Any other Flylady rejects out there? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 126 Old 02-10-2005, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I signed up a few days ago....and regret it. I received over 20 e-mails today!!! How do I stop being a FLYLADY???
#62 of 126 Old 02-10-2005, 01:18 AM

Never mind, I figured it out. I wasn't going to be wearing my shoes around the house neither
#63 of 126 Old 02-10-2005, 01:17 PM

I have to share a good thing...

I have a Mentoring Mom from our Women's Titus II ministry. She has been helping me declutter and organize. She is perfect match for me on so many levels. I am so thankful for her and our church's ministry. We have been meeting first 1X per week, now 2X per mo and sometimes everyweek depending on our schedules. She is a mom of 5 older children middle school through college.

On to the good thing...
I saw this thread and while I'm still FLYing my own way and taking tips that I find useful and ignoring the others. I was very happy to see there were more websites dedicated to organization. I wouldn't have known about those websites -- so, thank you all for posting those other websites. I'm looking over them to see what I can take from them that is useful to me.

In the mean time my Mentoring Mom called me yesterday to ask if I was done with the book she loaned me b/c she was asked to do a presentation on "decluttering" for our Women's Retreat. 1) I had no idea she was known at our church for being a BO!!! 2) I had all of these great websites to share with her!!!

So, when she does the presentation she will have a lot of useful information to pass on to other women and give them a place to start -- that is the hardest part, I think, starting. Especially when your perfectionist ideals are so far gone!

I love MDC and all the stuff I learn!!! Thanks.
#64 of 126 Old 02-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Another thumbs up for Sandra Felton's 'messie' books. There was a brief period back in 1998 where I had my house totally clean, organized and lived stress-free when it came to house work, and I credit her books. She seems to specialize in procrastinators (because she is one) and knows just how to get me motivated. Fast forward 2 more kids, and I've sort of fallen off the wagon again. I just bought her new book The New Messies manual because I couldn't find the other 3 books I have by her, so, 'nuff said.
#65 of 126 Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM

Shoes in the house :LOL

hola.gifElena ~  loving mom to  Alexander 8 fencing.gif Christopher 5.

#66 of 126 Old 02-13-2005, 09:04 PM

Ughh, i delete ~300 emails a week from flylady. Who could ever keep up!!

I'll try some of the other suggestions.
#67 of 126 Old 02-26-2005, 02:16 AM

Don't ask me why, we just don't. But I am definitely a bare foot mama. I tried fly lady and HATED the email clutter and systems. but as a new sahm I needed something, so I asked my SIL, the perfect SAHM to give me her top three tips. They were:
1. Deal with paper right away -- either file it or throw it out
2. Have one time of the day when you pick up / put away things.
3. Clean out your fridge before you go grocery shopping.
I also noticed that she does everything right away (which I never do -- I always wait until it is in a deplorable state and I can't stand it anymore). So like, she takes something out of the microwave and then she wipes out the microwave. She makes toast and then wipes the crumbs off the counter. And I started doing that and it works. Except I have a 5 month old and her kids are all over 10 now, so I make exceptions for myself.

I will definitely check out the other emails.

Also, I agree with the person who said that it's hard to fit into a structured system when you've spent your whole life trying to rebel against / change the system. In a systematic fashion, of course.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#68 of 126 Old 03-29-2005, 01:39 PM

I started my own thread on this subjuct, because I didn't see this one : .
#69 of 126 Old 04-17-2005, 01:02 AM

i flunked flylady..

never heard of motivated moms.. will check it out soon..

going to ebd now.....

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#70 of 126 Old 06-10-2005, 02:17 AM

i flunked flylady too...three times : .....do people really keep up with her? And is she still pretty popular right now? There's got to be a better way!!!!
#71 of 126 Old 06-11-2005, 10:47 AM

I cannot STAND flylady. I read her book, and thought a lot of the ideas were neat ones, in general, but largely I thought it was kind of neat to read someone's personal story like that.

When I looked online, and joined the mailing list, I could not believe how condescending she was, and how absurdly she thought that the ONLY way to be successful, was to do things exactly the way she had done them.

Guess what, lady? I'm not too pathetic to have a yard sale. Oh yes, she wrote a whole essay about how having yard sales would be a terrible idea---DO NOT DO IT, she repeats, DO NOT DO IT---because everyone would just fail, and then feel terrible about it, and then be another step back in the process. I've actually never wanted to have a yard sale, but I was offened at being told that I'm too pathetic to have one.

And I don't just dislike wearing shoes in the house, but I've never needed to have shoes on to feel ready to start the day. Not every needs every little thing this lady needs. I don't need a shiny sink. I need a clean sink. You know what I need so much more than a shiny sink? A made bed. Yup, a made bed makes all the difference FOR ME. I would never presume that a made bed makes all the difference for anyone else. It doesn't matter a lick to some people.

