Three cheers for Freecycle! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-09-2005, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The past couple of weeks I have gotten rid of a lot of unwanted stuff through Freecycle, and it's been awesome! I even found a home for seven bags of opened/partially used cleaning supplies and beauty products that I didn't want but couldn't figure out what else to do with! (Some of this stuff had been living under my sinks for years!)

Freecycle is also great for those things that you want to find a new home for, but don't want to send off to just anybody. I.e. things that need to go with a disclaimer, that you think might get trashed at Good Will because of missing parts, or that you want to make sure are going to someone who really needs them. And if you're the type that has a hard time letting go, but would be able to if you knew it was going to a "friend", then maybe this is your answer!

So sign up with a freecycle list near you (http://www.freecycle.org) and get decluttering!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#2 of 14 Old 02-09-2005, 11:54 PM

I second that!

Freecycle has single-handedly saved my marriage -- my MIL can't throw anything away, and works for UPS so she regularly ships boxes of random household crap to us and DH refuses to tell her to knock it off! Grrr! But there seems to always be someone on FreeCycle who can use a semi-functional bread maker, or another set of cheap steak knives and is more than willing to drop by our house to pick whatever it is up!

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#3 of 14 Old 02-10-2005, 02:51 PM

I freecycle. It is a great way to get stuff out of my house that I no longer need, but can't bear to toss (or large things that I don't want to haul to the dump, like our broken gas grill).

I have also gotten some things that I really needed, but couldn't otherwise afford right now...like a bedframe for our bed that was sitting on the ground, and a brand new crockpot
I also got a lawnmower from freecycle for my poor dh who had been "mowing" the lawn with a weed-whacker :LOL
#4 of 14 Old 02-10-2005, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love freecycle too! I got rid of a whole bunch of stuff that I didnt need anymore last month. I need to go through the toy bins......ds keeps getting new toys and the old ones are just left to sit. LOL

The website is actually http://www.freecycle.org if anyone wants to join!

Desiree

#5 of 14 Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 PM

I Freecycle. HIP HIP HOORAY FOR FREECYCLE!!!!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#6 of 14 Old 02-11-2005, 08:32 PM

It is hard in Manhattan. Too many wants, no offers and when I do offer people never show

I miss my Phoenix freecycle days

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#7 of 14 Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 PM

I'm glad you are having good experiences.
I, however, am dealing with a power hungry dictator of a mod.
Still, I have managed to give away a computer and printer, several bags of baby/kid clothes, and a leather chair and hassock.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 14 Old 02-11-2005, 10:54 PM

Apparently a lot of people in our group have problems with others not showing up to get their stuff, but that hasn't happened to me yet. I got rid of some butt-ugly 70's-style curtains, a hamster cage, wrapping paper, etc. But haven't gotten anything yet -- not quick enough on the draw
#9 of 14 Old 02-12-2005, 12:25 PM

In my local group...after 2 no-shows you get the boot.

I am not sure if this is standard freecycle policy, or what keeps our group running smoothly
#10 of 14 Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 AM

I like the idea of Freecycle, but have had the same problems as others: NO SHOWS.

I've tried to Freecycle several items, but always end up donating them to the local Goodwill because the people just don't show up when they say they will - even after trying for a second time!

Maybe I'll give it one more shot...
#11 of 14 Old 02-15-2005, 12:22 PM

no shows: I generally try to make it super easy for someone to pick up --- my dh WAH so that makes it easier, but we still leave the option "I can leave it on my front porch" or I offer to drop off if the person is in my general area.

I'd rather someone use the item and I drop it off than I pay the dump to take it away.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#12 of 14 Old 02-22-2005, 12:32 PM

I can't seem to register for the Freecycle here, and I've tried a few times. I thought maybe the Moderator knows me from about town and doesn't like me? I'll try again sometime, I guess. Here, if you set stuff on the curb, with a sign that says "take me", poor folks get it- maybe the kind of folks without leisure computer time.
#13 of 14 Old 02-22-2005, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What I like best about Freecycle is the way it gets rid of the "But I might need this someday" mentality. Previously, I was afraid to get rid of stuff that I might someday find useful and end up spending money to replace.

So, what do you do if you give something away and then you find you need it again a few months or years later? Answer: post a "wanted" message on Freecycle!!! So go ahead and give it away- I don't need it now, somebody else does, and I can replace it if I ever need it again.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 14 Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 PM

I freecycle! I've had problems with no-shows, but I have fixed it by posting, "I have xyz available. If it is still here on (name date within a week's time) then it will go curbside/community clothing cupboard/goodwill/wherever. People make a point to come usually! I've given away many baby wraps and kombucha mushrooms, sewing seconds, kids' toys, our jumparoo, etc., and gotten great picnic baskets, games, train tracks. I love writing mamas who are looking for a pile of baby stuff to tell them I can save them the trouble by giving them/teaching them to use a wrap. I look for inexpensive fabric for just this purpose.

I've even mailed some stuff if people send me postage, as our freecycle area is pretty big.

I love not having to load stuff into the car and drive it and drop it somewhere too ... it eliminates the stagnant giant pile that tends to live in my entryway. (Plenty of other piles to take its place though!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page