Any Flybabies out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2005, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought this book, Sink Reflections, and my house has majorly transformed! Totally organized my life. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I love the flylady. I think there is a flylady thread in "personal growth" right now, but I hope they move it over here to MHM.

I noticed that LLL has "Sink Reflections" in its catalouge. I wonder if that means it is on the approved library list?

I think it is really a challenge to keep the house clean and take care of children on an AP level of responsiveness (esp. if one or more of those kids needs lots of attention). The flylady's brilliant program, where we do tiny bits at a time and do things imperfectly (instead of giving up in despair) has really helped us a lot.

I have a control journal with most of the routines written up. I bought the control journal from the flylady's website and it was worth the money, then I revised it and made my own. (http://www.flylady.net)
Old 01-30-2005, 04:58 PM

I just joined the mailing list. My house is not dirty but I want to get more organize. What's a control journal?

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
Old 01-30-2005, 05:35 PM

I'm a BO : can I still play here?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, you're welcome. BO's can give us non-BO's tips.

A control journal is a book that organizes all of your house duties. It breaks it down to daily, weekly, zones, menus, shopping list, emergency phone numbers and regular phone numbers. I just bought one from the flylady, just to save on time. When I move, I'll use this one to help make my own.

I'm on the mailing list, but I always just delete the messages. I mostly use my control journal. I haven't even been flying for long. Since 1-14-04.

It's so true what they say about how your man gives you so much more sexual energy when he sees that your energy is much higher in the house. KWIM? I think too that having a clean house and having more pride in my work also reflects in the way that I feel about myself, which in turn, turns on my man.

Anyone else?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Mama
Yes, you're welcome. BO's can give us non-BO's tips.

It's so true what they say about how your man gives you so much more sexual energy when he sees that your energy is much higher in the house. KWIM? I think too that having a clean house and having more pride in my work also reflects in the way that I feel about myself, which in turn, turns on my man.

Anyone else?
Happy to give you tips and soooo jealous about the dh thing...I think I married the man with the lowest sex drive on the planet...I think we have only had relations like 20 times in the last 4 years....I gotta find something to fix that .....sigh. :

Feel free to ask questions of me about the BO thing....maybe we should have a question the BO thread?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Anyone else?

Hmm.... so all I have to do to keep DH away is stop cleaning the house? :LOL Makes sense....would explain the "bending over to load the dishwasher hump" : thing... Sorry, TMI.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:34 PM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
ummm.. Okay, LOL!!

I am a fluttering flybaby. I have fallen off the wagon bunches of times, but I climbed back on again this weekend.

The thing is, when it's working, it's wonderful. My stress level is much less, my house is clean, my family is fed and happy. So what the heck happens that keeps derailing me? If I could figure that out, I would be the happiest momma on the block....

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
Old 01-30-2005, 09:43 PM

Well, I have yet to shine my sink. : But the kitchen is soooooooooo much better, DP and I are getting into the groove of doing the dishes EVERYDAY (we have a dishwasher, but it's about the size of most trash compactors), and everywhere else gets better teensy bit by teensy bit.

Does anyone else have a problem with the name "control journal"? I'm a child of a twelve-step program, and anything with the word "control" in it (other than preceded by "let go of" :LOL) just doesn't sit well with me. Suggestions? I think having one would really help, I just can't call it that.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:49 PM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
Organizational Journal? To Do Journal? Arywn's Journal? Anything really would work,

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
Old 01-30-2005, 09:53 PM

I just re-joined Flylady after a long hiatus. She's corny and cheesy and the thinly veiled "testimonials" (advertisements for the products she sells) drove me crazy until I figured out I could delete them without reading them. BUT her method WORKS. It works REALLY WELL. My house already looks 100% better after just a few days and I FEEL a lot better, too, and I'm getting back into projects I used to enjoy but never had the mental space for.

And you don't even have to follow her program to the letter. I wear strap-on shoes instead of lace-up. :LOL I don't keep my sink shiny, either, because we don't have a dishwasher and I think it's gross to keep dirty dishes under the sink. I strongly prefer to leave them in the sink, wash them as soon as I can, and let them dry in a dish drainer over the other half of the sink. The whole bit about only doing 5 or 10 or 15 minutes of work at a time is a lifesaver, as is the idea of setting up routines. During my long hiatus, I kept some semblance of sanity in the house by knowing that first the bed was made, then the laundry was put away, etc.

for Flylady!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 01-31-2005, 01:09 AM

flying over here too I am not only very not-BO but was raised by a mother who couldnt be less BO... I read about flylady on here, actually, and started flying in early January. it has made a big difference, both with the house and with DH. It is amazing to see how much DH has gotten with the system, and with me, LOL!! Our relationship has gotten much better, both in the bedroom and out. I don't really mind the testomonials or anything, but I do delete alot of the emails w/o reading them. I have gotten several friends into flylady too. You know, there is a yahoogroup for AP Flybabyies, I don't remember what it is but I found it by searching for flylady and attachment parenting.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 AM

