Anybody feeling the overwhelming urge to simplify? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For about 2 weeks now I have been selling/giving away just about every diaper I haven't used recently (within the last 2 weeks or more). I have been dreaming about fluffy prefolds, stacinator so simple covers, bummis wraps, and plain (not fancy) wool soakers. I am about to hop on over to the TP and sell some of my FMBG AIO's, but I'm afraid I'm making a mistake. I just don't get excited about all the hyena hype anymore....my heart rate didn't even go up when I saw the KSS soaker at MDFA (although it was GORGEOUS). None of my diapers has ever let me down, I'm just tired of having so many "systems". Anybody else feeling this way? I have about 12 RB shell sets that I don't EVER use, and I really think I should let some of them go to good homes...why must I be so dang moody?????

Here's my (current) dream stash:

-lots and lots of preoflds: dyed, plain, indian, and chinese...makes no difference to me (although the indian pf's sure are yummy!)

-a few stacinator so simple covers

-a few each of Bummis whisper wraps and whisper pants

-wool soakers and pants (need more pants): I actually find myself day dreaming about aristocrats and other plain soakers

-6 Elbee Fitteds and 2 Wooly Bullies (already got these)

I really think I could be happy with JUST that. So how do I emotionally detatch myself from the adorable SOS diapers staring at me everytime I change dd? What about the RB's I got at her first ever RB posting?

-
#2 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:36 PM

Yup, I am with you. I had tried most all fitteds out there and sold them all about a month ago in favor or prefolds and wool. I added some AIO/Pockets for out and about, but that's it. I was worried that I would regret it, but I haven't. Now I am even considering selling off some of my most *prized* wool and saving just a few of my favorite pieces. Having too many choices actaully bothers me. .it makes it hard for me to love what I have. .I feel like I am 'cheating' on some of my less used covers.

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#3 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:42 PM

If only I had the problems you ladies have :LOL I am trying to get RID of most of my PFs, I have been successful in getting rid of my 20+ stash of ME OS as well! GIVE ME COLOUR AND GIVE ME SNAPS
#4 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:49 PM

Prefolds are a romantic notion and if that was all there was, I would use them. I just hate hate hate hate hate that soppy, wet, clammy prefold. During the day, maybe, since I would change every ten seconds. But overnight? no thank you.

dont even try to tell me about liners... still makes for a wet butt IMHO.

*prefold snob* Though I do think that prefolds are the best thing for a newborn. They poop/pee so often that they dont have a chance to get clammy.

Put away your fancy stuff or at least save the money you got from selling it off... then see what you think.
#5 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:52 PM

I am tired of my hyena stash too. I am going simple : prefolds and Cloud 9 Softies as the main part of my stash. I never thought I would see the day where I would be selling off my 75+ FLAG collection to use prefolds.But going simple is the only way to save my sanity at this point.I am still going to buy a few more AIOs for out and about and I am done.
#6 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:52 PM

I sort of did the same thing though with mostly hyena dipes. But I mean, I went with basically one system. All fitteds and wool covers/soakers/shorts/longies. We have Wonderoos for preschool but I dont use them at home.

I have been dying infant CPFs and a few premiums and really love how they are coming out. I dont even use CPFs! But figure they will be good for a newborn eventually.
#7 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:54 PM

I go thru periods of feeling like this. I don't have a lot of fancy stuff to begin with but there are days when I use only prefolds, and others where I use only fitteds. And in the middle I have some naked hemp fitteds that are nice enough on their own.

mum to a crew...
#8 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM

I feel this way and I don't even have a baby yet! :LOL

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#9 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:05 PM

My hyena dipes (FCB) are what work best, so while I am simplying (A LOT), I still use the more $$ dipes. Baby Bloomrs are another perfect fitting dipe right now along with Celestial Baby. I am done experimenting, though! I have my favorites and will only buy those from now on. As far as wool, I have REALLY thinned the stash lately and it makes me feel great. I don't regret selling any of it. I did love them, but I know the new owners love them as much.

