Am I the only flybaby NOT doing the holiday cruising missions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-06-2004, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With the medical tests and not knowing what is going to happen I don't even know if I will be laid up or not come Christmas Eve so I have just ignored the cruising missions and gone by journal I made in a binder of what zone we would normally be doing that week
anyone else just doing 'regular" zoning?
#2 of 10 Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 PM

I'm with you. Well, not the medical tests part, but I've been ignoring the missions too. While we do celebrate Christmas, everything must wait to be purchased until after DH's bonus arrives, which is another week away. While I'm sure it would be nice to get everything done ahead, not gonna happen in this house. I can't help but wonder how those who don't celebrate Christmas, don't have any money, or whatever are responding to this. Besides, I really hate starting "Christmas" before my Thanksgiving leftovers are gone!
#3 of 10 Old 12-09-2004, 07:58 PM

I'm not doing most of them simply because they don't really apply to my family. Our presents have already been purchased & wrapped and we're not doing much entertainment. Plus we'll be at my parents' house for Christmas so I don't have to cook a big dinner!

I decided to take a break from my zones anyways because it's nice to have a rest for awhile. Instead I'm taking a bit more time to relax and play with my son.
#4 of 10 Old 12-10-2004, 04:04 PM

I started out quite well at the end of October and got quite a lot of planning done and most of the presents bought. But then I had a bad couple of weeks at the end of November and it's all I can do to feed everyone and keep my sink dish-free - not even clean.

Still, I'm glad I did what I did before that or it would be worse. Not that I actually managed to organise anything for MY kids or dh - I was waiting for another month's income...

Fortunately we're not having visitors so nobody except me will mind if the place is a mess, etc.

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#5 of 10 Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 PM

I am more in crisis cleaning mode. Haha. Had a baby in Oct.
#6 of 10 Old 12-14-2004, 02:19 PM

I'm lost without my zones! I had been slacking and about a month before Christmas I decided all I really need to do is follow my zones and the house will be ready for the inlaws visiting. We're pretty low key about alot of the celebrations, but I have done almost everything that is specific to Christmas a while ago.

So come December 1st I go to the flylady site and the zones are gone! What was she thinking? A whole month without zone cleaning? SO I have been trying to remember the order. I was in the kitchen last week, bathroom this week, master bedroom next week. Does anyone know if I'm on track?

Czen
#7 of 10 Old 12-14-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

you are on right on track if that helps
I put the stickers on my calendar just as if I was doing regular zones and yep kitchen last week bathroom this week
#8 of 10 Old 12-14-2004, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Heck no!!!

Hanukkah is nearly over and its not a major holiday anyway- life was hectic at my huse in late September/early October!

I find these "holiday missions" to be a distraction and I miss the "normal" zones. I also feel kind of cheated because I ignored zone missions during MY holidays and now I can't make them up! In any case, with the way I've been feeling lately, I probably wouldn't have gotten to anything besides the morning and evening routines anyway.

eta: I just emailed FlyLady asking for regular zones in December!!! Maybe she'll take it into consideration before next December?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 10 Old 12-15-2004, 12:21 PM

I don't do the daily zone missions 90% of the time anyway. I make up my own. At the beginning of the week, I look at what zone I'm in (similar to hers but as they apply to my house and the amount of work in each area) and I make a list of six things I want to accomplish in that zone over the week. Right now in my bedroom the lamp isn't working and the blinds broke and got taken down. Both need to be replaced. She would never have that on her list, but they are items #1 and #2 on mine. I just look at the zone and think of six things that have been bugging me and then I fix them. Works great.

I did do the holiday control journal, but I am not shipping any gifts anywhere and we began celebrating Christmas when we saw people which began at Thanksgiving. Most of my gifts are hand-made so I have a running list of what has to be done by what date and that keeps me on track. I cooked my big holiday meal at Thanksgiving so that's out of the way. The only other thing the Holiday Control Journal is helping me do is to make sure I stop and enjoy the holidays. I made a list of things I want to do and I'm checking them off as I go. Otherwise I might just be oblivious to the holidays other than our family get-togethers. We do the 12-days-of-Christmas thing so we don't decorate until a week before Christmas and then we take the tree down 5 days after. I have planned what I am going to do so it goes smoothly, but again, I'm not following the Flylady exactly. I do read all of the emails on the Holiday Cruising Missions, but I consider the inspiration rather than specific directions on what to do. Everyone has a different way of celebrating the holidays and you just have to do what works for you.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#10 of 10 Old 12-19-2004, 03:23 PM

May I make a suggestion?

I was just telling someone else on this board...try a different program. I like flylady--I did it for several weeks--but it got to where I couldn't keep up.

A new site was just started called "Starorganizer"--www.starorganizer.com--and it is the same idea only less e-mails. I've found it much easier to follow.

My New Year's resolution this year is to keep a better house--and so far--these e-mails are more helpful. You get 1 e-mail a day--and only 1!!!

Much less for the recycle bin

Good luck!
--Kristine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page