A Real Mom's Declutter/House Cleaning Challenge!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 09-30-2004, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep reading about people decluttering, or deep cleaning their house. I want a clean house, too, but w/ a toddler it seems impossible. I have also had morning sickness for 5 months, and it's just now going away (at 22 weeks UGH!). Needless to say, my house is a MESS!!! I read the Flylady website, and a few others. I don't think they will work for me, so I took the ideas I got, and made my own plan. I work at home, and have a toddler, and am PG (and tired :P ). The only commitment I made was to do *something* everyday! I am starting w/ my kitchen, the room that bothers me the most. It is very small, so I have to organize, and downsize quite a bit. My goal is to be done by Sunday! Here is my list of things to do:

Clean cabinet fronts
Clean out top, bottom, and oak cabinets
Clean ref., stove, and dishwasher (including underneath, behind, on top, ect.!)
Wash food splatters off all walls
Clean floor by hand
Vaccuum all crevices, and inside vents
Wash windows, and window coverings
Polish all oak surfaces

I started on Sunday, and here is a list of what I have accomplished every day so far:

Sunday: Cleaned most of stove (everything except the drawer and beneath)
Monday: Finished stove, and did cabinet fronts
Tuesday: Dishwasher, and outside, under, and shelves of fridge (had a spill, so had to do even MORE, rewash fronts of some cabinets, fridge, and dishwasher )
Wednesday: The inside door of fridge, and part of freezer
Thursday: All upper cabinets washed, and re-organzied (got rid of some stuff), Oak cabinet cleaned out, too!

Okay, so I have worked 2 days on my fridge, and it's still not done My toddler has enjoyed eating all kinds of stuff, and I have gotten rid of alot of stuff (well, have it ready to get rid of. I hope to get most of the rest done tomorrow, and Saturday finish up!

Would anyone like to join me in cleaning up/decluttering? If you would, just make up your To Do list, and tell us how you are doing!
#2 of 48 Old 09-30-2004, 08:06 PM

Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just found out yesterday baby #3 may be early. So much to still do! What to start with.......my room!
Today: Finish and put away all laundry! Start packing for hospital
Friday: Pack one box/bag of give away; everything else off the floor; finish packing for hospital
Saturday: Clean off desk and dresser
Sunday: Sweep and mop floor

That's all I'm planning for now. Don't know if baby will come before that.

Free Thinker....congrats on what you have accomplished! I will keep yoiu posted on what I get done! Don't forget to rest too!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 48 Old 09-30-2004, 08:13 PM

I'm in...
OK...sometime tonight I will:
1)clean bathroom thoroughly and throw away 1/2 used bottles of whatever I haven't used in a year...
2)Pack up 1/2 my books and take them to attick
3)organize and clean computer area
Tomorrow I will...
1)dust and vaccume living room(couch and chairs too!)
2)find 20 things (anything) to throw away
3)dust toddler's room...
Somebody, please chastise me in some way if none of this gets done!
#4 of 48 Old 09-30-2004, 08:32 PM

We can do it ladies..........................................if I ever get off of the computer!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 48 Old 09-30-2004, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Kelly! You sound ambitious for one night Maybe if you get it all done you can *reward* yourself (with something like ice cream or popcorn!)
#6 of 48 Old 09-30-2004, 09:33 PM

That's what I was thinking too! Yeah.....Kelly.........reward me too!
I haven't dano anything on my list but I am scrubbing the tub and cleaning the upstairs bathroom. Can anyone say nesting?

#7 of 48 Old 10-01-2004, 02:20 AM

What a great thread! I too am working on decluttering. I'm planning a garage sale for Saturday. Getting rid of LOTS of kid's toys and clothes and craft things. So next week, I can start the deep cleaning of the house. Everyone be sure to post updates for me to keep me motivated. And lists too, so I have ideas of what to do exactly.

hang.gif  

#8 of 48 Old 10-01-2004, 04:05 AM

Ok..........working on laundry and almost finished scrubbing bathroom. I'm slow moving like a turtle! Problem? It is 204AM and I can't sleep..................I just keep cleaning!