(BTW, I am also loving Bummis right now, too!)
#10 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:07 PM

I like my prefolds because they stay nice. That simple. No fraying on the edges, no microfleece getting pilly and stinky, no aplix getting mystery things caught in it, no stains showing (I only use dyed prefolds right now), short drying time, no hemp fleece to get all hard and scratchy...I like my prefolds. I use them pretty much exclusively during the day, and at night I'm still using HH pockets with Joeys. I can't bring myself to use fitteds or prefolds at night for the icky, sloppy wet feeling, but I love them during the day.
#11 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:17 PM

*gulp* 75 FLAGs, Jamie??? You always make me feel so...so... 'in control' of my diaper spending. :LOL

I have been selling lots and lots all summer of things that I felt were just cluttering up my life with their lovely, fancy, ....complex diversity. I use fitteds and wool, with prefolds and flats as backup/camping/travel/just-feel-like-it-at-home thing. I have sold lots and lots of wool but then have aquired and continue to aquire lots of wool, but hey I don't lose money on it so it's just a harmless rotating hobby thing.

I think my stash at the moment is really reasonable finally--not TOO HUGE....but I have 40 more diapers coming with lots more wool so really I am aspiring to be Jamie one day.
#12 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:18 PM

I am with you Spicey Mama. I did not get the prefold love. I bought so many while I was pregnant because I heard all of the wonderful recommendations. They are not for me I am sad to say. I have kept them but they are not on my sons bum. I am on the verge of selling them all but I am afraid that one day I will wake up and want to simplify my stash. It hasnt happened yet. I love fitteds and wool.

Nancy
#13 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:23 PM

Oh yeah, I am all about simplifying right now! Although not to prefolds, I just can't go there. :LOL I'm trying to streamline my stash to Sugar Peas side snaps with soakers (mostly made by me), with Very Baby AIOs for under pants and for DH. Actually I think it's time to go through my basket again and list everything that's not being used!
#14 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:38 PM

I think my stash is so much easier now that I have simplified it. this is what I have

indian prefolds (2 1/2 dozen)
4 ME airflow covers
4 wool soakers
3 ME One size with snap ins for nighttime
#15 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:40 PM

My stash reached it's max complexity when I realized that it was taking me over 2 hours a week to match diapers and doublers and put the diapers away.

I really wanted to find a single sytem but I find that there isn't any one all occasion system that I'm happy with. They all seem to have their different strengths and weaknesses.
#16 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:45 PM

Simone's right about that--it would be hard to find a diaper that has *everything* goinig for it that a mama could possibly be interested in.

But I don't mind about the laundry duties and sorting the diaper laundry, etc.... it's my favorite chore, playing with my fluff! I even love handwashing/lanolizing wool--quality time with my woolies, ahhhhhhhh...
#17 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add the 4 fuzzi bunz that are on their way to me I'll use these for night and under pants. I also have some AIO's from www.babysoftwraps.com that I'll hang onto for the same purpose and daycare( ).

I have never understood why so many people have such a hard time with prefolds. I have never had a "blow-out" and although I have had a sopping wet prefold or two...I try to fold in a hemp doubler and put a micro liner on top for overnight. Its no different than stuffing a FB with a prefold IMO. Don't all diapers get wet if there's not enough absorbancy? I've been thinking about this A LOT lately :LOL
#18 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:53 PM

Yes, I have been wanting to simplify. I am working on it now. But no prefolds here. We need Elbees. They seem to be working the best right now. I just love having all the same type of diaper.

I keep thinking of more wool but I can just knit up what ever DD needs.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#19 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:56 PM

Yuck, soppy wet, clammy? My prefolds never get like this. I just took pictures over over 50 items to unload on the TP
(looks like I am not alone) :LOL
I have so much wool, I do not use it. I got a MM for Joh in April he has worn it twice.....thats it. Its so pretty I don't want it to get ruined.
I love fuzzi bunz
I love honeyboys
I LOVE my prefolds.
I will keep a few fitteds for coverless house time. But thats it, its all going........

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#20 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 04:56 PM

Ahh, I think I fall into the simplifying category We have almost all prefolds and wool covers ("natural" looking soakers mainly). I love having one system. Too much choice also stresses me out! I may invest in a few good fitted diapers for nighttime, but I am trying to work out a prefold system first.