And storing things under beds is sacrilige to this lady too. Oh, no, it only makes it harder to clean under the bed, and besides, you'll just forget what's under there anyway. And if you don't have a place to store it "properly" then you probably don't need it anyway. I have to TOTALLY roll my eyes at ridiculous assumptions like that. She has No Clue what it's like to have to move from small apartment to small apartment every 2 years. I simply could not keep enough furniture for storage for reasonable things like, um, winter and summer clothes, or christmas decoractions. No, I'm not going to simply forget where I put the christmas decorations in our bitty apartment, and have to go buy all new ones. They're under the bed.
#72 of 126 Old 06-11-2005, 10:54 AM

Oh, and I really dislike how she has so much "flylady" merchandise that you can buy. It just rubs me the wrong way.
#73 of 126 Old 06-11-2005, 01:57 PM

I don't like the name
I don't like wearing shoes hardly ever(but when I do they are cool shoes or flip flops)
I didn't wear shoes to my own wedding, so who does she think she is?
I hate reading tons of emails. What a waste!
I like the encouragement
I don't really like my crockpot
I have 2 very needy children and can't keep a schedule very tightly
I ama control freak
I like to be in control too!
I do like the idea of 15 minutes at a time for projects, and a "little bit here and there"
I like her ideas for getting unusual projects and things you wouldn't think of done.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#74 of 126 Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM

Checking in as another flyflunkie! I have Motivated Moms but haven't really gotten into it yet. I used to get Star Organizer emails and liked them, but haven't gotten them in awhile. not sure what happened.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#75 of 126 Old 06-22-2005, 07:59 PM

I used ot love flylady. Not that it ever helped me get my house clean! :LOL I would subscribe off and on. But hten I finally just got fed up. She is way condescending. Much too uppity for my taste. I thinkthe one thing I took away was that tthe job really won't take as long as I htink it will, and it's ok to do little bits at a time. It's ok to scrub the toilet without cleaning hte entire bathroom top to bottom, you know? I shudder to think how much time I wasted reading her e-mails to figure those things out.
#76 of 126 Old 06-22-2005, 09:09 PM

Hi all I just joined on here and have been looking around the boards and this one jumped out at me.

I've been a memeber of flylady for over two years but you'd never know it to look at my house right now but its only 15 minutes messy.

I don't shine my sink, I don't wear shoes in the house, I don't read her emails. I do however post in the yahoo groups for flyladys and have great chats with the ladies from the maritimes I also have met a few woman locally and we go out for coffee a couple times a month or more. I get more motivation out ot the yahoo groups than I do from the flylady site.

Sometimes I feel that I don't really belong to the flylady group because I dont follow all the time but I have learned alot from her system and when I feel like following it it works pretty well. ( baby steps, use your timer, and you can do anything for 15 minutes)

I also have Leannes cookbook I havent used it in a while because Its hard to eat all those fancy meals when we grew up on meat and potatoes. but there were a few that we liked and I'll make them again when we have a little extra for groceries

I have a teenager who does nothing to help out and two young children who can mess a room faster than I can clean it but hey it keeps them happy so who am I to complain.

I tried the starorganization link that was posted and it didn't work.

Angela
#77 of 126 Old 07-31-2005, 04:23 AM

Well, I have been doing FlyLady for two years and I really like it. I chose not to receive the emails, and I don't ever wear lace-up shoes, even in the winter. And, I don't always stay on the program. But, that's OK.

The checklists have been really helpful. I suffer from depression, and it has really helped me to have lists so that I don't sit on the couch for an hour wondering where to start. It really works for me. I have adjusted them to fit my own household needs and my own capabilities (being pregnant and a mental case is very tiring.....) I also like Kelly's Missions, which are the five minute assignments. Mostly, though, I really like the structure, because that is what I need. It works for some people and not for others.

Finally, I like the idea of making up a few months worth of dinner plans and then just rotating through them. It helps me to not have to sit and wonder what to make for dinner. If it is already decided that the first Sunday of the month is three-bean stew night, then I can shop accordingly and not give my husband a bowl of cereal for dinner because I couldn't make up my mind.

I can see, however, why some people would not like it. You really have to find what works for your own family and your own energies.
#78 of 126 Old 07-31-2005, 06:44 AM

I can't find this star organizer you guys have been mentioning, is it gone? It sounds perfect for me
#79 of 126 Old 07-31-2005, 11:51 AM

I found a really cool site last night (actually a friend gave me the link) it's called "Home Clean Home" http://cleanhome.savedme.com/

It was started by a woman who was diagnosed with adult ADD. Everything she talks about sounds soooo much like me! Her "system" seems like something I could follow through with without feeling overwhelmed or like I have to conform to someone else's style of living just to live in a clean house!

