No more junk mail! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-03-2005, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a great site that shows how to stop all the billions of pieces of junkmail we get each year. I did this after practically losing my table under all the junkmail. I especially love returning it BACK to them.

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/WPW/Home/JunkMail.htm
#2 of 7 Old 02-04-2005, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Return junk mail unopened to the sender by writing "Refused. Return to sender." on the envelope. Without this special notation; the post office will not return the mail to the sender.
I tried this once and the mailman told me I'd have to pay the return postage. Also, a lot of things are not in envelopes, like Safeway mailings.

But I have my own thing I'm doing:
I'm going to take on only one or two places at a time, and then work on the others once those have stopped. So I'm doing AOL and Bi-Mart now.

With the AOL cd's, I send them to this place that is collecting a million of them to send back to AOL all at once. They are over halfway there! You just send the disc and recycle the packaging.

With Bi-Mart, I've decided to send back the coupon books they give me, as well as any other junk mail I have received that day. I then send a letter saying I thought they might like these special offers, and request once again to be taken off their list. I made it clear that nasty letters weren't the only thing I was capable of sending, IYKWIM...

Next I'm going to focus on Safeway and Rite-Aid. I live near them so I can just bring back their flyers to the customer service department.

After that will be the credit card companies. I think I'll do what I'm doing with Bi-Mart.

BTW, all of these companies are ones we've tried asking to be off the list, but they never listen.
#3 of 7 Old 02-04-2005, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
I tried this once and the mailman told me I'd have to pay the return postage.
Not if the envelope is stamped "address correction requested" or "return postage guaranteed". If it is, just write "Refused, Return to sender".

Good idea about the AOL disks. I literally get them twice a week.
#4 of 7 Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 AM

..Great link BTW. I was looking it over and I noticed the toll free number to opt out of the credit bureaus selling your name for pre-approved credit card offers - since this is most of our junk mail and I could do it right away, I called. Apparently you can do it online: https://www.optoutprescreen.com (without some convoluted $5 charge like that stupid DMS has - its ridiculous it actually costs them more money to process your request by mail - they are just trying to make it prohibitive)

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#5 of 7 Old 02-04-2005, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#6 of 7 Old 02-05-2005, 01:16 PM

I've been sending them their stuff back also when I can, but my concern is that the paper will not be recycled. Yeah, I'm anal, but when I have it at home at least I know it's going to be recycled. What do you guys think?
#7 of 7 Old 02-05-2005, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

In my experience working at companies, all paper that can be recycled gets recycled. It's cheaper to pay for it to be recycled than to add it to the normal rubbish (trash). Your local sanitation department could explain exactly why, if you want the figures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page