#9 of 48 Old 10-01-2004, 12:19 PM

I have tidied most of my house except for the office (a constant project) and the downstairs bedroom. The BR seems to be the landing place for everything that I take out of other rooms, but I do go through it so it doesn't get worse, it just stays the same. Right now my nightmare I need to go through is all this fabric and patterns I bought and haven't touched for over 4 years. My style has changed and I'm now a nursing mom so 90% of the stuff I was going to make won't work. I would like to go through it outfit by outfit and decide if I'm still interested in making anything, but then I wonder when I'll ever have time to sew. So I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

The thing I love (and use most) from Flylady is Babysteps, Babysteps. You can only take little steps and you're not going to change your life overnight. She has a lot of great ideas - control journal, etc. - but you don't have to implement them all at once, just when and if you decide they would be useful to you. Right now I'm contemplating getting her calendar, but I need to come up with the $$ first. I think it would save me a whole lot of frustration, so I need to just do it.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#10 of 48 Old 10-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

I need to join. I will report back when I complish something!!!
#11 of 48 Old 10-02-2004, 12:54 AM

How is everyone doing? Come on mommies.........you can do it! I am proud of all of you. Visit and post your accomplishments.......no matter how little......they count!

Oh, almost done with all of my laundry. Got all cdiaps washes so I can pack them for the hospital.

#12 of 48 Old 10-02-2004, 09:08 AM

http://www.flylady.net

Flylady is the best! She sends you missions, and reminds us all to take "baby steps".
#13 of 48 Old 10-04-2004, 03:56 PM

Update...!!!!
OK...I accomplished almost everything on the list.
Didn't dust the babie's room, but I cleaned some other things that were simple filthier.
I actually washed the baseboards! And I hadn't even noticed before that they were dirty!(I thought they were painted peachy-grey...We've only lived here a few months...I think there might be mold or something in the house?). Then I noticed the dust on the doors, and then the cobwebs in the corners.
Weird how easy it is to ignore those things till you're in the right frame of mind to deal with them.
I had a little extra motivation, though...Sunday (yesterday) was the baby's first B'day party, so I knew the ILs were coming over.
So...now I need to go through the "junk drawers"...
*shudder*
It's so hard to figure out if it's OK to throw something away when you're not quite sure what it actually is to begin with....
How's every one else coming along?
#14 of 48 Old 10-04-2004, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like some of us are getting some things done! I fell behind b/c I had MS come back Thrusday and Friday. I did accomplish alot this weekend, though! I finished cleaning out all cabinets, polished all the oak except the table, and washed down all the walls!!! Still on my To Do list for the kitchen:

Clean/Polish table and chairs
Wash all windows and screen doors
vaccuum out crevices and vents
Clean the floors

Not bad! This is only Monday, so I'm hoping to be done w/ this all by Wednesday! Wish me luck!!! I am working really hard on keeping the kitchen clean, too. I also am getting caught up on laundry, and I've had to keep the rest of the house picked up, just not deep cleaned

Let's keep ourselves motivated!!!!!!

And a quick question Should my next project be the living room (next to kitchen, but decluttered for the most part, needs deep cleaning, ect, but not as big a project) or the bathroom (needs lots of re-organization, but isn't really that dirty, just cluttered up, and is really small, so it wouldn't take long to deep clean). I'm not sure if I should go in a particular order in the house, or attack the most cluttered places first? Do I need to give myself a week to recover, or just keep attacking everything?
#15 of 48 Old 10-04-2004, 08:09 PM

hey, can I get in on this? I have got to do SOMETHING about the clutter that is overtaking my house. It just never stops. I get Flylady's emails and love to read them, but it rarely translates to DOING them. I don't have time to post more right now, but later tonight or tomorrow I'm going to post a list of what I want to accomplish this week. This is a great idea!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#16 of 48 Old 10-04-2004, 08:16 PM

I'd say keep on keepin' on while the inclination is there...
I'd suggest getting the bathroom first, since there's something uniquely satisfying about having a really, really clean bathroom...
BTW...
You can wash walls??? OMG!!! What do you use?
Also, I saw a PBS special once where there was this guy that showed how to make all these natural cleaning solutions with stuff like vinegar and baking soda...
Does anyone know the recipies for any of those?
#17 of 48 Old 10-05-2004, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I use Shaklee products for 90% of my cleaning. I used Basic G on a rag to wash down all the walls in the kitchen. This kid likes to throw food sometimes, and they just get dingy looking if you don't wash them down once or twice a year. I don't have all the recipies for the vinager washes, but I do put straight baking soda on the cabinet, then spray on white vinegar and watch it bubble.
#18 of 48 Old 10-05-2004, 02:34 PM

I still haven't done anything! We're taking this week of from "school" type stuff, so I should have tons of time, but it's just not working out that way. Here's what I had hoped to accomplish this week:

Clean out front hall closet (years of accumulated outgrown shoes, sports equipment, coats, etc. literally stacked several feet high)

Clean out downstairs storage closet (overflowing with bulky toys that I don't want sitting out all the time, luggage, 2 vacuums, etc.)

