooms, "Ok, now you can play in that bedroom..., ok, now that one", until we start all over again! I hope your visits go well

Cerri, I wish we had a seperate table for projects, but for now, we use the dining room, so we do have to clear it off regularly. I envy people with a seperate school place sometimes, atleast for the storage aspect. It keeps me weeding out and only having out what we really need.

#26 of 48 Old 07-30-2004, 04:13 PM

I really want flylady to work for me. I feel like I clean all day long. It doesnt help that ds will make a disaster area while Im cleaning another mess. I keep trying and then falling off the wagon. I think part of our problem in this house is we have way too many toys, so the kids just get them all out and never put them up. Ive tried to teach them to get out one thing at a time, but it hasnt sunk in yet. We are going to have a garage sale soon and get rid of some of this crap, so I think that will help
#27 of 48 Old 07-30-2004, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

routines that kids and dh didn't do last night
I have 28 mins to do that , cut melon and prepare the tea for my tea date!!

I think I found me a set for future tea ( ds #3 and I have tea every morning) http://www.littleangelsgalleries.com/newbutpatdem.html

I ordered two more timers better go find one and get hoppin!
#28 of 48 Old 07-30-2004, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

do almost everything in 10!! Now I have to sit here a minute and recover...
#29 of 48 Old 07-30-2004, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered one..
then three -one for dd one for ds and an extra for me

and I want a couple more and one for my mom !

My name is CerridwenLorelei and I am timer addicted..
#30 of 48 Old 07-30-2004, 08:19 PM

You are such a good mommy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page