This SAHM's getting organized! January '05 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this dream that if I can "just" get organized things will be good and run more smoothly. I'm really hoping this can happen so I can enjoy the kids as much as possible!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 06-28-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Things fell apart on my end -- I had sciatica for the last six weeks of my pregnancy so I couldn't do much of anything ... I had to walk with a cane! So dh has been in charge all this time -- our baby was born June 18th and I am still off-duty but I am SO anxious to get back on my feet and put my house in order. You all can inspire me ....
#33 of 39 Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 PM

Hi Meli65!

I had to smile (in sympathy) about your sciatica during the last of your pregnancy and having to use a cane, because that's exactly what I went through in my 2nd pregnancy, in 1996. Except for my sciatica started about 5 months into the pregnancy! I was teaching at the time and had to limp into my classroom with my cane like an old lady. It continued afterwards too, but many visits to the acupuncturist really helped, especially when she heated the needles. AAAAh--the relief. I don't think I actually caught up with the cleaning up and decluttering until just a few weeks ago, with this move. Took me 9 years. It's weird that I had no sciatica at all with my third pregnancy at age 41. (it only returned after he was born and I was carrying him around all the time).

Happy decluttering, everyone! Now I have to go and pack some more boxes!

Kathleen E, soon to be back in my home state of CA!
#34 of 39 Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 AM

I'm still here! ekblad, I was thinking that if you could do it, I would definitely be inspired to do it with my 2 kids, when I glanced at your signature and thought, "Hey - February? But I thought she was due right before me..." And then realized OH, she WAS, and my baby is 3 months old!!!

I guess after all these months reflecting on why I still haven't gotten organized, I've figured out that the crux of the matter is that I really can't do regularity. Every time I decide to "get organized", I make a daily or weekly schedule. A minimalistic one, but still, a schedule. With a day-by-day, meal-by-meal meal plan. Then an unexpected work project comes up, or an outing takes much longer than planned, or the laundry needs doing 2 days before Laundry Day, or I just feel oppressed by the Structure, and regularity ends up not happening, and the organization attempt falls apart. So my question for you all is... Has anyone managed to get and feel organized without using a schedule? If so, how?

Oye Yemaya oloto
#35 of 39 Old 06-30-2005, 08:49 AM

I, too, fail if I have to try and stick to a schedule. I was at a homeschool conference recently and heard this wonderful talk by a mother of 12! Anyway, she said to just do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. I already do laundry daily. Kids bring it down in the a.m after breakfast and I work on it throughout the day. If there's "free" time one afternoon and the bathroom needs cleaning, I do it (or ask one of the kids to do it). If baby is ultra "needy" one day and I don't put him down at all and even the sling isn't working out that day then I do nothing that day. I do try to always make sure my dishes are done when we go to bed b/c I hate waking up to dirty dishes. Some days (like once every month or so) I may get a burst of energy and the oppurtunity to do some deep cleaning or a chance to reorganize a cupboard or closet. That's a good day! The main thing is to *try* to get things as cleaned out, decluttered, and organized as possible and then go from there. Things are much easier that way.

That said, when you have a toddler or a preschooler and a new baby managing to shower on a daily basis can be tough so DON'T be hard on yourself! This won't last forever. Our dishes and dirt will always be there but our babies that are changing every minute of the day will not. Enjoy it while it lasts. I have to remind myself of that daily as well!

Good luck! Threads like this keep me going!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#36 of 39 Old 06-30-2005, 09:08 AM

Quote:
My mom was a sahm of nine kids and kept a very tidy house, with dinner always on the table at 5:30 and clothes always washed and folded on Mondays and Wednesdays. She never seemed to have her own idnetitiy or interests.
I think this caused resentment in me, and I have fought it.
This hit a nerve....I'm subbing too. Not that my mom was neat. She was NOT. But I resent the idea that because I'm a SAHM of older kids my own many interests don't count as much as the housework. You know the stereotype "I don't stay home because I hate to clean toilets too much" Well I am home and I hate that too! :LOL

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#37 of 39 Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 AM

I'm guessing that by the time you have 9 kids any "interests" you once had are on the back burner at the house next door :LOL Everything that I do revolves around my children in some way, shape, or form. It wasn't really that way until I had four or five children. I do not resent it, though. I have chosen it and am very happy with our decision. I don't think, however, when you have two to four children (and they're older than say, one year) you can't enjoy your pre child interests. I definately think it's doable and necessary.

#38 of 39 Old 07-05-2005, 09:05 PM

Here's a good tip for the games!

Go buy a couple of boxes of various sizes of good freezer zip type bags. You know those cool ones with the little button thing on the top. It's easy for kids to move back and forth.

The go through the games and remove them one at a time from the boxes. Make a pile of the boards. Take a sharpie and write the name of the game on the bag and then put all pieces and the cut out directions in the bag. Then put all the bags in a storage container. The first time I did this I was able to fit all our games in the place of just a few games. Ugh..how much wasted space.

We keep all our card games in the coffee table because it has drawers.

Since, the boys are getting older now we are going to start having a time for games once a week. We always forget how much fun we have playing them.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#39 of 39 Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 PM

Great idea! I've done that with a few things but need to do it with more. Thank you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page