Actually, I am trying to simplify all areas of my life. We are trying to get rid of clutter, thin out the toy stash and replace plastic or synthetic fibers with natural things. I want to surround myself and my children with beauty (especially my 7 year old who already is so serious and always seems stressed out). For some reason my UBCPFs and natural wool make me so peaceful

Jenica - Blessed Mom to (12), (9), (6), : (2), and with a January surprise!
Missing precious Leo Malachi - m/c 7/06
#21 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 05:02 PM

After going to an all-Fuzzi Bunz system once DS grew out of size smalls (of which I had a huge mish-mash stash) and into mediums, my life has been much easier. I don't even *gasp* visit diapering anymore, I just saw this thread on the new posts search. :
#22 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 05:23 PM

Yup, I went through this like a year ago, when I was spending a discusting amount of money(because we really didn't have it) on fuz diaper gardens. I sold them all along with my sos, and some other hyena dipes, and am still sad once in a while, but it was so freeing. I swear the more you let go of the easier it gets, and the better it feels.
I want 2-3 doz fitteds for the new baby, 2-4 wool covers, 3-4 wool pants, and 1-2 dozen prefolds. Sounds like a lot, but it's simple, and would let me wash every 2-3 days. I let my babies go coverless at home, so need lots of dipes. LOL they are definate piddlers.
For Sam I would love 2 doz dyed pfs, 2-4 wool covers, 3-4 wool pants, and a dozen fitteds. That would be the perfect "stash" for me. Oh, and I guess this looks like a lot. LOL I think it is the streamlining that looks good now, we have so many different odds and ends left from when I sold everything off a year ago, I just want everything to be the same. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#23 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 06:07 PM

Yup! I am feeling the urge too!!!

I have started thining out the stash, I just don't use it all and it bugs me that it's just sitting there
#24 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 06:24 PM

I have simplified (once I figured out what I liked) and I love it. Lots of prefolds, and just Muttaqins for fitteds. Trying to go all wool but it's too expensive. My NB stash is really diverse, but that's ok, once baby grows out of it we can sell it and invest in some more wool and that's that!
I'm crazy about prefolds right now. I suppose I will get bored...one of the reasons I have 1 doz Muttaqins! To be exciting!
And I am going to an all-Very Baby AIO system for going out.
#25 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
my 75+ FLAG collection
where is the faint icon???
:
#26 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMomworld
For some reason my UBCPFs and natural wool make me so peaceful
I couldn't agree more!
#27 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 06:40 PM

me, i'm on huge simplification kick. i'm actually mailing out 28 diapers today. feels good to be getting "back to basics" a bit. i will say though that the only prefolds i use are ones i converted to fitteds. i'm plain prefold challenged. lol!! good luck on the simplification journey!!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#28 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay
me, i'm on huge simplification kick. i'm actually mailing out 28 diapers today. feels good to be getting "back to basics" a bit. i will say though that the only prefolds i use are ones i converted to fitteds. i'm plain prefold challenged. lol!! good luck on the simplification journey!!
Thanks! This thread has given me the extra kick in the booty I needed. Now I'm off to take pics and swing by good ol' ebay. It really excites me to think about focusing my attention on a few beautiful items (like the all homegrown, natural wool soaker I just won on Ebay) and not get sucked into every cute little thing that passes by. I'm also going to be learning to knit my own soakers...and that excites me more than anything has in a long time Picking out yummy wool colors was so calming. I need more calm...:LOL
#29 of 30 Old 08-10-2004, 08:08 PM

I have only been CDing for about 2 months and I have a little mish-mosh of stuff and it is driving me crazy. I am also bummed that a fair amount of money went down the drain because I discovered that dd cannot wear PUL. I have sold most of it off but you still don't make all your money back. In any case I have decided to simplify and this is my stash I am working on:

1 dozen trimmed premium UBCPF
1 dozen premium UBIPF
6 Hemparoos
6 wool covers
6 recycled sweater wool longies
2 wool jersey pants
6 fitted dipes
2 Nighttime diapers
18 silk liners
36 flannel wipes

I have about 70% of this. I am tired of thinking of all the different types of dipes. If I have a hankering for something different I will just sew it. I have come so close to many impulse buys and I think I can now just rest and feel comfy with my system I like.
#30 of 30 Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 AM

We have just one type of diaper so we're simple with that. However, when it comes to covers, I've been on the quest for the perfect wool soaker. Today I was washing some of my soakers and I decided it's time for them to head off to the TP. You can laugh all you want, but it bugs me having more than one type of soaker. They may be different colors, but they all need to be made the same way. Something about consistency...

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page