Is there something that's like Flylady, but not..? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-06-2004, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I signed up for Flylady and cancelled my subscription after a week or so. I'm a WOHM, and skimming all the emails just to find out which ones I really had to pay attention to took way too much time.

I like the idea of email reminders for cleaning. I also usually work well when I know I "have" to do something on a particular day.

Does anyone know of a de-cluttering/cleaning website that is less demanding and intrusive than Flylady?
#2 of 18 Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 PM

Try this site. www.motivatedmoms.com

You can purchase their yearly planner for only $7 and it has helped me tremendously in keeping up with all the house chores. I WOH too and flylady is WAY too much and kind of overbearing IMO. The yearly planner that you can get at the motivatedmoms website has daily chores (that you can usually get done in less than 30 minutes...depending on the size of your house I guess). and then each day also has a few bigger tasks that you decide (or not) if you need to do them (ie, clean out fridge, plan meals for week, grocery shop, de-clutter main bedroom closet, etc.) This has been a life saver for me. I feel like if I can just get the main daily things done, my house feels relatively clean to me...and if I do some of the bigger tasks, it is just a bonus. Anyway, hope this helps you. My best friend loves it too, FWIW.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#3 of 18 Old 11-06-2004, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

That site looks like it will be just what I needed! Thanks so much. I checked out a "sample page" and I was glad to see that there are things like "read to the children" and "personal pampering" on the list!

Thanks again!!

Any future posters, I'm still open to other ideas. Knowing me, I'll get bored and frustrated with this method after a few months, and I'll need to find yet another way to stay on top of things!
#4 of 18 Old 11-07-2004, 02:30 AM

#5 of 18 Old 11-07-2004, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Oooo, that one looks cool too! Thanks ladies!
#6 of 18 Old 11-07-2004, 08:48 PM

I needed the same thing, so I started a thread here You are welcome to join us! We just post the jobs we hope to get done durring the week, and then tell how we did Some weeks are better than others, but just writing it down somewhere helps alot for me. I am decluttering, and working on keeping up better w/ laundry and the dishes, and I WAH, so I'm pretty busy! I looked at Flylady, and it was just TOO much for me. I don't need a dust free house, just one that I can walk thru, and a place to put everything. I like the living room to look nice if someone stops by, and the bathroom cleaned a few times per week.
#7 of 18 Old 11-08-2004, 02:07 PM

I just have my email filter set to keep the flylady emails I need and delete the ones I don't. As a WAHM, it has really helped me keep on top of things.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#8 of 18 Old 11-08-2004, 05:49 PM

I love my www.mymessyhouse.com It's really helped me!

Olivia
#9 of 18 Old 11-13-2004, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for this!!! I need to look at all of these next week while DH is at work and DS is napping!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#10 of 18 Old 11-15-2004, 08:38 PM

Laura,

Once you download the calendar, is there a way to check off completed tasks?
#11 of 18 Old 11-16-2004, 07:50 PM

Pageta, how do you set the filter on your e-mail? I like Flylady, just not all the e-mails because I'm nowhere near doing all of it and would rather not get all of it.
#12 of 18 Old 11-16-2004, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamajamz
Pageta, how do you set the filter on your e-mail? I like Flylady, just not all the e-mails because I'm nowhere near doing all of it and would rather not get all of it.
I was just about to ask this. I stopped the emails when I went on vacation this summer & just never turned it back on. There was always too many to weed through & I'd rather be browsing here at MDC!
#13 of 18 Old 11-16-2004, 09:49 PM

In Outlook, you use the Rules Wizard under Tools. You can use all sorts of criteria - a certain address, certain words (e.g. Reminder) in the title, etc. to define which emails need to go to what place.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#14 of 18 Old 11-17-2004, 01:26 AM

Cool! I'm so glad to learn about that feature. Thanks!
#15 of 18 Old 12-19-2004, 03:18 PM

I know what you mean about all the e-mails! I like the concept but not the 18 messages a day!

I found www.starorganizer.com and it is the same idea--only you receive 1 e-mail a day. And it is much more professional overall. It is a new site, I believe, so it is still changing. But I like it.

I'm ready to keep my home organized!

--Kristine
favorite site: www.starorganizer.com
#16 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 08:39 PM

If you like Flylady but only want one email a day, you can set Yahoo to do that. Edit your group membership to send emails in "digest" form. They will bundle all of them for 24 hours and then send them all at one time. You don't get to control the time, unfortunately. You still get all the messages, but they are all together in one document. I generally scroll down pretty fast to catch the ones that I want. For me this is especially good because I don't want to get that many "personal" messages at the office.
#17 of 18 Old 12-23-2004, 02:50 AM

Just wanted to say, great thread and great tips! Thanks everyone!
#18 of 18 Old 12-24-2004, 12:14 AM

these were great... star organizer is more my bag. thanks!!

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page