Too Much Stuff!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-05-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in the wrong place a few days ago, I'm hoping this topic might be more appropriate here...

What should I do with all of the toys we recevied for the holidays and don't want? My 10 mos. ds doesn't play with any of the plastic noisy toys, and he has so many. They lurk in the playroom corner and gather dust. I personally do not like these toys either. He really spends most of his time with books and blocks and household things. My old empty wallet is a favorite. I think it's because there is more room for imagionation in these objects.
Anyway, I feel guilty and awful for saying and thinking this only because these were gifts from people who love him (and who will visit and want to see him playing with them). Can I and how do I ask politely in the future for them not to spend precious dollars on stuff that we don't want? Also, I'd love any recommendations for natural, educational toys. TIA.
#2 of 3 Old 02-05-2005, 02:23 PM

we freecycle and/or donate a lot of our stuff...and the junk get thrown out...
When ds1 was younger, I gave SO SO SO much stuff to daycares--they LOVE to have toys and kid furniture that is in good shape. Clothes are always good too. So that might be another option. Women's shelters need stuff constantly too, but I haven't dont that,so I'm not sure how they deal with donations of kid things...

as for talking to family, this xmas we told them that ANYTHING with batteries was getting donated to the Salvation Army. We didn't care what it was or how much it cost or how collectible it was. We also sent them a list of things the kids wanted/needed....from places like chinaberry.com, rosiehippo.com, and the like.
And...our other big thing was to get family to PLEASE give the kids money for their activities. Ds1 is taking gymnastics and ice skating and wants to start karate...ds2 was doing gymnastics (but we opted to stop that and use the $$ towards membership at the local kids museum and zoo!)
It went over REALLY well--both kids got great stuff and family wasn't too offended
well..my parents did buy a couple of huge things (a wooden rocking horse that is almost to big for our 9yo, nevermind our then 21 month old!!) that they are upset had to stay at their place ( :LOL downstairs :LOL )....but our place is just too small. We were polite, but firm--they were okay with it, just bummed that THEY had to find room for it!

hth

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#3 of 3 Old 02-05-2005, 02:26 PM

My feeling on it is, if the child is really not interested in a certain toy, than it does not need to be here. I am in the same boat.........my kids have TONS of toys. There are certain plastic toys that are not so bad, just me, but I do like to have mostly wooden ones.

What we have done is given the toys to a local women's shelter, and/or a thrift store. I told my family that we have gone through our toys and gotten rid of any that were not used that often. They understood, b/c interests change due to kids getting older, new toys, etc.

I also explained that I wanted my kids to have toys that would last, sparked imagination, and were "classic." If they want to send noisies, they could send instruments instead. Otherwise, you could keep the toy buying for yourself, and maybe ask family for art supplies, instruments, games, etc?

HTH!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page