I am a Flybaby...I just joined tonight actually...funny that I found this thread tonight too!!! I will shine my sink tomorrow, and strap on a pair of shoes!!! LOL

Can't wait to get this house organized...I never cared for perfect, allI reall want is better!!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
Does anyone else have a problem with the name "control journal"? I'm a child of a twelve-step program, and anything with the word "control" in it (other than preceded by "let go of" :LOL) just doesn't sit well with me. Suggestions? I think having one would really help, I just can't call it that.

I had this same problem. Actually, my DH is opposed to the word "control". He has trouble w/ thinking that people are trying to control him... Anyway, I thought "Home Management Journal" sounded better.

I just started FLYing in November and my house is already sooo much better. I do think some of her emails are corny, but if I'm not in the mood for them, I just delete them! I do keep my sink shining and my bed made. I also try to get my clothes laid out the night before and get dressed (to the shoes) when I first get up.

So far it has really worked for me. I'm still not doing everything, but am slowly trying to incorporate more of her ideas into my daily routines.

I'm sooo glad there is a thread about Flylady here!! Sharing ideas is great!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM

I recently started a thread too in personal growth.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0&goto=newpost

I need all the help I can get
Old 01-31-2005, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I finished reading the book just last week. It was so motivational everynight going to that book and reading more, that's why I decided to start this thread... for motivational support.

I've gotten the morning and evening routines down good, and I just started to do the weekly house blessing last week. This week I'm going to start in on my zones. I still have a lot of 27 fling boogies to do. I admit though, I don't always wear my shoes, but I do notice that it puts an extra spring to my step.

Off to do my weekly house blessing.

Happy flying everyone!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:24 PM

Do you need to read the book? Is this the step that I am missing? I signed up on-line to get motivation -- which is great. But I feel like I'm missing some of the pieces.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, you're welcome.

Anyone else?

:
: this is dh since we started flylady
: this is dh before flylady.

any questions?

Actually the sexual energy aside (Wowieeee!) that I have as well as he does, he also helps out : with 99% of everything!! It has made him so sexy that he is also into keeping our house like this. I thought our sexual energy was fine before- but boy was I wrong. He is also into decluttering in a great way as well. It rubs off on your family very cool.

But we take some and leave some

Take:
declutter
clean kitchen sink- it leads to a cleaner kitchen
pretend we are selling our house to keep it neat
get dressed and ready to go early in the day
Bless my home a little

Leave:
wear shoes all day (not for me)
keep a control journal, I'm a pda kind of gal
zone cleaning- we have simplified so much it dosnt take long to clean our house. We like to think we are 15 minutes away from having company all the time. So if anyone drops by- the house looks fine.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-31-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smillerky
I had this same problem. Actually, my DH is opposed to the word "control". He has trouble w/ thinking that people are trying to control him... Anyway, I thought "Home Management Journal" sounded better.
Hmmm... "Mindful Home Management Journal." I kinda like the sound of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375
Do you need to read the book? Is this the step that I am missing? I signed up on-line to get motivation -- which is great. But I feel like I'm missing some of the pieces.
I don't think anyone needs to do any particular thing, you just do what it takes to make it work (like someone else said, take what you like, and leave the rest!). You, specifically, may need to read the book to really "get" it. If money's an issue (when isn't it? My 100k a year brother thinks of himself as poor), try reading EVERYTHING on the website first. Most of the book is actually on the site. For some people, it's easier to handle/get/read/accept in book form, though. And for me, it was nice being able to read it in bed/in the car/on the pot. It is really helpful to either read the whole site or the whole book before getting into it.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:21 AM

Flying here too!
We are actually not doing very much. But just listening to flylady's suggestions about clutter (I'm a recovering packrat) has helped me get rid of so much, that the house is seeming to clean itself lately. I just got rid of my gumwrapper collection, just so you see how bad it is. I am descended from packrats too, with not a single BO among us.

I read her emails. I don't do everything how she says and take my time on other things. For example, the first 6 months I just decluttered and ignored every other bit of advice, even the sink. Now, after flying for almost a year, I still have not made my control journal.
But that is OK. I do not need perfect, just PROGRESS, and I'm making plenty.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
I just got rid of my gumwrapper collection, just so you see how bad it is. .

:LOL :LOL :LOL

This made me laugh so hard I almost woke up the kids. Did you really have a gumwrapper collection? Or do you just have a delightful sense of humor?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375
Just mho, of course, but I think the book really helps. But more than the book, buying the control journal from her website was a huge turning point for me.

