simplifying vs. greedifying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-22-2004, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
tug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have been hoping to simplify my life as dh and i prepare for baby no. 2 (baby no. 1 is 19 mos). we don't own too much stuff, but lately i've had this weird, weird greed to replace two big items (specifically, sofa and dining set). i have really been obsessing about this which seems so dumb. i keep telling myself we can make do (we have for years) but then i notice the huge rips in the sofa cushions and the cat scratches and the fact that every chair in our dining set is broken (one is actually kind of dangerous because the back's falling off). see? i have such good excuses for my greed. does anyone have any recommendations for how to squelch this "acquisitional" freakiness? is it just the fact that i've been on bedrest for seven weeks? ack!! help.

i remember a while back there was a series of posts on simplifying our lives. if it's still floating here, i've lost it and maybe someone could direct me to it again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-22-2004, 01:02 AM

I'm am completely with you on the simplifying in your life, but I believe that our home needs to reflect things we love for it to be a haven. That doesn't mean needing to buy new stuff, but look in the paper to see if you can find a nice used set of furniture. People that move cross country are always selling everything so you could find something you like that way that isn't in "used" condition ya know? You should be comfortable in your home and love it. No need to feel guilty about having nicer furnriture I think.
#3 of 7 Old 09-22-2004, 01:54 AM

I agree. You are not greedy, you are nesting. you want a nice, comfortable, safe, warm home for your family. Nothing wrong with that. What would be wrong is thinking you have to spend lots of money that is not in your budget just to do that.

BTW, 2 days before my ds #1 was born, we went and bought a couch. I couldn't take the idea of spending my days nursing on our old college futon.
#4 of 7 Old 09-22-2004, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini
I'm am completely with you on the simplifying in your life, but I believe that our home needs to reflect things we love for it to be a haven. That doesn't mean needing to buy new stuff, but look in the paper to see if you can find a nice used set of furniture. People that move cross country are always selling everything so you could find something you like that way that isn't in "used" condition ya know? You should be comfortable in your home and love it. No need to feel guilty about having nicer furnriture I think.
nak

ITA!!! This is not greed. get your furniture, and enjoy it.
#5 of 7 Old 09-22-2004, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
tug

ah. i love you guys. somehow you've made me feel justified in my nesting needs. thank you!!

dh is weird about furniture right now. no more junk he says. but then he points out that 2 dogs and soon to be 2 kids will ruin anything, so nothing nice. how do i balance that in looking at furniture? silly man.
#6 of 7 Old 09-22-2004, 10:42 AM

I cant add much to the wonderful posts here already

I dont think youre greedy at all.
#7 of 7 Old 09-22-2004, 11:07 AM

Kind of funny--we bought a new couch, the only furniture (besides beds) we ever bought new, when I was pg with dd. The only reason we went with new was because all the "used" we found were in smoking or pet homes. Anyway, it must be a nesting thing.

For a dining set, though, I definitely second the ads in the paper.

For me, simple is about not having too much--the extra stuff ends up being extra cleaning, extra trouble, an extra squeeze both financially and space-wise...and no extra joy at all.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page