Catch up on ALL laundry, including towels and bed linens

I'm sure there's more but I doubt I'll be able to even get to that this week.

#19 of 48 Old 10-05-2004, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Deb, it's great that you have at least made up a list That counts Maybe you should just stick w/ one item this week, to see how much you can get done, since you are having a hard time getting started Will have worked on my kitchen about 2 weeks by the time I get it all done. I had to clean out cabinets, drawers, ect. and it just takes a while (not to mention you have to have a place to get rid of all this junk at, and actually haul it there :LOL ). Could your girls take a study week to manage their/your time better? I think we could all learn how to better manage our time! What a great lesson! I wish I could do a better job at that.

Oh, and I picked my kitchen b/c it is the place in the house that stays the messiest. I am hoping that by getting it completely cleaned, that it will help me to stay on top of the dishes better, and just keep it in better shape.

Good Luck! BTW, I am working on my windows today, so hopefully I will be done w/ that, and working on the finishing touches tomorrow (the floor!)
#20 of 48 Old 10-05-2004, 07:44 PM

TwinMom...
In my city you can call the local charity thrift store and they'll come out to your house and pick up your donations...
If that's an option in your area, maybe you could call them in advance and tell them to come out, say, Friday or Monday to pick up a load. That will force you to deal with it by then, or face the consequences of having to call them to postpone it...???
Free thinker..
So you didn't wash all the walls in your whole house?
I was about to start feeling very, very inept at housekeeping...
Edited to add: What do you guys use to clean in your ovens?
I've never actually cleaned in a oven before...lol...but I think it's about time...I'm thinking about using Simple Green...
#21 of 48 Old 10-06-2004, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have a self cleaning oven I do remeber using some oven cleaner that would burn your hands, and smelled awful years ago??? What I use on my heavier stuff is Shaklee At-Ease paste, and it seems to work well (with alot of elbow grease!) on the little pans under the stove burners.

Yesterday I washed out the double windows, and today I did the table, so... That leaves me with the following:

Screen door
one last window that I can't hardly reach, and may hurt myself washing, so waiting for DHs help
vaccuum out crevices, and vents
wash floor by hand

I did sweep,a nd most of the floor has been handwashed in the last week just b/c I have been spilling things, or I'm right there w/ a rag, so I mop up a small spill or spot I must say it is looking MUCH better. I did forget to do the drawers, so next week I will work on those, and DHs pile of papers on the cabinet (they are in filing drawers, so not too bad looking). Oh, and yes I only washed the walls in the kitchen this week. I usually try to get them all at least once a year, just to keep them from getting really dingy. I do baseboards once or twice a year, too.

Is anyone else trying to change habits since starting this? I am trying really hard to keep all my dishes done up, and the cabinets cleaned off for the most part, but it's REALLY hard. I have has MS relapses, and I can completley see how my house got in such shambles. The next morning I have yucky dishes, and a mess all over the cabinet. My kitchen is fairly small, so there is no cabinet space, and I am stacking dishes, and rearranging just to make room to fix our breakfast I have GOT to keep this room clean. I think it gets me down the whole day when I wake up to this.
#22 of 48 Old 10-07-2004, 04:49 PM

I'm trying to change habits, too...
Freethinker...is there room in your kitcken for some sort of shelfish type thingie? Or a wire rack of some sort to stack dishes on?
That might help if there's room...
Here's my dish habit that's been working for a while now.
Every morning while the coffee's brewing I do the dishes...by the time I'm done, the coffee's ready...like a reward...lol..
During the day, as dishes start accululating, I run a sink full of water to drop them in.
When it starts to get full, I give myself *one* procrastination "dish snooze button" allowance by running some more hot water in there, and re-sudsing the water.
Before dinner, as part of making dinner, I first wash the day's dishes, which isn't hard because they've been soaking.
Then, after dinner, I pre-rinse icky dishes as I put them in the sink, and fill it up with hot water. Come morning, I wash them once again while the coffee's on.
Anyway...today or tonight I will:
1)clean in microwave
2)clean out fridge...even wash the shelves...
Not much, but , hey...it's something!
What happened to everybody else? Did you give up? Come back! We can do it!!!
#23 of 48 Old 10-07-2004, 05:21 PM

I'm still here but I haven't done anything on my list. : Well, I did put the 5 loads of clean laundry away, but I'm not caught up with all of it like I thought I would be. I just can't seem to make myself do anything right now. I want my nesting urge to kick in!