I set up the routines and it makes a major difference. I can't always get through all of them, but it is better to make a stab at it than to do nothing.

I also broke up the home blessing into sections because there is no way that I will ever have a block of time to do all of that stuff in one day until the children are older.

BTW, we need a more flexible yahoo AP flylady group. I posted in the other thread about it, but the one I tried and left was very heavily moderated, which was pretty funny for an ap flylady group.

I love this new MDC forum, don't you?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv
:LOL :LOL :LOL

This made me laugh so hard I almost woke up the kids. Did you really have a gumwrapper collection? Or do you just have a delightful sense of humor?
I'd like to think I do have a delightful sense of humor, but....

:
I really did just throw out my gum wrapper collection on Friday.
It was really hard to do, too. Harder than tossing my old Rolling Stones, harder than tossing my old clothes that didn't fit.
I even took a picture of it beforehand to remember it by.
Not kidding about any of this!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 AM

Will you post the pix? I gotta see it.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to change the name of My Control Journal to My Fly Journal, because it's so Fly.

I've noticed that in the Flylady program that the only cleaning for the tub/shower is wiping it down with a washcloth while your bathing. I decided to add it to My Weekly Houseblessing. Does anyone actually get by with just wiping it down, and it not get built up? My shower is one thing that I'm so proud of now. I used to always have my shower curtain closed because I was embarrased of all the build up, but now, I love seeing the reflection off of the tiles, that I intentionally leave the curtain open.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:37 PM

I'm a flybaby here, but I can honestly say my house is still in CHAOS!!!

It's really hard to do "just 15 minutes" when I'm dizzy and tired and sick. I think I'm going to have to aim for cleaning in 5 minute spurts instead.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-01-2005, 04:00 PM

I use flylady and it helps a ton! I don't follow it strictly though, I adjust it to my own life and needs. What I do really like is focusing on one room at a time. My daily routines involve things like laundry and general picking up all over the house, but knowing what room we're in gives me a focus, some direction, and I need that. Basically I just give extra attention to that room. So if my slipcovers need to be washed or my shower needs a good solid scrub, I just wait until we're in the proper room. It helps me not stress when I see something that needs to be done, because I know I'll get to it within a few weeks. It also helps me a lot, to be constantly reminded that my house doesn't need to be perfect in a day or two. I mean, we live here! And with a toddler! Heck, it take sme 30 minutes just to sweep the kitchen because ds (13m) is so 'helpful'. :LOL It just needs to be *better* than before I started. Like I used to never clean the bathroom because it seemed so daunting a task and I didn't 'have the time'. Now it's ok with me if I only get to the toilet, or just wipe the sink. Because hey! It's cleaner than it was before I did that, right? And I can do the next thing when I find a couple minutes.

That all said, I do periodically unsubscribe form the e-mails. Sometimes it's just irritating. Like befor ehte holidays, I swear the number of e-mails doubled. It was too much. And I don't have company at christmas, we go to other peoples houses so I didn't need it anyway. And she sure can ride that high horse sometimes, y/k? I always subscribe again after a fe wmonths but sometimes I need that break.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Flylady saved my marriage :LOL

DH was FED UP with me and my cluttery ways. And then I found Flylady, a few years ago, and I've been periodically FLYing since. Periodically because I fall off the freaking wagon all the time

Now, I'm pregnant, and starting to feel those nesting urges. Of course the problem is, we just moved into a new house and are renovating some rooms, so I can't even begin to get myself back on my regular Flylady routine. I'm planning on spending some time tweaking it to include some of the renovation stuff and disclude some of the stuff that would normally be going on in the rooms we're working on.

I don't subscribe to the emails; I check the website every day for zone updates and for Kelly's mission (I love doing Kelly's missions :LOL).

I do have the book, but I found that all the stuff in the book is available online on the website, too. It's very inspirational though.

Excited to find this forum and this thread in particular!!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 02-01-2005, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm bad about the e-mails. I changed it so that I only receive one a day (you just have to scroll down through the whole e-mail), so if I feel like reading it that day, I can, and if I don't, I only have one to delete. More often than not, I delete them without reading them, because I'm too busy on MDC.

I'm just thankful for My Fly Journal. I'm going to get rid of that flylady cartoon cover and make mine with dragonflies and butterflies, and label it My Fly Journal.

Off I go:
Old 02-01-2005, 07:27 PM

I received the emails for a while then I got rid of them. I bought the book and I still give it as a gift too. I gave the book away to my sil and it has helped her.

Since I now get rid of things I no longer need, it made sense to do that.

I found out about Flylady from LLL, she is on their endorsed books and I guess she speaks at the conference.

I found the control journal too controlling for my taste

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

User Tag List