Simplifying means downsizing ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-05-2002, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're actually trying to sell a lot of our stuff, to get money and to simplify.

So yesterday I went through our CD collection and kept only that without which I cannot live: All my Beatles, together and apart; all my Grateful Dead; all my Dylan; all my Steely Dan; most (but not all!) of my Neil Young; and a few assorted single specialties that I can't give up ... my Yes, "Close to the Edge," Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd.

Those that I am giving away (100-some-odd) include, interestingly enough as an afterthought, all the women musicians ... Kate Bush, Bonnie Raitt, Enya, Joan Osborne, Suzanne Vega, Toni Childs ...

I guess I loved those CDs, but since we don't have room for this in our lives anymore, these are the ones I can easily do without.

And yes, I've dated myself by this list, I know. I am in the 40-range.

But seriously, which do you have that you can live without ... and is there a genre that you once loved that you've lost?
And which will go with you to your deathbed?

- Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-05-2002, 01:43 PM

Amy, I can relate. I'm not moved by Seattle grunge anymore, for example. And art school bands like Throwing Muses don't hit me the same way either. But I do like bands like Rage Against the Machine and P.O.D.--even System of a Down.

So many artists from the 60's transcend trends for me--Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, the Beatles, etc.

U2 and REM.

Moby

All types of world music--Khaled, Gipsy Kings, etc.

Classical music & jazz.
#3 of 4 Old 08-05-2002, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dave Matthews Band! Natalie Merchant! Sarah McLachlan! I love guitar rich "classic" rock (but not neccisarily just 'classics', but just saying rock by itself can bring up anything from Santana to Metallica). I suppose that my favorites could change, afterall I'm only 24, but I adore these artists now and don't think those will change much

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#4 of 4 Old 08-05-2002, 02:05 PM
glh

amyrpk-dating myself too: Van Morrison and Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead and Beatles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page