Blessings,
#80 of 126 Old 07-31-2005, 01:32 PM

I can't be Fly :LOL I'm trying motivated moms, but I'm not going to pay for it. I'm just going to download the 2002 book and revamp it. Then I'll put it in a binder with plastic sheets, so I can change the dates and check off items every year.
#81 of 126 Old 07-31-2005, 03:59 PM

I did FlyLady for a year and a half. I liked reading the testimonials about how much easier life was when things were in order. Now I've unsubscribed simply because I think I've incorporated all of her system that I can.

Like with the zones - I do better just keeping a running list of things I notice that need to be cleaned. I still declutter, but I also have a running list for that. And her zones make no sense in my house. Our "master" bedroom is just like any other bedroom and is actually one of the easiest rooms to keep tidy in the entire house. But I could spend a week every month on just the office, which she doesn't seem to think exists.

The routines - I cannot follow a routine if my life depended on it. I am someone who likes to go with the flow and live in the moment. I've given up on routines.

I do find myself tidying the house before every meal, and I am a bit obsessive about keeping the clutter down. But I feel so much happier that way - it's like there's room in my brain to actually think instead of being overwhelmed by clutter.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#82 of 126 Old 07-31-2005, 10:19 PM

I love a clean house. But the whole "cleanliness is everything" thing just seems a bit much! I might skip a day of house cleaning to take a bike ride with my boy or take a nap with my shih tzu!

good witch
#83 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 02:38 PM

Fly Lady Flop.

I work full time so I never signed up for email. I did get some good tips that I have incorporated but overall I am at peace with myself and my clutter. If my friends don't like it then I need new friends.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#84 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM

I never did FlyLady, but this thread intrigued me, because I am flunking housework big time. So I went and looked at the website, and the first thing I clicked on was a sample routine. It was a bedtime routine, and it had all this stuff about setting the breakfast table and laying out your clothes and taking time for meditation, and what I really want to know is:

Where's the bit about walking the cranky baby around the block 8 times to help her settle down for bed, and wrestling her down long enough to get a clean diaper and some pyjamas on her? Where's the bit about reading three bedtime stories and then lying down next to her so she'll fall asleep, and dozing off for 45 minutes yourself because you were up with her from midnight to 4 am the night before? What about colic? Or a frequent nurser? If I had perfect kids who CIOed at an early age and slept all night in a crib, I might pull this off.

Anyone know a conquer-household-chaos helper that will incorporate young babies into the routine?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#85 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 03:39 PM

And what IS the deal with shining the sink? I would love to have a squeaky clean house, believe me, but I have never considered shining the darn sink to be the top priority!!!! Yeah, clean it, but SHINE it? EVERY DAY?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#86 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llyra
Anyone know a conquer-household-chaos helper that will incorporate young babies into the routine?
I agree! That's one of the things that really caught my attention about the clean home link I posted a little earlier. It's flexible! She is a nursing mama of two right now AND has adult add. She's the type of mama who has the attitude that if you are choosing between washing a few dishes in the sink or reading a story with your pleading daughter, READ THE STORY! The dishes will just be piled up after dinner anyway, so what's 3 more? LOL

I really like the way she organizes laundry and dishes, though, and how she makes cleaning very simple. I think a lot the way she does and it's easier for me to follow through with how she does it because I don't get as distracted or overwhelmed, and I don't feel the pressure of cleaning, scrubbing, reorganizing, and staring at my reflection in the sink all in one day!

blessings,
#87 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 04:39 PM

I missed that on my first read through the thread. I just went to check it out, and you're right, it's a lot more realistic and doable for a person like me. Thanks!!!

#88 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 05:20 PM

I checked out the site but there was so much information I couldn't handle it.
#89 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden/averymum
I checked out the site but there was so much information I couldn't handle it.
Hi there. I think the biggest issue with the site is the bar at the bottom. It makes it kind of confusing and distracting to read.

My suggestion, to make things simpler and easier on the site (this is what I did), is to go to the main page, don't read anything, but click on the thing that says, "Take the Quiz" (on the right). That was the part of the site that got me interested. Then at the end of the "quiz" it has a thing to click on that says "Get Started with CleanHome Today". This part helps you understand her system a little better and get a feel for what it's all about, and why it's different than the other two I can't follow (motivated moms and flylady), lol.

HTH
#90 of 126 Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM

Can I post something here that I got in Email form from the CleanHome lady? It's an email she sends out after you sign up for her yahoo group and it is really good...even if you don't like/choose her method, it's just overall a good email about cleaning and living your life.

blessings,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page