What to do with baby/child stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-10-2005, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should outgrown clothes and toys be stored in case we have more kids (which we do plan to do, but we will probably be adopting and don't know what age the child would be, and it will be a few years anyway), or should I just get rid of the stuff and get new stuff when the new kid(s) arrives?

Namaste!
#2 of 12 Old 02-10-2005, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had everything saved too but then a friend of mine got temporary custody of a baby and she needed it so I gave her the clothes and loaned her the bigger items (bed rails, changing table, etc). I figure I'll just buy more clothes later. I might not even have a boy again so if they sit there for years and then I have a girl, they sat there being wasted, ykwim? LOL

Desiree

#3 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 AM

Struggling with this too. And to make it harder, we have a boy and a girl, so any hypothetical future kid would be set. but the rubbermaid bins are really stacking up....

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#4 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 AM

It has come back to haunt me a time or two, but i purge purge purge. So this baby didn't have a swing, oh well. Yes, the bassinet would have been nice to have.... but there is no way ican save it all. I have 3 young boys and I don't keep everything eitehr. If I kept everything, there would be no presents later. I got tons of hand me downs, and I kept only what I wanted. I then went through and purged more stuff. Now that I keep up on the laundry, I don't need 20 outfits perkid...that only get tossed on the floor anyway while they look for that same shirt everyday.

Besides, as a mama who has been doing this awhile, the baby stuff just gets cooler and cooler... or your find something better...donate it to a woman's shelter, freecycle or even sell it. It can't help anyone in storage. And the car seats expire....
#5 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 01:28 PM

I think if you have the space to store stuff and you like the stuff you have, you should store it.

We had no closets in either of our houses but finally got a shed. I was much happier to have saved a few things for the new babe than to have to run out in my "nesting frenzy" and buy them all again.

I do wish I had kept the cloth diapers and my maternity pants and even a bunch of clothes.

I think it is a waste of money to give things away or even sell them for a reduced price if you know you are going to use them in the future.

I am finally getting rid of everything, even the swing. It is kind of a ceremonial "I'm not having any more kids" thing.
#6 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 PM

Decide which is more important - space now by getting rid, or not having to repurchase in x number of years.
#7 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

I just faced this dilemma.

I sorted about 10 bins full of baby kids stuff........I forced myself to get rid of (meaning put away in bags to be sold) two bags of stuff, an extra bassinet, swing, bouncy chair......I sold the bassinet and chair, planning to sell the otehr stuff.

I figure anything I got rid of wasn't used even when I would have needed it, so why keep it.......other stuff is neatly in huge bins one on top of the other in basement.

Good luck.
#8 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 05:24 PM

We will have another eventually, but have no room to store stuff. What I did was saved all the GN stuff and the girl stuff I absolutly loved. Any grils stuff I wasn't totally in love with I took to the childern's resale shop, what didn't sell went to good will. Same with toys. The $ eaither go into e's savings or to buy bigger things. Big stuff -- bouncer, swing, goes into MILs garage.
#9 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 08:31 PM

I regift what I can.

The stuff I love, stuff that is like new, stuff that I cannot part with, like all the Petit Bateau, we keep at my parents in a cedar closet.

Otherwise it goes to charity and mamas who need it.

When I have a new wee one, I will want to shop AGAIN! PLUS who is to say the seasons will work out right and the gender as well.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#10 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 08:31 PM

I did keep most of the receiving blankets and all my favorite cloth diapers as well.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#11 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had been saving stuff, but
1. we need money and
2. I live to bargain/thrift/yard sale shop so much I end up buying new stuff anyway
Sooooo... we are getting rid of everything except really cute stuff, clothes with special memories, and organic/natural stuff

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 12 Old 02-11-2005, 10:47 PM

I'm glad to see this thread. I really hate keeping things, although I have not been able to bring myself to give stuff away either ("it's perfectly good stuff") -- in most areas of my life I am NOT a packrat and I'm not sure why this is so hard for me.

Some good advice I received is to just keep the stuff you really love for future kids. If #2 is a girl I am going to have a buttload of things to get rid of, and I'm sure I won't be bothered to sell it or even write it all down for tax purposes. Hmm, maybe a good pregnancy "nesting" project....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page