#24 of 48 Old 10-07-2004, 05:50 PM

Is this a phenomenon caused by pregnancy? Nesting maybe? Since I got pregnant (16 weeks now) I've been obsessed with projects that I'm way to tired to do because I'm never going to be able to do them when the baby comes. About a month ago I convinced myself that all of the walls needed to be washed from top to bottom. I'm sure it's a worthy goal, but I also see other things that need to be done more. I actually have a two page list of project to finish BB (before baby) I can't figure myself out.
#25 of 48 Old 10-07-2004, 06:34 PM

Deb...have you thought about my "set an appointment with the thrift store to come pick up donations" idea?
You could call them today and ask them to make a stop Monday morning...
Then sometime this weekend you'll have to clean out that closet...
#26 of 48 Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Today is my main paperwork day (I WAH) so I don't do much housework on Thrusdays. Last night I started in cleaning the kitchen floor by hand, and also vaccuumed out the vents and crevices. Tomorrow looks pretty busy, but I hope to get the floor done, and hopefully the screen door. DD should be able to play on the back porch while I do that, so she won't be underfoot :LOL

There really isn't room for anything else in my kitchen right now. We bought an oak cabinet last year for Christmas to house some of the stuff, and I have some good cabinets in the basement that I store the "I only use this once a year, but need it" stuff (pressure cooker, extra dishes, christmas stuff) and I also got rid of anything that didn't have a "place" to be put away. The only things I left on the cabinet are the tea maker, and the blender which get used every day. I also got one of the drainers that goes in your sink, not on the cabinet to save space. Last week I did get some of those wire racks, and put them to use in several cabinets! They work great, and I wish I had bought them a long time ago!

One other thing that I want to mention I did! I got rid of the Fry Daddy that I rarely used, and never need to use! I made a place for my crockpot up here instead of in the basement. I am a really busy mom, and need to try to use it 1-2 times per week, but I won't go to the basement to get it. I think this will eventually make a big difference (when I learn how to better use it). Tonight is a busy night, and I have a roast in there, and will add the potatoes in a bit. If I can get to putting together supper in the mornings, or early afternoons, when DD is asleep it should help out tremendously, especially when I have a newborn, too! Soups and chili should be a snap in there!

Shannon, it's not nesting yet :LOL When you are washing walls at 2:00am, that's nesting Seriously, though, there are alot of things that need to be done before a baby gets here, and I think that we do start thinking of them when our energy starts to come back. It's hard (but important) to remember what all you can and can't do, and that your energy level now has a lower limit. Let us know what things youa re getting done!

Deb, I think you can make great strides this weekend! Getting 5 loads of laundry folded is quite an accomplishment It's hard when you see so much more that needs done, and the little that you have managed to accomplish (BTW, we are both DIFebruary!!!). I know most days I don't get done all that I wanted to My energy level still hasn't returned like it did w/ my DD at this point. I am wondering if that's b/c I have a toddler, too?

Good Luck, Girls!!!
#27 of 48 Old 10-07-2004, 11:46 PM

I was kind of thinking that when we list our weekly goals we should think of one personal/habit changing goal and do it for one month. That has been my main problem.........consistency. I think sharing with eachother our goals will help to assure we achieve them. What do you all think?

#28 of 48 Old 10-08-2004, 05:50 PM

I just wanted to let you all know that I washed the walls in the bathroom. It's the smallest room in the house, but the one that seems to need the most wall-washing attention (after the kitchen). I washed the floor and the rest of the bathroom too. I think I'm done for the day
#29 of 48 Old 10-08-2004, 10:42 PM

Good job,SM3247 !
And good idea, AngelBee!
I'll have to think about what mine will be, though...
BTW, I got the microwave cleaned out.
Next, I'm going to go through the paperwork drawer....
#30 of 48 Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've been busy the last few days, so I need to come up w/ my new list for the week.

Complete washing all laundry, and sheets
front and back doors
keep kitchen cleaned up
window in kitchen
all windows in the living room
curio cabinet
vaccuum the couch, and the chair
clean and condition leather chair

This week I am going to try to work w/ DD on potty learning. She is doing really well, but I think I need to focus on it for a week or so w/ her. I am also expecting company one day, so yesterday I did general housecleaning, and will do that again the morning they decide to come over. I also got pretty caught up on laundry, and just have a few loads left. My plan is get it all completely done at some point this week.

Good work ladies! It feels good to get some things accomplished. Bathroom wall washing will probably be on my to do list next week, when I plan to tackle the bathroom. What is your plan for this week?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page