I think I'm getting sucked into the Simplifying Void... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, mamas, I have been reading the flats threads.

I'm sorely tempted to go list my fitteds on the TP and buy some birdseye flats and to heck with hyenadom!
(...well...except for wool).
I mean seriously. I could sell two or three fitteds and fund two dozen flats, shipped.
I really love my prefolds these days. They are really perfect. I just need to dye them to make them a tad more fun.
They don't wear out (well, not for a LONG time).
They're easy to put on.
They're soft and cozy.
But they're not so trim...not like those flat pictures!

Who's sold it all and gone to prefolds and flats only?
Am I losing my mind?
Why would it be bad to have an entire stash of prefolds, flats, and wool covers?
#2 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 11:22 PM

Except for the lone SOS I've got, Gregory has outgrown all the other fitteds and we're no exclusively prefolds, flat, and wool (well, We'll be back to 1005 wool when I find the time to knit for him, LOL, right now we're 50/50 wool and fleece)

I love my prefolds, and I'm really grooving on the hemp jersey flats I made for him. Definitely need to dye them, though, the natural white is starting to get on my nerves, LOL!
#3 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Is birdseye the nice trim stuff? I tried folding up a flannel receiving blanket just now and it was okay. (He's sleeping, so tomorrow will be Trial Day).
Or would hemp jersey be better?
#4 of 17 Old 08-16-2004, 11:51 PM

I am no expert but birdseye is really thin. I think hemp jersey would be more absorbant because hemp is more absorbant than cotton, right?
#5 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 12:02 AM

Why we prefer fitteds - they contain poo (keep it off the precious wool) and they absorb a LOT more than pfs/flats. You could NEVER convince me to sell my fitteds! :LOL
#6 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 12:05 AM

I got rid of everything for prefolds which I love. I am really tempted to try the flats-they look so trim!
#7 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 12:21 AM

I was totally into prefolds until,...I had my DD when my son was 19 mos old I would not make any big change in your system until you have your baby. JMHO.
You could not pay me enough to sell my fitted dipes, my DD does not sit/lay still for long enough to get a prefold out of the drawer, let alone put one on her. DS complains about prefolds all the time and asks for fitted dipes LOL He is 2.
Just thought I would give you my little story.
#8 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Why we prefer fitteds - they contain poo (keep it off the precious wool) and they absorb a LOT more than pfs/flats. You could NEVER convince me to sell my fitteds!

Yep. What she said.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#9 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 12:26 AM

I am greatly interested in all the talk about flats. I know you can buy some WAHM ones, but for birdseye, are we talking like the Gerber ones?

I am mainly a fitted girl. It just works better on my wiggly kid, but I did use pins for the first time today, so I suppose, I *could* try a flat.
#10 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkMommy
I was totally into prefolds until,...I had my DD when my son was 19 mos old I would not make any big change in your system until you have your baby. JMHO.
You could not pay me enough to sell my fitted dipes, my DD does not sit/lay still for long enough to get a prefold out of the drawer, let alone put one on her. DS complains about prefolds all the time and asks for fitted dipes LOL He is 2.
Just thought I would give you my little story.
Hmmm...probably not a bad idea to wait. I'm a little...wacky right now anyways (I never had these mood swings when pg with DS, I was the picture of preggo bliss. This time, you need to watch out for the Big Mama). And I was wondering about the poopholding factor. I am no expert at the jellyroll/sidewall fold.
I am going to try a flat on Timothy today though, just to see...
Thanks mamas for your advice!
#11 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 09:47 AM

I have finally figured out how not to change my entire stash when I get the urge. I do one day of pf, one day of flats and one day of fitted. Or what ever feels right that day. I enjoy using all types of dipes and this way I can. I tried simplifing, but got bored.I have sold off thing in the past and regreated it. Now the only thing I am selling off is pul. We went with wool and fleece and really love it.
#12 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 10:19 AM

I go through these fits every now and then when I want to sell off all my stash in favour of something new. However, I usually panic and restrict myself to just a few new things. Maybe you could sell off half your stash, so that you keep some of your favourite fitteds in case you're not as enamoured of flats as you think you'll be?
#13 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 05:57 PM

I use flats almost exclusively. I kept about 2 doz. fitteds (I have twins )for my dh and family to use when they are looking after the boys. Most people are afraid to use pins. I find that my diaper pail doesn't fill up nearly as quick with flats so I don't have to wash quite as often and there's no velcro to stick together. They also dry way quicker and they seem to smell better since there is only one layer to get clean.
#14 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Simplifying is great in theory (and really, I probably should). .. but then I keep finding new dipes to try and end up loving them. I guess I should stop buying new ones? So I don't know what I'm missing?

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#15 of 17 Old 08-17-2004, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieblue
Why we prefer fitteds - they contain poo (keep it off the precious wool) and they absorb a LOT more than pfs/flats. You could NEVER convince me to sell my fitteds! :LOL
Flats remind me of what my mom used on my sister when I was a kid. Cloth diapering has come a long way. I think flats are just the latest fad. Give me fitted's any day.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#16 of 17 Old 08-18-2004, 12:06 AM

I've been thinking... Why can't fitteds be simple? My stash is basically 2 types of fitteds and some prefolds. I tend to think that is pretty simple. Oh, and we basically only use proraps (I just haven't found the wool-love yet).

So, I don't think you need to sell everything and just use flats to be simple. I think that fitteds are simple because you just put them on. No folding necessary.

I think that simplicity is keeping what works for you, getting rid of the excess, and stepping down from the hyena race. Just some thoughts...
#17 of 17 Old 08-18-2004, 01:06 AM

prefolds! Love them! Try to talk everyone into prefolds! If I were elected president, which is highly unlikely considering there is no president in Canada, I would banish fitteds, pockets, AIOs in favor of prefolds... All hail the mighty prefold!

Did I mention, I like prefolds?

susie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page